SkeptiCamp format

Crystal Yates-White

Feb 26, 2009, 11:08:30 AM2/26/09
to SkeptiCamp
I think it's time to decide the length of time-slots we are going to
allow for SkeptiCamp Colorado 3.

There has been some discussion as to whether to include "blitz"
sessions that are 5-10 minutes long. I personally love this idea, and
when I have suggested it to potential speakers, many have said they
would be more willing to present if such were offered.

My suggestion is to schedule the blitz sessions to occur after lunch
(when our attention spans may be dwindling somewhat) and for them to
be 10 minute slots (5 minute talk, 5 minute questions/discussion) or
perhaps 15 minute slots (10 minute talk, 5 minute questions/
discussion).

What are people's thoughts??

Outside of the blitz sessions, I propose having 25 minute and 50
minute slots, with a 10 minute break every hour.

What do you think?

Amy Phillips

Feb 26, 2009, 11:38:38 AM2/26/09
to skept...@googlegroups.com
I think the blitz Idea is great for an hour or two after lunch.
I would stick with 25 minute presentations at the most-50 minute presentation may make people's eye glaze over.
Amy

Rich Ludwig

Feb 26, 2009, 1:17:36 PM2/26/09
to skept...@googlegroups.com
I think the main thing Colorado has had a problem with is keeping people on track and not running over.  I like the idea of blitz but how does one question evidence in a short period of time?  seems like it might be stretching the idea that the audience should be able to question the presentations.  Seems like a good place for the gish gallop.  I would propose that these blitz be more of 5 minutes presentations with 10 minutes Q and A.  The idea being you can throw out a lot of info in 5 minutes but to go through and dissect the information takes a longer time and if there aren't any questions then you can move on to the next presentation.
--
- Rich