Skepticamp t-shirt controversy

1 view

Reed Esau

Nov 30, 2008, 11:14:17 PM11/30/08
to SkeptiCamp
At our recent organizer meeting a number of ideas were raised
regarding t-shirts, some of them quite controversial:

1. T-shirts or not?

There's no rule that says that t-shirts are required, though offering
them (or similar swag) will be prized by at least some of your
participants. (I personally think they are a great way to anchor the
event in the minds of the participants.)

2. Cheap or quality? Is there a difference between the $3 and $8
shirt?

For our first event, we had a three-color screenprint on a decent
quality cotton/rayon blend shirt, where the cost was about $8. I doubt
that the same quality is possible at a lower price point, but I could
be wrong.

3. Sponsor logos on shirts?

Having logos on shirts is unpopular among most barcamps, though it's
apparently done at a few. See http://www.cleverclevergirl.com/?p=10
for more details.

4. Free t-shirts for all, or just the presenters and volunteers, or
everyone pays?

Our first two events in Colorado had free shirts for all, though as
these events grow, this becomes an increasing burden.

Organizers have a number of options here. There is no correct answer.
Let's try different things and see where we can best strike a balance.

elaine gilman

Nov 30, 2008, 11:30:52 PM11/30/08
to skept...@googlegroups.com
Maybe t-shirts for participants and door prizes, along with whatever swag we can get from others?