10/19 - WAR's 21st Annual Eastern Shore Skate (Rain Date 10/20)

Maureen Cohen Harrington

Sep 18, 2019, 6:36:06 PM9/18/19
to Skate DC, SkateDcOld, Peaceskate, SQSpeedTeam, DC Inner City Excellence
Please join Washington Area Roadskaters on Saturday, October 19 for our 21st annual “So Long to Summer” Eastern Shore Skate.

The Facebook event page is at https://www.facebook.com/events/681659099005564

The skate will start at 11 AM from the Municipal Parking Lot at the corner of Talbot and Mill Streets in St. Michaels. If the lot is full, additional parking is available farther down Mill Street.

Google Map Directions to the start of the skate: http://bit.ly/cZfEvn

Our traditional 29-mile loop takes us from St. Michaels to Easton, south to historic Oxford, where we’ll cross the Tred Avon River by ferry, and return to St. Michaels. It has taken about 4 hours in the past, including the wait for the ferry.

The roads are flat, have mostly excellent pavement, and have wide bike lanes. We plan to skate at an intermediate pace with two planned rest stops (bathrooms and refreshments available). There are usually pacelines for those who want to do that. We will also have a couple of regroup points for people to catch up. If you aren’t up for skating, you’re welcome to join us on a bike.

Our post-skate meal will be at Ava’s Pizzeria & Wine Bar, 409 S. Talbot Street, St. Michael's, MD 21663. Ava’s is only a few blocks from our parking lot. http://avaspizzeria.com/

Our rain date is the following day, Sunday the 20th. If the weather looks bad or questionable, I will post an update the Facebook event. Let's focus event discussion there, to reduce confusion (especially on event day) as to where to post and look.

What to bring?

-- Water or energy drinks. Opportunities to purchase are about 10 miles apart.

-- Money for the Bay Bridge toll, the Oxford-Bellevue Ferry, and dinner.

-- A fleece or windbreaker. It's usually windy on the Eastern Shore.

-- Change of clothes for dinner. Changing isn’t required, but you’ll appreciate the warm/dry clothing.

_______________________________________

Route Cue Sheet:

Start from corner of Talbot St. and Mill St. in St. Michaels, MD:

L (S on) Route 33 (N. Talbot St) 8 miles

RGP after passing Rt. 370 (Unionville Rd/Old Bloomfield Rd):

Carroll's Market at Exxon Mobil (our first rest stop, at 27748 Saint Michaels Rd)

Continue E on Rt 33 (St. Michaels Rd) 1.5 miles

R Route 322 (Easton Pkwy) 1.5 miles

R Route 333 (Oxford Rd) 9 miles

RGP just before High St in Oxford:

Oxford Convenience Market (our second rest stop, at 203 S Morris Street)

Continue NW on Oxford Rd to Tred Avon River

Oxford-Bellevue Ferry over the Tred Avon River
The ferry is at 27456 Oxford Road. There are crossings every 15 – 20 minutes, with each crossing taking 7 – 10 minutes. $4 for skaters, $5 for bikes. See http://www.oxfordbellevueferry.com/

Continue on Bellevue Rd 3 miles

L Route 329 (Royal Oak Rd) 1 mile

L Route 33 (St. Michaels Rd) 3.5 miles

R Mill St

End at the starting point, by the parking lot.

Those who want to join us for dinner will then head to Ava’s.

_______________________________________

This skate is a continuing memorial to Ed Irmler.

"For those who didn't skate with Ed Irmler, he led the St Michael's skate, led every year, and it continues in honor of him. Ed was killed several years ago while cycling in MD by a motorist who ran a stop sign. Those who've been with WAR for XX years miss Ed very much and remember him for the phenomenal friend, skate leader, and person he was. It's so wonderful that WAR continues to honor him with this skate." -- Meg Peters

"Ed was one of the first skaters in WAR I met. I can honestly say I can call him a mentor in the regards of street skating. He knew how to have fun but was smart about it too. I had the fortune of teaming with him and his wife on one of the CAM triathlons and i still cherish and remember that day. He was truly a great human, skater, and inspiration. Ed, we miss you." -- Chuck Opperman

Maureen Cohen Harrington

Oct 16, 2019, 6:51:16 PM10/16/19
to Skate DC, SkateDcOld, Peaceskate, SQSpeedTeam, DC Inner City Excellence
  Feeling rained out? Join us for some sun and fun at Saturday's Eastern Shore Skate! Happy to welcome some skaters from Florida and NYC. Let's roll!

Maureen Cohen Harrington

Oct 17, 2019, 12:04:57 PM10/17/19
to Skate DC, SkateDcOld, Peaceskate, SQSpeedTeam, DC Inner City Excellence
Hello again. Please allow extra time for your commute to Saint Michaels on Saturday morning, due to backups on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. My carpool is leaving about 30 minutes earlier than usual. Thanks!