Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit xbox Kinect drivers do not seem to work

Jon C.

Feb 14, 2013, 5:10:02 PM2/14/13
to ska...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,
I've tried using other packages and install methods before for Windows 8 and none worked with other scanning software but all seem to use variations of OpenNI and SensorKinect.   The information out there so far seems to say that windows 8 driver support is poor.  However, I have recently seen a few users stating they are using Windows 8.

Is there anything new to allow Windows 8 to function with xbox Kinect now?

There may be old drivers in the system, is it required to do some type of previous driver cleaning or registry edits? if so, what can I do to clean the previous old drivers

Please provide some pointers

Thanks

Nicolas Burrus

Feb 15, 2013, 1:40:59 AM2/15/13
to Jon C., skanect
Hi,

Are you using Skanect 1.1? The best drivers for Xbox are OpenNI, but
on Windows 8 Microsoft drivers may be overwritting them. Installing
the Kinect for Windows SDK should fix these issues, Skanect 1.1 now
supports it for Xbox, too:

Please let us know if it still does not work.
Thanks,

Derek Jacoby

Feb 21, 2013, 9:43:59 PM2/21/13
to ska...@googlegroups.com, Jon C.
doesn't work. Recent win8 install, install kinect for windows sdk, install skanect. Start skanect and some text appears strange and no sensor detected. Go to the new tab, press start, crash. Log attached.

Thx,

Derek
skanect.txt

Nicolas Burrus

Feb 22, 2013, 2:42:09 AM2/22/13
to Derek Jacoby, skanect, Jon C.
Hi Derek,

Could you send us the log file you can get from Skanect itself? You
should see an "Open Log File" button when you start the program. Could
you also send a screenshot of the text appearing "strange"?

Here it works fine with Windows 8 64 bits / Kinect for Windows SDK, so
we would need your help to track this down.

Thanks,
Nicolas

Derek Jacoby

Feb 22, 2013, 2:48:48 AM2/22/13
to Nicolas Burrus, skanect, Jon C.
Sure, here you go. Thanks.

--Derek
skanect.png
skanect-2013-02-22_07_46_43.log

Nicolas Burrus

Feb 22, 2013, 2:51:34 AM2/22/13
to Derek Jacoby, skanect, Jon C.
Thank you very much.

It seems like the Kinect for Windows is not connected to the power
plug, but this may also be because the drivers did not install
properly. Do Kinect for Windows sample programs work correctly?

You should also install the latest NVidia drivers for your graphics
card, they seem a bit outdated. Could you try upgrading them?

Derek Jacoby

Feb 22, 2013, 3:08:49 AM2/22/13
to Nicolas Burrus, skanect, Jon C.
Oh man, I was plugging it into an outlet that is dead!

Afraid with that fixed, and the sample program detecting properly I still get the same error, though.

I am running on a Lenovo X200 with an Intel graphics card, so the NVidia drivers better not be up to date! Is that a requirement of your system?

I've attached a new log file. Thanks for taking a look at this, Nicolas.

--Derek
skanect-2013-02-22_08_05_34.log

Nicolas Burrus

Feb 22, 2013, 2:00:10 PM2/22/13
to Derek Jacoby, Nicolas Burrus, skanect, Jon C.
Great :)

A high-end NVidia graphics card is required for the GPU fusion, but
you should be able to use Skanect in CPU mode without your setup. The
results won't be so good though.

It seems like there are some graphics issues with old graphics card,
this would explain the strange fonts, we have to dig into this.

Leo Sorge

Apr 13, 2013, 5:06:18 PM4/13/13
to ska...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Burrus
I need help.
My Kinect for Xbox doesn't work on my Asus N56VZ S4363H GEForce GT650M with Microsoft drivers and Skanect 1.3.0 software.

It gives twice a R6025 runtime error, saying "pure virtual function call".

I updated nvidia drivers.

I hope somebody can update me!

10x

Leo

Leo Sorge

Apr 13, 2013, 5:09:51 PM4/13/13
to ska...@googlegroups.com, Nicolas Burrus

Nicolas Burrus

Apr 16, 2013, 1:50:23 PM4/16/13
to Leo Sorge, skanect
Hi Leo,

What version of the Kinect for Windows SDK are you using? Is it the
latest 1.7? Do Microsoft samples work?

Leo Sorge

Apr 16, 2013, 3:46:19 PM4/16/13
to ska...@googlegroups.com
What version of the Kinect for Windows SDK are you using? Is it the
latest 1.7?

yes, it's version 1.7.

Do Microsoft samples work?

No, they don't.
All of them, if double-clicked, launch a text window that flashes for a fraction of a second before disappearing.

The Kinect device green light blinks all the time.

Nicolas Tisserand

Apr 16, 2013, 7:42:18 PM4/16/13
to Leo Sorge, skanect
Hi Leo,

If the Kinect SDK samples don't work, then there's not much we can do for you, I'm afraid. Maybe you could try on another computer and/or borrowing another sensor somewhere?

Also, Is your Kinect properly enumerated in the windows device manager? If not, you might want to try reinstalling the Kinect drivers.

Best,
Nicolas

Leo Sorge

Apr 16, 2013, 10:24:21 PM4/16/13
to ska...@googlegroups.com

If the Kinect SDK samples don't work, then there's not much we can do for you, I'm afraid. Maybe you could try on another computer and/or borrowing another sensor somewhere?

My sensor still works on my old Asus with Vista Opsys, but the CPU power is too low.

Also, Is your Kinect properly enumerated in the windows device manager?

Yes, it is. It was not with the Open Nui drivers.

Thank you.

L.

Nicolas Burrus

Apr 17, 2013, 11:34:04 AM4/17/13
to Leo Sorge, skanect
Quick question, did you install the full Microsoft SDK, or only the
runtime? You need the full SDK to use it with Kinect for Xbox.
Message has been deleted