how can i change the minimal distance to scan

Court circuit

Jan 18, 2014, 8:52:46 AM1/18/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
I use skanect with a Windows Kinect and i would like to know if it possible to reduce the distance to have more accuracy.
Thanks

Jan Krummrey

Jan 18, 2014, 9:33:23 AM1/18/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
I've tried the glasses mod with a Kinect and it didn't work. So no luck with reducing distance or improving resolution.

Court circuit

Jan 18, 2014, 11:32:20 AM1/18/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
I've read somewhere that in one of the config file of skanect, you can reduce the mininal range of capture.
By default, i guess  it is 80cm and my Kinect can work at 40 cm.

eyebee

Jan 21, 2014, 6:21:19 AM1/21/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
Hi Court Circuit,

Be very interested to hear how you got your Kinect down to 40cm, especially now the Carmine 1.0.9 is no longer an option.

Is it using lenses like the Nyko zoom or have you modded the actual kinect?

Thanks,

Eyebee

eyebee

Jan 21, 2014, 6:27:15 AM1/21/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
Knew I'd seen details somewhere,

CC - take a look at this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/skanect/config/skanect/gQhLg7albPc/-MJvDIz3BlIJ

 (message near the bottom of the thread from Nicolas) and this one:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/skanect/intrinsics/skanect/1IpxYHtJnSI/ai73LZj8dCoJ

Let us know how you get on.

Court circuit

Jan 21, 2014, 2:59:17 PM1/21/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com

Court circuit

Jan 21, 2014, 3:07:46 PM1/21/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyboy and thanks for the answers...
I will try to add an ini.file to add parameters in an "file".ini . I find them in an example of Nicolas Tisserand :

[DepthSensor]
focal-x = 548
focal-y = 548
center-x = 320
center-y = 240

[ColorSensor]
focal-x = 548
focal-y = 548
center-x = 320
center-y = 240
My first question is : Is it a standard configuration or how i can find the good informations for my windows Kinect ?

My second question :
I looked to my log and i see this :

INFO: Kinect for Windows: depth stream opened.
WARNING: Kinect for Windows: could not set near mode
WARNING: Kinect for Windows: must be an Xbox Kinect.

But i use a Windows Kinect.
How can i change that ?

 Frédéric

eyebee

Jan 22, 2014, 6:04:43 AM1/22/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com
Hi Frederic,

Not used a Windows Kinect so can't help there.

From what I understand the config files can be used to 'fine tune' the calibration of your Kinect (as following the steps in the post by Nicolas Burrus achieves https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/skanect/config/skanect/gQhLg7albPc/-MJvDIz3BlIJ).

Probably also worth reading this post:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openni-dev/AalaGKOpApI

eyebee

Jan 22, 2014, 12:56:07 PM1/22/14
to ska...@googlegroups.com

Nicolas Burrus

Jan 23, 2014, 12:03:00 PM1/23/14
to Court circuit, skanect
Hi,

You should not need to change the focal length parameters, unless you
got some better calibration parameters using an external calibration
tool. The minimum distance won't change with this file. Are you 100%
sure you own a Kinect for Windows and not a Xbox one? What drivers did
you install? You need to have the 1.7 version of the Kinect SDK
installed http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=275588 .

Then when scanning in object and body mode, the Kinect should be set
in "near mode", which means the minimal distance will be about
40-45cm.

Best,
Nicolas