Using Skanect without a router

dr01...@yahoo.com

Apr 14, 2017, 12:06:25 AM4/14/17
to Skanect
I need a portable system that I can take with me in the car.  I can take the iPad and laptop but don't have a router for the car.
Is there a way to connect them directly?
I'm running Windows 10 and tried to set up an ad hoc network but the iPad and Skanect don't see each other.  The iPad can connect through the laptop to the internet so it's set up correctly.  I guess that Skanect isn't seeing the ad hoc connection.  Is there a way to force it?

Richard Grenfell

Apr 15, 2017, 9:16:46 AM4/15/17
to Skanect
You can purchase portable travel wireless routers that will let you set up portable networks.

I bought this one of amazon a few years ago and it works fine. Its now discontinued but I'm sure there much be other similar devices available

HooToo Wireless Travel Router, USB Port, 6000mAh External Battery Pack Travel Charger - TripMate Black (Not a Hotspot)

DR01...@yahoo.com

Apr 15, 2017, 7:05:23 PM4/15/17
to Skanect
Thanks Richard,

I was hoping for a more elegant solution but....

charli...@occipital.com

Sep 28, 2017, 3:09:32 PM9/28/17
to Skanect
Hey Dr01,

You are using Structure Sensor with your iPad, right?

Give a little more info about how exactly they don't see each other. Sometimes the Ad Hoc takes messing with settings. Here's a workflow for you:

Windows 8, 8.1, or 10

  1. Open the Command Prompt (CMD) as an Administrator
    Windows 8 & 8.1 - Press the Windows key + X + A
    Windows 10 - Right click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. To ensure that your network interface supports the Hosted Network feature, type the following command and press Enter:
    netsh wlan show drivers
  3. If “Hosted network supported” shows “Yes”, proceed to step 4. If it says “No”, you can try to update your wireless driver. If the updated driver still does not help, then you will need to upgrade your hardware.
  4. To configure Ad Hoc Wireless connection, type this command in the command prompt and press Enter:
    netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<your desired network name> key=<your desired password>
  5. To start your new network, type this command and press Enter: netsh wlan start hostednetwork
  6. Navigate to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center. Click on “Change adapter settings
  7. Right-click on Wi-Fi adapter > select Properties
  8. Select the Sharing tab > Check the box to "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" >  Click on OK button.
Continue with Part 2 below.

Part 2: Connect your iPad device

  1. Tap on the Settings icon in your iPad main menu
  2. Click on Wi-Fi
  3. Your ad hoc network "UplinkNetwork" should appear in the list.
  4. Click on you network.
  5. Enter the Password.

Good luck,
The Occipital Team

Schuyler Van Sickle

May 11, 2021, 9:27:38 PM5/11/21
to Skanect
Hello, can anyone point me to the wireless driver updates for windows 10? I am having a hard time getting the ad hoc network setup..

Much gratitude

Tobby Ryan

May 13, 2021, 2:17:59 PM5/13/21
to Skanect
pssst.  check your firewall to see if you are blocking the ipad from connecting.   aka disable it for testing.

Schuyler Van Sickle

May 13, 2021, 2:50:23 PM5/13/21
to Skanect
Thank you for this. I will check my firewall, however, my computer reads "Hosted network supported: No" when i check the Command Prompt for this feature...
1) I looked for driver updates but could not find them for Windows 10... possibly because i dont know what i am looking for..
2) I looked into upgraded hardware (computer) however, it seems that even newer Windows 10 Pro computers do not come with this hosted network feature enabled...
3) Purchased a USB Wifi adaptor and will be testing it to set up an Ad Hoc connection.

Ultimately, if anyone can point me to driver updates, or has ever used a WiFi adapoter to create an ad hoc connection, please advise!

Much gratitude,
Schuyler

Tobby Ryan

May 14, 2021, 3:49:21 PM5/14/21
to Skanect
you will definitely need a wireless adapter if in a desktop.

Schuyler Van Sickle

May 15, 2021, 12:05:58 PM5/15/21
to Skanect
Its a laptop. but it seems that i still need the proper adapter. I ended up having to get an Alfa as they support hosted networks.. the first one did not.

Schuyler Van Sickle

May 20, 2021, 8:41:29 PM5/20/21
to Skanect
Found a much better solution than Ad Hoc Connection! At first, after a lot of effort, i got the Alfa to support a hosted network, though was not able to do high-res scans because of the low bandwidth provided by a network adaptor.

 I ended up just plugging in an unused NetGear NightHawk router, without wifi, and tethered both my computer and my ipad to the router. Super easy, doesn't require much setup or configuration, I am able to quickly do high-res scans anywhere on the go, without wifi, just have to carry around a portable battery.

Highly recommend this solution over the Ad Hoc Connection.