Thin hollow shells not outside surfaces

Paul Cowsill

May 8, 2020, 6:04:39 AM5/8/20
to Skanect
I'm using a Kinect 360 to scan but I'm finding when I export it creates a thin walled solid / shell with surfaces on this inside pointing inward
This makes it hard to clean up any holes because it doesn't recognise them as holes
Also if you try to 3d print them they fail  or collapse because the shape isn't solid on the inside

engine.jpg

Neo

May 3, 2021, 7:32:28 PM5/3/21
to Skanect
have you tried opening in windows 3d builder, It has some magic in it that can clean up messy models

Tobby Ryan

May 4, 2021, 9:33:15 AM5/4/21
to Skanect
Remember, when scanning, what the camera does not see, it does not scan. If you are just exporting a scan to print, you are doing it wrong. You need to FILL the model first, then do cleanup.
I use Meshmixer to do the cleanup after filling the model in skanect.  after that, i reload the edit_me.ply for recoloring
in meshmixer there is also a hollow feature that you can use if needed. i tend to skip that and use the hollow feature in my slicing program for that.

Tobby