North Carolina sightings

1 view

mikek...@yahoo.com

Feb 16, 2024, 4:51:53 PMFeb 16
to SBC
Greetings, Skagway birders! Birding in southern Appalachia is alive and well, even in winter.

One favorite hiking trail is Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah National Forest. At the end of the trail is the brow of a monolithic granite dome a little less than 4000’ elevation. On January 22, I was looking west from the cliff and heard the “whoosh” sound of a raven diving past, followed seconds later by a loud ripping noise as a peregrine falcon streaked past to skirmish with the raven. I guess that’s what 200 miles per hour looks and sounds like. I couldn’t see the harassment from my vantage, but moments later both birds flew south along the cliff face, maybe 20 feet apart. Apparently they were just playing.
image0.jpeg

Furbish - Klensch

Feb 18, 2024, 12:08:57 PMFeb 18
to skagway-...@googlegroups.com

That's a great story!  And a beautiful mountain outcrop.  Please bring playing ravens and peregrines back with you when you return to Skagway ( wicked grin )

--

Sent from my iPhone

Mary Whitley

Feb 18, 2024, 2:30:14 PMFeb 18
to skagway-...@googlegroups.com
thanks for passing that along. a great story.
i, however, do not think they were playing.
rather testing each others flying abilities.
mary w

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
> --

dotjeff

Feb 18, 2024, 3:08:14 PMFeb 18
to skagway-...@googlegroups.com
I know that spot, hiked there with Mike one time. He’s a great guide! - Jeff