new bird names

Elaine

Mar 25, 2024, 1:50:24 PMMar 25
to Skagway Bird Club (also -> sites.google.com/site/skagwaybirdclub)
At the last meeting, we talked a bit about the effort to remove people's names in the AOS list of common names for birds, and replace it with something descriptive.  Here's a conversation that started in the meeting, then continued with me and Deb B.  We are posting here to see if others have ideas?

At meeting:  Steller's Jay could maybe be renamed the "Black-crested Jay" or the Black-crested Blue Jay"

Deb:  My thoughts for Steller's Jay new name:  Black and Blue Jay.  There's a Blue Jay (who also has a crest), a Gray Jay and Brown Jay.  So why not?  It's easier to write and remember.

Elaine: You have good ideas, we'll have to look out for announcements on if they are taking suggestions.  I had a thought of a name that I DON'T think would be a good choice, but it's kinda fun: replace man's name Steller with descriptive name stellar, meaning "outstanding"" or "superb" or "excellent" etc.

Deb:  I like your idea even better!

Elaine: Yeah, it would be fun, but very confusing for people, too.

Mary Whitley

Apr 2, 2024, 9:51:06 PMApr 2
to skagway-...@googlegroups.com
what fun! imagining new names for old well-known birds.
of course stellar was a big name in alaskan exploration. it's too bad
to bump him.
> --

Janice Wrentmore

Apr 6, 2024, 12:08:37 PMApr 6
to skagway-...@googlegroups.com
I just read the email chain and see Elaine already came up with Stellar! 😊

Apr 6, 2024, 12:15:41 PMApr 6
to skagway-...@googlegroups.com

I like "Sterling Jay"  -  same idea of exceptionally splendid, but different enough to maybe prevent the steller-stellar confusion that has always followed that bird around.