Spam Karma 2.4-alpha

Stephen Rider

Feb 17, 2009, 5:44:44 PM2/17/09
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
A few items:

1. Nice integration, but in terms of interface, I think it's better
to go with:

Run selected entries through [all Spam Karma plugins] (Apply)

rather than

(Run selected entries) through [all Spam Karma plugins]

() = button and [] = dropdown

2. If you're not, you might all want to pay attention to the "Auto
Update Plugins" thread on the wp-hackers list. Working on
standardizing a location for plugin-related data that (such as sub-
plugins). In the case of Spam Karma, I think the standard SK plugins
would go where they are right now, but it would also search the
"secondary" location for third-party plugins.

3. I think we should remove the RBL plugin from core SK, and add the
Akismet SK plugin

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/

Austin Matzko

Feb 17, 2009, 6:29:44 PM2/17/09
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Stephen Rider
<wp-ha...@striderweb.com> wrote:
> 1. Nice integration, but in terms of interface, I think it's better
> to go with:
>
> Run selected entries through [all Spam Karma plugins] (Apply)
>
> rather than
>
> (Run selected entries) through [all Spam Karma plugins]
>
> () = button and [] = dropdown

That does make more sense. I just copied the existing markup and
wasn't happy about it.

> 2. If you're not, you might all want to pay attention to the "Auto
> Update Plugins" thread on the wp-hackers list. Working on
> standardizing a location for plugin-related data that (such as sub-
> plugins). In the case of Spam Karma, I think the standard SK plugins
> would go where they are right now, but it would also search the
> "secondary" location for third-party plugins.

I don't see great harm to doing this, but I don't understand why it's
necessary. Why can't 3rd-party SK plugins just be regular WordPress
plugins? If a 3rd-party SK plugin is a WordPress plugin, it can be
installed using the WP plugin installer. If it's just a file to be
put in the proposed plugin data directory, then people have to fire up
their FTP client, adding unnecessary difficulty.

I think all we need to do is add an action hook at the point when we
load SK plugins, and 3rd-party plugins can attach a callback to that
to instantiate their classes.

> 3. I think we should remove the RBL plugin from core SK, and add the
> Akismet SK plugin

Is there another RBL site we could use to replace blbl.org, the one in
the RBL plugin?

I think adding SK plugins is great, so long as it's okay with their
authors and their licenses. Do we know how the Akismet one is
licensed?

Austin

Stephen Rider

Feb 17, 2009, 9:01:18 PM2/17/09
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 17, 2009, at 5:29 PM, Austin Matzko wrote:

>> 2. If you're not, you might all want to pay attention to the "Auto

>> Update Plugins" thread on the wp-hackers list.[...]

> I don't see great harm to doing this, but I don't understand why it's
> necessary. Why can't 3rd-party SK plugins just be regular WordPress
> plugins? If a 3rd-party SK plugin is a WordPress plugin, it can be
> installed using the WP plugin installer. If it's just a file to be
> put in the proposed plugin data directory, then people have to fire up
> their FTP client, adding unnecessary difficulty.

I suppose it can be an either/or approach as well. My FTP is drag-and-
drop, so FTPing a file is virtually nothing to me -- as opposed to
going through an annoying, slow web interface.

Spam Karma can go either way. Down the road I like the concept of
"sub plugins" within WordPress -- e.g. plugins that don't even load
unless the "master" plugin is activated, and that appear in a
hierarchy within the Manage Plugins page. ;-)

>> 3. I think we should remove the RBL plugin from core SK, and add the
>> Akismet SK plugin
>
> Is there another RBL site we could use to replace blbl.org, the one in
> the RBL plugin?

Don't know much about it. I just know it hasn't worked in years....

> I think adding SK plugins is great, so long as it's okay with their
> authors and their licenses. Do we know how the Akismet one is
> licensed?

The top of the file says:

> (c) 2006 Sebastian Herp and HEAVILY based on the original akismet
> plugin (Matt Mullenweg)

As I'm pretty sure the original Akismet is GPL2, I think this one is
too, by definition. :) Still, doesn't hurt to ask the original
author. I'll drop him a line.

Regards,

Xavier Borderie

Feb 23, 2009, 6:05:37 AM2/23/09
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
Another bug that might warrant inspection:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bad-behavior/other_notes/
"When using Bad Behavior in conjunction with Spam Karma 2, you may see
PHP warnings when Spam Karma 2 displays its internally generated
CAPTCHA. This is a design problem in Spam Karma 2. Contact the author
of Spam Karma 2 for a fix."

(can't create ticket in googlecode, no love for my account)