Introduction - Lets talk about how we can improve the development.

1 view

Weas Frikis

Jul 18, 2008, 4:31:13 PM7/18/08
to SK2 GPL Dev
Hello.

As of any who would like to help the development of Spam Karma now
GPL, I'd like to know about the people that is here too, so we can
organize better what to do starting now.

I Hope that Dave could give us something to start working.

Greetz to everyone

Stephen R

Jul 21, 2008, 10:50:06 AM7/21/08
to SK2 GPL Dev
I'm not a real pro coder, but I've released some pretty decent plugins
for WP. I've already submitted a patch to Dqve that did some "clean
up" to the interface. (He's pushing me to learn SVN so I can just
submit it myself -- I probably should anyway....)

Anyway, step one is to become comfortable with the way SK is set up,
and (I think ) to work on "spring cleaning". When discussing it on WP-
hackers, many people have responded to sing the prainses of the
plugin, but others, even some who _do_ use it, refer to the code as
"outdated". So I think the first step is to compare what Dave has
done to the current standard of WordPress plugins and look for things
that can be tightened up or modernized.

(This is not a criticism of the code. I haven't myself dug in to it
enough to have seen such deficiencies -- but coders I respect have
made such statements, and they bear examination.)

Xavier Borderie

Jul 21, 2008, 11:09:12 AM7/21/08
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
> Anyway, step one is to become comfortable with the way SK is set up,
> and (I think ) to work on "spring cleaning". When discussing it on WP-
> hackers, many people have responded to sing the prainses of the
> plugin, but others, even some who _do_ use it, refer to the code as
> "outdated". So I think the first step is to compare what Dave has
> done to the current standard of WordPress plugins and look for things
> that can be tightened up or modernized.

I'm hardly a WP coder myself, but I play one on TV :)
I manage the French community, and translate WP into French since day one.
If I had to dive into SK code, that would be my first foray into WP
plugins, but I'd be happy to help with my limited knowledge in both WP
pluginness and spam handling.

To me, urgency #1 is to update SK's style to the new WP admin - SK
looks broken since 2.5.
Updating it to make better use of WP hooks might also be in order.
Likewise, adapting to the new 2.6 do's and dont's :
http://codex.wordpress.org/Handling_POST_and_AJAX_Requests
Then I guess it's a question of having a look at each plugin and see
what can be improved.
Once the existing codebase is solidified, new plugins ideas could be
tested. Ideas welcome. Like Eric said on wp-hackers, "You may also
want to investigate http:BL at:
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/httpbl.php ". I myself would like to
change some bits of the Akismet plugin.

The best would be bring back SK to the point where it could stand on
its own, and not rely on other services/plugins to get the job done. I
love Akismet and use it as a plugin to my own install of SK, but I do
think that some would rather keep their comments to their own servers.

Let's through ideas in the air and see what sticks.

--
Xavier Borderie

Austin Matzko

Jul 21, 2008, 11:15:12 AM7/21/08
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Xavier Borderie <xav...@borderie.net> wrote:
> To me, urgency #1 is to update SK's style to the new WP admin - SK
> looks broken since 2.5.

I was thinking the same thing. So what is the best approach to avoid
duplicating each other's work? Could we divide up a couple of
sections, update them and submit the patches as tickets?

Xavier Borderie

Jul 21, 2008, 11:27:54 AM7/21/08
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
That's what a bug tracker and SVN are for :)

Anyone can enter a ticker in the bug tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/spam-karma/issues/list

As for submitting patch, I have yet to know if anyone can do it (à la
current WP Trac usage), and who can commit said patches. I'm guessing
commit rights belong solely to Dave and Strider for now (AFAICT from
the website).

-x.

2008/7/21 Austin Matzko <if.we...@gmail.com>:
--
Xavier Borderie

westi

Jul 21, 2008, 4:48:19 PM7/21/08
to SK2 GPL Dev
For what it's worth I have a fair grasp of the way in which SK2 works
from the work I did in developing my SK2 plugins both the digest one
which is included in the core and the moderate one I host on my site.

So if you have any questions about the architecture before you all
dive in shout them out and I'll answer them if dave doesn't beat me to
it!

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5

Dave

Jul 22, 2008, 12:36:14 AM7/22/08
to SK2 GPL Dev
Hey Peter!

Glad to see you around!
I was gonna ping you, but was hoping you'd see the msg and come this
way by yourself (been rather busy and barely keeping up with this).
If you send me a google account ID, I'll add it to the project. Maybe
you'd like to host your own plugins along with the main code in the
repository (dunno what your license is).

Everybody:

As I just told Peter, hit me with a Google ID and I (or one of the
people currently on board already) will add you to the project. No
pressure, but that way you'll be able to help out with clean-up or
tinker with the code, should the need arise.

At any rate, I think it might be a nice idea to create a separate
folder for extra SK2 modules in the SVN repo. Chasing around some of
the ones floating around (Westi's, Akismet-for-SK2 etc) and see if
their respective authors would be inclined to add them.

For those who posted some patches already: don't be shy about applying
them yourself (if they are really defect-fixing patches. for new
features I suppose it'd be better if you discuss that amongst
yourselves before altering the code). Creating branches might be a
good idea (one for fixes, one for ongoing dev). If you are a hobbyist
coder and have never used SVN, do not be scared: it's really easy and
transparent, especially if you use a GUI client. I'll let you google
around for FAQs and clients.

Cheers everybody and don't hesitate to ask if I can help with
anything,
--
Dave

On Jul 22, 5:48 am, westi <peter.westw...@ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
> For what it's worth I have a fair grasp of the way in which SK2 works
> from the work I did in developing my SK2 plugins both the digest one
> which is included in the core and the moderate one I host on my site.
>
> So if you have any questions about the architecture before you all
> dive in shout them out and I'll answer them if dave doesn't beat me to
> it!
>
> westi
> --
> Peter Westwoodhttp://blog.ftwr.co.uk|http://westi.wordpress.com

Austin Matzko

Jul 22, 2008, 4:18:06 AM7/22/08
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Dave <zedr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For those who posted some patches already: don't be shy about applying
> them yourself (if they are really defect-fixing patches. for new
> features I suppose it'd be better if you discuss that amongst
> yourselves before altering the code).

I just committed two changes that I think fall under that: adding
missing localization domains and replacing a deprecated WordPress
function.