TLD List

Stephen Rider

Jun 6, 2010, 4:38:40 PM6/6/10
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I downloaded the Mozilla public TLD list from http://publicsuffix.org/ with the intent of updating Dr Dave's parsing code (Issue #1 in the SK Google Code project).

Dave had a simple array[] with the TLDs in it, and Spam Karma goes through that. The problem is that Dave's list is 276 items long, which isn't too bad. The Mozilla list is over 3,000 lines long, and that includes some wildcards!

I'm no PHP expert, but am I correct in guessing that feeding PHP a 3,000+ element array to parse is going to cause issues? Perhaps we should be adding a MySQL table to the database and doing queries against that instead?

Or am I underestimating PHP?

Thoughts? Is this going to cause a problem or not?

Stephen

Peter Westwood

Jun 6, 2010, 4:45:56 PM6/6/10
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
Memory usage wise it is probably best for that data to be in a query able format in the db.

And for the original data that does in the db to be in a php file which is only included by the upgrade code which adds it to the db

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Westwood
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk | http://westi.wordpress.com

paulzag

Jun 20, 2011, 10:12:15 PM6/20/11
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
ICANN will allow generic TLD's so this check is now obsolete http://blog.icann.org/2011/06/internet-looks-to-singapore-and-icann-41-for-fate-of-new-gtlds/

Given this is also the first post in a year I'm guessing nothing is happening with this amazing plugin. A shame really because it still outperforms akismet on a couple of my heavily spammed old blogs despite not being updated for nearly 3 years. Akismet-only protected blogs of the same era are sad spam-filled wastelands.

I hope I don't have to hack this plugin alone.

Anybody still out there?

Austin Matzko

Jun 20, 2011, 10:48:16 PM6/20/11
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM, paulzag <pau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given this is also the first post in a year I'm guessing nothing is
> happening with this amazing plugin. A shame really because it still
> outperforms akismet on a couple of my heavily spammed old blogs despite not
> being updated for nearly 3 years. Akismet-only protected blogs of the same
> era are sad spam-filled wastelands.
>
> I hope I don't have to hack this plugin alone.
>
> Anybody still out there?

I agree that it's a shame and that it has worked well over the years.
However, it basically needs to be re-written from scratch to be
deployed now.

Matt Harris

Jun 20, 2011, 11:02:59 PM6/20/11
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
I have to agree - I use SK2 and it has caught 100% of the spam coming to my blog - without a false positive.

Matt Harris
matt_j...@yahoo.com
ICQ: 1656005
www.launchpadzero.net

drdave unknowngenius

Jun 20, 2011, 11:23:28 PM6/20/11
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
Hello Paul,

Actually, I still use SK2 on my own blogs and it does indeed mostly
work. I'd be ready to give a hand and might be able to make some
change faster, having written the thing in the first place (thoughI
haven't opened it in years and barely even remember what went were).

Many small fixes and suggestions have been made at the time, but I
don't think anybody has had the time to commit to a full update so far
(I very much understand how it is).

I don't really think SK2 needs a full-rewrite as it is... I haven't
seen any major compatibility issue with the latest version of WP so
far, despite all the breaking updates.

I suggest making a quick update with a limited scope that fixes all
urgent problems. Of course people should feel free to go on and make
deeper changes later on, but a small scope would guarantee that at
least this upgrade sees the light of day.

My top 3 changes would be:

1. Remove the phone-home/check-update call which used the old
wp-plugins.net website. The domain has been handed over to WP/Matt,
who removed all the former code and the URL is now 404. Dunno if it
would be possible to replace it by a URL on Google Code. Otherwise
just comment it.

2. Address the TLD issue. Although in practice I have never had
problems so far, it is indeed an issue.
I am not convinced that supporting the new ICANN "commercial brand"
tld is really a great idea, in that I can smell it becoming a strong
source of spam URLs in the future (and I can't see many reason a
non-SEO humans would have to sign with a .BRAND URL). However,
technically, they will be legal URLs and should supported.

This means replacing the last part of the regex by a blank star, which
means in turn the potential for a lot more false positives (since it
will essentially be matching any two words separated by a dot and no
spacing). I am in favour of making this an optional setting: 1. Legacy
mode *or* 2. Support generic TLD... and people can choose what fit
their blog type best.

3. It'd be nice to fix the nonce used in WP URLs, so that email links
for moderation can be clicked and work. Back when I added nonce
support, WP code was utterly broken and there was no way to make it
work. I am sure they fixed it by now and it shouldn't be too hard to
fix it on SK2 side.

Does anybody see any other small-scale change that should be added to the list?
I'll have a look at the code later today and get started on 1. and
2... If anybody feel up for a look at WP doc regarding nonce, I'd
certainly appreciate the help.

Cheers!

Stephen Rider

Jun 24, 2011, 8:44:53 PM6/24/11
to sk2-g...@googlegroups.com
Hi all --

I've been making minor commits all along, including fairly recently. Certainly more recent than a couple years. I don't consider the plugin dead.

Just FYI.

In terms of updates, the first thing I think we need to do is fix up the Comment Page/Dashboard integration that was begun and never quite finished in Trunk. The accordion effect that results from the open/close on rollover is terrible! Preferably it should just show the Karma score, and on *click*, open up the details.

Regards,
Stephen Rider