Surname Hadzega/Hadzegova

Ted Wood

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99
My wife's surname is Hadzegova, the feminine form of Hadzega. Her family
originated in the Novy Klenovec area of what is now the Ukraine. They
emmigrated to the Rimavska Sobota area of Slovakia after the Second World
War. Has anyone ever heard of this surname before? It seems to be very
uncommon. There is an idea floating around in her family that the name may
be of Turkish origin. Any ideas?

Ted Wood

Aug 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/22/99

sdere...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2013, 6:13:30 PM12/1/13
Dne neděle, 22. srpna 1999 9:00:00 UTC+2 Ted Wood napsal(a):
Dear Ted,

surname "Hadzega" is quite common in Subcarpathia, where Rusyns live (today´s zakarpatskaya oblast of Ukraine), many of my family members have this surname. It si told that it can be mongolian/avar/hunnic origin, beacause these groups originally settled many villages in this area. My relatives are black-haired and black eyed, with strong cheek bones:).

Bye, Rita.