MAJOR FOLK FESTIVALS IN SLOVAKIA 1998

Vladimir Linder

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

FOLK FESTIVALS 1998

FOURTH INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF
GHOSTS AND WITCHES
BOJNICE
April 30 -May 3
May 7-10

This is the fourth year of the internationally acclaimed festival of ghosts
with the gala celebration on the day of the ghosts April 30th. For further
information please call Mrs. Elza Dadmkova, director of the cultural center
in Bojnice at: 011-421-862-430 146.

ZAMAGURSKI FOLKLSRNE
SLAV-NOSTI
ZAMAGURIE FOLKLOFR FESTIVAL
June 19-21

Folk festival of under Tatras region in Cer-ven} Kla tor.
Information at: 011-421-92-732-141

TURCIANSKE SLAVNOSTI
FOLK-LSRU

TURIEC FOLKLORE FESTIVAL
June 12-14

This will be the 14th year of the Turiec cele-bration of folklore. Turiec
is a county in north-central part of Slovakia that covers large territory
around the town of Martin. For further information please call:
011-421-842-338 66.

MYJAVA '98
XXXVIII. FOLKLSRNE SLAVNOSTI
XXXVIII. FOLKLORE CELEBRATION
June 19-21

Myjava is in Western Slovakia on the South side of White Carpathian
moun-tains and about 4 miles from Moravian border. For further information
please call:
011-421-80-290 3389.

MEDZINARODN] FOLKLSRNY
FES-TIVAL STRAZNICE

INTERNATIONAL FOLK FESTIVAL STRAZNICE
June 26-28

The 53rd year of the Straznice festival. This also will be the third year
of the central European folk festival CIOFF.

FOLKLSRNY FESTIVAL V]CHODNA

FOLK FESTIVAL V]CHODNA
June 26-28

This will be its 42nd year of the festival. Only the best folk dance and
folk singing groups of Slovakia perform at this festi-val. The festival has
also international participa-tion of non-Slovak folk dance groups. For
further infor-mation please call:
011-421-849-229 80.

EUROFOLKLSR A
HOREHRONSKI DNI SPEVU A TANCA

EUROFOLKLOR AND UPPER HRON FESTIVAL OF SONGS AND DANCES
July 3-5

The 33rd Folk festival of Upper Hron days of songs and dances. The festival
is in three towns, Banska Bystrica, Brezno, and Helpa, all in Cen-tral
Slovakia.

ST. CYRIL AND METHODIUS DAY

Devin's Castle, July 6

FOLKLSRNE SLAVNOSTI
POD POLANOU, DETVA

FOLK FESTIVAL UNDER POLANA, DETVA
July 10-12

This will be the 33rd year of the festival. Main emphasis of the festival
is to show the folk-lore and folk traditions of this central Slova-kia
region, with guest per-formances of groups from around Slo-vakia. On Sunday
morning traditionally, there is a program called "Sun-day with our
countrymen." Matica Slovenska is the main sponsor of this pro-gram and
Slo-vak groups from around the world perform alongside with Slo-vak groups.
For further information please call:
011-421-855-355 581.

HORNACKE SLAVNOSTI
HORNACK'S CELEBRATIONS
VELKA NAD VELICKOU-MORAVIA
July 17-19

Velka nad Velickou is about 8 miles North of Myjava in Moravia in the Czech
republic. This is a festival of festivals and musicians play here almost
nonstop for three days.

XXXVI. YEAR OF INTERNATIONAL FOLKLORE FESTIVAL
JANO
MK DAYS 1997

XXXVI. ROCNMK MEDZINARODNIHO FOLKLSRNEHO FESTIVALU
JANO
MKOVE DNI 1997
TERCHOVA
July 31-August 2

I was there last summer and it was great. Will be back this year. Many
groups from the region are performing at this festival.

XXIII. PDROHACSKE FOLKLORE CELEBRATIONS

XXIII. PODROHACSKE FOLKLSRNE SLAVNOSTI ZUBEREC-BRESTOVA
August 7-9

Orava's folklore is the theme here. Location is close to the open-air
museum in Zuberec. This is a small but very nice festival.

KOLIESKO
KOKAVA NAD RIMAVICOU
August 7-9

This is a festival of young folklorists with a lot of innovative ideas.
Small, but great. The villagers open their house courtyards and people sing
and dance in them all night long after the official festival programs. This
is great.

HONTIANSKA PARADA
HONT'S PARADE
HRU
OV 98
August 21-23

This is a regional festival from the Hont re-gion. Information at:
011-421-845-910-122

VIII. DAYS OF CHRISTMAS CAROLS OF THE CHRISTIANS OF SLOVAKIA

GOD BLESS THIS COUNTRY

VIII. DNI KRESTANOV SLOVENSKA
DAJ BOH
TASTIA TEJTO ZEMI
December 11-13

VIII. Days of Christmas Carols of Chris-tians of Slovakia will be held on
December 11-13, 1998 in Chrenovec-Brusno, Prievidza, Boj-nice and in close
by towns and villages. For detailed information you may contact Mrs. Elza
Dadmkova at the Cultural Center in Bo-jnice: 011-421-862-430 146

Our information about the festivals is deemed to be correct, but is not
guar-anteed. Please phone before making your arrangements to participate.

Information Provided by:

The Slovak Heritage and Cultural Soci-ety
of
British Columbia

C/O 3804 Yale Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
V5C 1P6

Phone: (604) 291-8065
Fax: (604) 291-1966
Email: vli...@direct.ca

Writer, photographer and editor:

VLADIMIR LINDER
Contents Copyright ) 1997 by:
Vladimir Linder
and
The Slovak Heritage and Cultural
Soci-ety of British Columbia.
All rights reserved.
None of the material may be copied, re-pro-duced, republished or
redistributed by any means without prior written consent of the publisher.
Circulation: 2000
Advertising rates upon request.
Sample copy $5.00

Please visit our home pages at:

http://www.iarelative.com/slovakbc.htm

Vladimir Linder

Slovak Heritage and Cultural Society of British Columbia
3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, B.C., V5C 1P6, CANADA
Phone: (604) 291-8065, Fax: (604) 291-1966
email: vli...@direct.ca
Publisher of:Slovak Heritage Live quarterly Newsletter
Subscription and membership US$15.00 single, US$20.00 couple,
US$25.00 family, US$50.00 coroporate, US$ 100.00 Slovak Friend,
US$250.00 Slovak Heritage Circle
Please send your personal check to the above address.
Free sample issue is upon request.
This is one time offer good only in North America.
Previous recipients of free issue need not apply.

You may check out our home pages at:
http://www.iarelative.com/slovakbc.htm

POLOKA, DEAN

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

Vlad,

You missed a couple for us Rusyn folk. :))))

Do you know when the Medzilaborce, Snina and Svidnik festivals take place?

Those are the big 3 for Rusyns. (There are other smaller ones, but these
are the major ones. The Svidnik Festival is still classified and run by the
Rusyn-Ukrainians of Slovakia. Nothing like creating that hybrid nation.
But we know all about that!!!)

They even showed the Svidnik Festival on STV2 last year, I have seen a video
copy of it.

If you do not know off the top of your head, I can find out. It will take
some time because I'll need to write my buddies at the Rusinska Obroda in
Presov and Medz. to find out by snail mail.

So, if any SW members plan to go to E. Slovakia, and are interested in Rusyn
Folk Festivals, let me know and I'll forward the info to you ASAP.

Dean the Mad Rusyn

Vladimir Linder

Apr 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/15/98

I got them all. That is what I published in SHL.

california...@gmail.com

May 21, 2013, 7:28:22 AM5/21/13
Sneak Peek of Third Czech, Moravian and Slovak Folklore Festival in San Diego
What a beautiful evening with singers, dancers and musicians dressed in folklore costumes as they enjoy Czech, Moravian and Slovak traditional music, food, Burčák and many more.
Thanks so much to everyone who came down last night and made a night to remember!
http://californiaphotodreams.com/sneak-peek-of-third-czech-moravian-and-slovak-folklore-festival-in-san-diego/