Burritt Hotel New Britain CT.

Tom Coss

Nov 6, 2007, 11:05:36 PM11/6/07
Does anyone remember the great Burritt Hotel in Downtown New Britain,
Connecticut? Well I do. I remember it well. I was there! They had Polka
Dancing there 3 times a week! Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! Great
Bands and the place was packed with people! You had to get there EARLY
to get a table! Most of the time I would have to stand because all the
tables were taken and you could not even get a seat at the Bar! Its now
only a memory! The Hotel was sold and tuned into a senior citizen
rooming house! No more bands, No more Fun! Now those were the Good Old
Days for sure! Oh how I wish I could go back in time again! Dziekuje
Bardzo i Bog Zaplac! ~Tom Coss Meriden, Connecticut 06450 USA
http://www.tomcoss.net

loon...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2013, 10:07:18 AM6/8/13
Hi Tom:

My sister and I were just talking about the "hotel" in New Britain. We couldn't remember it's name. Googled it and came across your 2007 post. Our parents and our second cousin, who lived in NB, used to frequent the bar. I seem to recall that transients also lived there at one time. I know it was a "pick up" place for certain people as well. Our memory of this goes back to the late 70's and early 80's. Hope you get this. Deborah Berthold

Tom Coss

Jun 8, 2013, 11:44:48 PM6/8/13
Thank You For This Post Here In The Group On The Burritt Hotel of New
Britain, Connecticut! From, TOM COSS of Meriden, Connecticut

johnm...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2014, 1:39:00 AM1/13/14
On Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:44:48 PM UTC-7, Tom Coss wrote:
> Thank You For This Post Here In The Group On The Burritt Hotel of New
>
> Britain, Connecticut! From, TOM COSS of Meriden, Connecticut

My dad is writing an autobiography and I just read this:
My Dad used to play cards with his business peers at the New Britain Club in the Burritt Hotel in downtown New Britain. A lot of business got transacted in those card games. I always got my haircuts at the Burritt Hotel Barber Shop with barbers Walter and John, a tall guy with the fancy waxed moustache.

cjste...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2016, 10:36:34 AM1/10/16
I remember the Polka Dancing well! Not as a dancer, but as the desk clerk in the lobby. The Burritt was in sad decline when I last visited it in 1972. I worked at the Burritt in 1951-52 when things were really swinging! Best wishes, C. J.

erieb...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2016, 8:15:17 PM2/16/16
Where did the Burritt Hotel get it's name? My maiden name is Burritt. I remember as a girl traveling to Vermont for vacation with my family. As we passed New Britain, we used to see billboards for the Burritt Hotel. I wanted to stop there for lunch because it shared its name with my family!

roehn...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2016, 8:04:44 PM10/20/16
I believe the hotel was named after Elihu Burritt, a prominent Connecticut educator. A library at Central Connecticut State University is also named after him.

osvrh...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2017, 7:07:56 PM7/14/17
My great-grandfather Charles Frank Corbin, son of Philip Corbin, lived at the Burritt Hotel in the 30's and died there on March 20, 1937. I love hearing that the bar was a lively place because from what I hear Charles probably was a frequent and enthusiastic patron of it! I just heard that the New Britain Industrial Museum is moving there this summer, occupying a ground-floor space next to the entrance to the residence for the elderly that occupies the hotel space.