Symphylans

Steve and Linnea Bensel

Jun 18, 2021, 4:47:58 PM6/18/21
to San Juan County WA Farmers
Is anyone else experiencing unusually high symphylan pressure this year?  We’ve never had much of a problem with them in the past.  They have been here but in low numbers.  This year they are causing serious damage in places around the garden.  Admittedly, we have made a lot of management changes in the past two years—reduced tillage, tarps, and we have changed our cover crop strategy and plant mix.
It doesn’t appear there is much we can do to rid ourselves of them, except maybe till, which we don’t want to do.  Just hope nature takes over as the soil adjusts to no-till.

Steve

brook.brouwer

Jun 22, 2021, 9:48:55 AM6/22/21
to San Juan County WA Farmers
Steve,
Sorry to hear. I haven't gotten of any reports.
If you haven't seen it, I thought this was is a pretty good write up on symphylan lifecycle: https://pnwhandbooks.org/insect/ipm/garden-symphylan

Curious if you have been able to catch any? If any way to collect a sample I would be interested in taking a look as I haven't seen them before and curious what to keep an eye out for.

Thanks!
Brook

Steve and Linnea Bensel

Jun 22, 2021, 10:04:39 AM6/22/21
to brook.brouwer, San Juan County WA Farmers
Thanks a lot for this, Brook.
I’ll try to catch some—the little devils are very fast moving.

Steve

Charles Beadnall

Jun 22, 2021, 10:44:53 AM6/22/21
to Steve and Linnea Bensel, brook.brouwer, San Juan County WA Farmers
I haven't seen them here, but they were the one scourge horticulturalist John Jeavons was not able to eliminate organically. HIs strategy for management was rotation: as much as they migrate up and down in the soil, his observation was that they don't tend to move far horizontally so he had multiple plots and rotated among them since the pressure builds after a couple years.

-Charles

Steve and Linnea Bensel

Jun 22, 2021, 11:26:13 AM6/22/21
to Charles Beadnall, San Juan County WA Farmers, brook.brouwer
Good to know.  Thanks

Steve