Tuesday May 17 Imaging SIG -- Bill Tschumy

Hy Murveit - SJAA Imaging SIG Host

May 2, 2022, 6:03:00 AM5/2/22
to sjaa-ast...@googlegroups.com, Bill Tschumy
Our next Imaging SIG will take place over Zoom on May 17, 2022 at 7:30.

Bill Tschumy will discuss the Our Galaxy app.

You can sign up for the event at Meetup:
You get the Zoom link from there once you sign up.

We officially start the meeting at 7:30pm Pacific Time, but feel free to connect any time after 7pm. During the "early time" we'll make sure Bill and I can connect and share screens, etc, but after that hopefully quick setup, we'll have open Zoom socializing until the meeting starts.

The Our Galaxy App: Understanding the 3D Nature of Our Galaxy
Bill Tschumy

Amateur astronomers generally know where to find deep sky objects in the night sky, but few are aware of their physical locations within the Galaxy.  Our Galaxy is a cross-platform app that helps you understand the structural components of the Galaxy and visualize the locations and physical properties of deep sky objects in and around it. Bill will discuss the creation of Our Galaxy and use the app to illustrate what we know about galactic structure and show where some well known deep sky objects are located within and around it.

Bill Tschumy founded Otherwise Software in 1992 to develop innovative software.  Besides programming, Bill’s other interests are amateur astronomy and astronomy education.   In 2009 he got the chance to combine his programming skills with his love of astronomy and co-authored SkySafari, one of the most popular astronomy apps for mobile devices and Macintosh.  Bill has since left the SkySafari project and is now obsessed with understanding where the deep sky objects we observe are actually located in the Galaxy.  The Our Galaxy app is the latest result of his efforts.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Hy

Hy Murveit - Imaging SIG SJAA imagi...@sjaa.net

Hy Murveit - SJAA Imaging SIG Host

May 16, 2022, 9:34:41 PM5/16/22
to sjaa-ast...@googlegroups.com, Bill Tschumy
Reminder about tomorrow night's meeting.
See you then!
Hy