Tuesday April 19 Imaging SIG -- Nikola Nikolov, Astroimaging in near-infrared

Hy Murveit - SJAA Imaging SIG Host

Apr 3, 2022, 3:11:44 PM4/3/22
to sjaa-ast...@googlegroups.com
Our next Imaging SIG will take place over Zoom on April 19, 2022 at 7:30. It will be another in our series of talks on citizen science.

Nikola Nikolov will discuss imaging using scientific filters.

You can sign up for the event at Meetup:
You get the Zoom link from there once you sign up.

We officially start the meeting at 7:30 but feel free to connect any time after 7pm. During the "early time" we'll make sure Nikola and I can connect and share screens, etc, but after that hopefully quick setup, we'll have open Zoom socializing until the meeting starts.

Astroimaging and photometry in near-infrared spectrum with a backyard telescope rig
Nikola Nikolov

Most astrophotography rigs use filters within the visible light spectrum to create beautiful and colorful images of deep-sky objects. However, there is a different set of filters used by scientific telescopes for photometric measurements, knowns as SDSS u, g, r, I, z filters. They have been initially used by Sloan Digital Sky Survey and today they are also available for small backyard telescopes thanks to Astrodon and Las Cumbres Global Telescope Network. If you have a telescope with a CCD camera and SDSS filters, you can do scientific astronomy and photometric measurements from the backyard.

In this talk, I will show interesting results with SDSS near-infrared filters, which cut off most of the visible light and leave only photons with wavelengths > 800nm. Near-infrared astroimaging reveals interesting details of galaxy structures which are usually obscured in LRGB stacks, extremely distant galactic clusters, and sometimes hidden objects in our Milky Way.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Hy

Hy Murveit - Imaging SIG SJAA imagi...@sjaa.net

Hy Murveit - SJAA Imaging SIG Host

Apr 18, 2022, 3:17:26 PM4/18/22
to sjaa-ast...@googlegroups.com
Reminder--next meeting tomorrow, Tuesday April 19 at 7:30.
See you then!

Original email copied below:
Hy

Glenn Newell