Another SJAA event last night: Power In The Field

Glenn Newell

Jun 26, 2022, 6:28:47 PM6/26/22
to sjaa-ast...@googlegroups.com
In case you missed this, there was a SJAA speaker talk last night:

Topic: Power in the Field

Speaker: Curtis Macchioni

Abstract:

In this talk I will show how easy it is to measure the power required to operate all of our typical astronomy equipment from mounts and pcs to dew heaters, camera coolers and everything in between. I will also review the different types of lithium power sources which are becoming very popular among amateur astronomers from all-in-one solar generators to stand alone simple batteries. We will examine the differences between LiFePO4 and LiNiMnCoO2 chemistries and prismatic versus cylindrical battery cells. I will also share the results of nearly two years of testing a number of different lithium based solar generators and stand alone batteries to see how well they operate in the field, the different requirements for recharging each with solar panels and the pros and cons of each type.

Bio:

Curtis is a physicist who spent 40 years working on the development and commercialization of new technology in the defense, telecom and and data storage industries. He retired last October after 17 years at Western Digital and now enjoys more time to view the night sky. His purchased his first telescope, a Unitron 60mm refractor, with money save from his paper route.

Recording:

Clear Skies,
Glenn

Paolo Barettoni

Jul 1, 2022, 4:10:22 PM7/1/22
to SJAA AstroImaging
Thanks Glenn,

that was really interesting, because my AGM batteries are becoming "old and tired"....

Paolo