Six on Schools: How many thousands of school seats were lost...

Six on History

Sep 25, 2017, 2:06:04 PM9/25/17
to Six on History
...during the past decade, how did this contribute to overcrowding and how many went to charter school students? (note additional resources/images attached below).

Life after Teaching: the Honorable Bryan Anderson is running for Congress in CT's 3rd District

Bryan just retired from PS 47, a K-5 in the Parkchester area of the BX.  He was elected a few years ago as an Alderman (D) in Milford, CT (pop. 55k) ... lots of work but no pay, and is a rising political star in CT Democratic (Progressive wing!) politics.  He is a TAH Teacher/Historian, a mentor to young teachers and active in the school's UFT Chapter.  Congratulations on a career characterized by leadership, justice and love. Proud to call you a friend brother.
Subject: Alderman Bryan Anderson - Invitation to Campaign AnnouncementSeptember 26th

Hi Neighbors,

On Tuesday September 26, 2017, our friend, neighbor and Alderman, Bryan Anderson will be announcing his candidacy for Congress representing the 3rd District.  The event will be held on the steps of City Hall at 9:30am.  Refreshments will be served.

As you know Bryan has been a great Alderman.  How great it will be to have Bryan representing us and the entire 3rd District in Washington.

Hope to see you there!

"A Talk to Teachers" James Baldwin, 1963

"Now, if what I have tried to sketch has any validity, it becomes thoroughly clear, at least to me, that any Negro who is born in this country and undergoes the American educational system runs the risk of becoming schizophrenic.  On the one hand he is born in the shadow of the stars and stripes and he is assured it represents a nation which has never lost a war.  He pledges allegiance to that flag which guarantees “liberty and justice for all.”  He is part of a country in which anyone can become president, and so forth.  But on the other hand he is also assured by his country and his countrymen that he has never contributed anything to civilization – that his past is nothing more than a record of humiliations gladly endured.  He is assumed by the republic that he, his father, his mother, and his ancestors were happy, shiftless, watermelon-eating darkies who loved Mr. Charlie and Miss Ann, that the value he has as a black man is proven by one thing only – his devotion to white people.  If you think I am exaggerating, examine the myths which proliferate in this country about Negroes.

All this enters the child’s consciousness much sooner than we as adults would like to think it does.  As adults, we are easily fooled because we are so anxious to be fooled.  But children are very different.  Children, not yet aware that it is dangerous to look too deeply at anything, look at everything, look at each other, and draw their own conclusions.  They don’t have the vocabulary to express what they see, and we, their elders, know how to intimidate them very easily and very soon.  But a black child, looking at the world around him, though he cannot know quite what to make of it, is aware that there is a reason why his mother works so hard, why his father is always on edge.  He is aware that there is some reason why, if he sits down in the front of the bus, his father or mother slaps him and drags him to the back of the bus.  He is aware that there is some terrible weight on his parents’ shoulders which menaces him.  And it isn’t long – in fact it begins when he is in school – before he discovers the shape of his oppression."

 How many thousands of school seats were lost during the past decade, how did this contribute to overcrowding and how many went to charter school students?

‘Common Core’ no more: New York moves to adopt revised standards with new name [love the graphic, but "new name" seems to be the operative phrase here]

Dare-to-think-for.jpg
He-has-honor-if-he-holds.jpg
collegeready.jpg
alberteinstein1.jpg
The_Daily_Grind, Philip Jackson.pdf
Change in Total State and Local spending on Schools v. Prisons, 1 (2).jpg
an-education-system-2kbbhpo.jpg
Americans need to know all our history the good, the bad and the complex.jpg