Six on Immigration: U.S. moves to detain migrant children indefinitely; Pay or Die migrant; ‘Seriously’ Considering Ending Birthright Citizenship for Children of Illegal Immigrants; Meet the Lawyer Who Didn’t Want to Promise a Toothbrush to Migrant C

panaritisp

Aug 21, 2019, 10:46:10 PM8/21/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Immigration: U.S. moves to detain migrant children indefinitely; Pay or Die migrant; ‘Seriously’ Considering Ending Birthright Citizenship for Children of Illegal Immigrants; Meet the Lawyer Who Didn’t Want to Promise a Toothbrush to Migrant Children; Why It’s Immigrants Who Pack Your Meat; As Immigrants Become More Aware of Their Rights, ICE Steps Up Ruses and Surveillance;

U.S. moves to detain migrant children indefinitely

Pay or Die migrant

"AS A TEENAGER IN ARGENTINA, I HAD TO PAY BRIBES to get a train ticket or the gas turned on in our home. Lots of places, the United States included, have corruption. Still, Honduras makes the swamp in Washington look like a piddling puddle.

If the United States wants to slow migration from Central America, that’s the swamp we must help drain. Instead, the Trump administration failed to protest when Guatemala kicked out the head of a United-Nations-sponsored anti-corruption mission last year and ordered it closed altogether this September. Its Honduran counterpart, the Mission in Support of the Fight Against Corruption and Impunity in Honduras, could get booted from the country when its mandate from the Organization of American States ends in January.

The administration has slashed foreign aid to Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras to punish the countries for failing to do enough to stop the migrants. The Association for a More Just Society, the Honduran arm of Transparency International, which relies heavily on American support to fight corruption, has been told that the money will be spent only on drug enforcement and blocking migration. Barring any new resources, by January the group will have to cut its staff of 140 to 40.

This is especially frustrating because the fight against corruption in Honduras really revved up only four years ago, in response to enormous street protests by fed-up citizens called “indignados.” The investigations and revelations by anti-corruption groups that followed have actually driven up despair, by highlighting both how big the problem is and how few of the bad guys end up in jail."

Trump Claims He Is ‘Seriously’ Considering Ending Birthright Citizenship for Children of Illegal Immigrants

"Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump argued that it is frankly ridiculous that the U.S. affords citizenship to babies born to illegal immigrants who have just entered the country.

“We’re looking at that very seriously, birthright citizenship, where you have a baby on our land, you walk over the border, have a baby — congratulations, the baby is now a U.S. citizen,” he said.

The Wednesday comments represent the second instance in which Trump has publicly criticized birthright citizenship, particularly as it relates to recent illegal immigrants. Trump told Axios last year that he planned to issue an executive order curtailing birthright citizenship, but never followed through.

We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States … with all of those benefits, Trump continued. It’s ridiculous. It’s ridiculous. And it has to end, Trump told Axios in October 2018.

Any attempt to restrict birthright citizenship through an executive order would likely face stiff legal challenges and may ultimately require a Constitutional amendment — a point Trump disputed during the 2018 Axios interview."

Meet the Lawyer Who Didn’t Want to Promise a Toothbrush to Migrant Children

"Ms. Fabian appeared before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in San Francisco, in a case about how the federal government is legally obligated to treat migrant children who are in custody. At the hearing, Ms. Fabian tried to parse the meaning of “safe and sanitary” conditions, the standard established by a settlement agreement that determines the government’s handling of migrant children who are being held in detention.

“It’s within everybody’s common understanding that if you don’t have a toothbrush, if you don’t have soap, if you don’t have a blanket, that’s not ‘safe and sanitary,’” said Judge A. Wallace Tashima of the Ninth Circuit, a former Marine who was imprisoned as a child in a Japanese-American internment camp in Arizona during World War II. “Wouldn’t everybody agree to that? Do you agree with that?”

“Well, I think it’s — I think those are — there’s fair reason to find that those things may be part of ‘safe and sanitary,’” Ms. Fabian replied.

“Not ‘may be,’” Judge Tashima said. “‘Are’ a part. Why do you say, ‘may be’? You mean there’s circumstances when a person doesn’t need to have a toothbrush, toothpaste and soap for days?”

“Well, I think, in C.B.P. custody, it’s frequently intended to be much shorter term,” Ms. Fabian replied, referring to the Customs and Border Protection agency. “So it may be that for a shorter-term stay in C.B.P. custody that some of those things may not be required.”

Why It’s Immigrants Who Pack Your Meat

What Trump has called an “invasion” was actually a corporate recruitment drive.

Why It’s Immigrants Who Pack Your Meat

As Immigrants Become More Aware of Their Rights, ICE Steps Up Ruses and Surveillance

"ICE’s use of ruses — an old tactic in which agents use false pretenses to make arrests, such as posing as local law enforcement or a representative of a company — has been more noticeable in the aftermath of President Donald Trump’s repeated threats this summer to round up immigrants in 10 major U.S. cities. While the mass arrests have yet to materialize, ICE’s enforcement operations have continued, and immigrant communities are on alert. Reports of ICE sightings and arrests have been pouring into immigration advocacy groups.
“We know that, we have seen ICE lie about who it is when it knocks on the door, and we have seen ICE dress up as law enforcement or dress down as normal people.”

“ICE’s mission is to apprehend people that it believes shouldn’t be in our communities and it will go to great lengths to do that, particularly in the face of increased knowledge of rights, and willing to bend what we would accept as moral standards of transparency and respect to meet those ends,” said Laura Williamson, an organizer with Sanctuary DMV, a volunteer group in the Washington, D.C., area that runs a rapid response network for ICE raids and an accompaniment program for immigrants attending court hearings or immigration appointments. “We know that, we have seen ICE lie about who it is when it knocks on the door, and we have seen ICE dress up as law enforcement or dress down as normal people.”

Williamson added that the number of so-called collateral arrests — where others present are arrested alongside targeted individuals — has also ramped up. ICE arrested 18 people out of a target list of around 2,000 families earlier this month, along with 17 others who were not targets of the operation. At the same time, a heightened awareness among immigrants of their rights has foiled some of the agency’s arrest attempts."

Locals and Central American migrants use a makeshift raft across the Suchiate river from Tecun Uman in Guatemala, to Ciudad Hidalgo in Chiapas State, Mexico.jpg
Pediatricians speak to reporters on Tuesday about their experiences treating migrant children in a network of shelters run by Annunciation House in El Paso.jpg
Migrant detention map.jpg
John Kelly migrant children.jpg
A construction crew works on a five-bedroom house for a migrant living in the United States..jpg
tear-gas A migrant family, part of a caravan of thousands traveling from Central America en route to the United States, run away from tear gas..jpg
Kissing babies Trump immigration.jpg
the-postmodern-prometheus-1-8dc immigration.jpeg
Trump immigration.jpg
Jim Morin immigration.jpg
Sweet revenge immigration.jpg
A man and his son walk across the Suchiate River bridge as Central American migrants cross the border between Guatemala and Mexico, near Ciudad Hidalgo in Mexico's Chiapas state on Thursday..jpg
immigration Opposite views.jpg
Cover We'll take them immigration.jpg
Pro-immigration demonstrators rally in Detroit, Michigan.jpg
immigration.jpg
Victorina Morales at her home in Bound Brook, N.J. She left Guatemala in 1999 and illegally entered the United States. She started working at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., in 2013..jpg
Guatemala's former president Otto Perez Molina arrives for a court hearing to face charges of conspiracy, customs fraud and bribery, at the Supreme Court building in Guatemala City, Guatemala,.jpg
Genocidal Guatemalan dictator Efraín Ríos Montt with supporter Ronald Reagan, who called him “a man of great personal integrity and commitment.”.jpg
Yu Mei Chen (center), the wife of Xiu Mei Chen, joined dozens who rallied in Foley Square to call for the release of Xiu Qing You, a father of two and husband of a U.S. citizen, who is being detained by ICE.jpg
american-history-protecting-migrant-children-border-2.jpg
Sarah Fabian, a Justice Department lawyer, was questioned by federal judges about the Trump administration not providing soap or toothbrushes for migrant children.jpeg
A boat arrives in Key West, Florida with more Cuban refugees, April 1980, from Mariel Harbor after crossing the Florida Straits. migrant.jpg