Six on Earth Day: This Earth Day, consider the paradoxical and powerful creature called homo sapiens; Bill McKibben: This Earth Day, Stop the Money Pipeline; Climate Change Lesson Plans & Resources; The Hearings That Launched the First Earth Day; Nat

panaritisp

Apr 22, 2020, 12:23:32 PM4/22/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

Six on Earth Day: This Earth Day, consider the paradoxical and powerful creature called homo sapiens; Bill McKibben: This Earth Day, Stop the Money Pipeline; Climate Change Lesson Plans & Resources; The Hearings That Launched the First Earth Day; Nat Geo is encouraging families to discover the planet through its amazing animals; Earth Day: Climate Change Awareness Grows; Video: “Earth Day 1970 – 2020: 50th Anniversary”

the paradoxical and powerful creature called homo sapiens

"When it comes to what makes humans distinct, we seem to have drawn lines in the sand that we then have to step back from and draw more lines — for example, the distinction that humans were tool users. Then we observed other creatures using tools.

Because our evolution is that we are part of the animal world. We are an animal. We are classified as an animal, and we're descended from apes and from everything else on that evolutionary trajectory that comes before the apes.

And so we're very biological, but with this shift in our behavior and our thought processes of what we sometimes refer to as behavioral modernity or the cognitive revolution — with that, we evolve new minds and new ways of thinking and new ways of interacting with each other. And in doing so, we set in motion a process which extracts ourselves from nature.

We create gods and we assemble human exceptionalism and we say that we’re specially created. And then Copernicus comes along and says, the Earth is not the center of the universe, and the sun is not the center of the universe comes not long after that.

And Darwin my intellectual hero comes along and says, well, actually we're just another animal. This isn't to be to be misanthropic. I think we're amazing. I mean, I'm a sort of humanist with a small “h.” But at the same time, we're so anthropocentric that we think of ourselves as special when we're not, and miss things that are special about us that we should be really focused on."

This Earth Day, Stop the Money Pipeline

We’re cooked unless investors stop funding fossil fuel companies.

"Nineteen-seventy was a simpler time. (February was a simpler time too, but for a moment let’s think outside the pandemic bubble.)

Simpler because our environmental troubles could be easily seen. The air above our cities was filthy, and the water in our lakes and streams was gross. There was nothing subtle about it. In New York City, the environmental lawyer Albert Butzel described a permanently yellow horizon: “I not only saw the pollution, I wiped it off my windowsills.” Or consider the testimony of a city medical examiner: “The person who spent his life in the Adirondacks has nice pink lungs. The city dweller’s are black as coal.” You’ve likely heard of Cleveland’s Cuyahoga River catching fire, but here’s how New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller described the Hudson south of Albany: “one great septic tank that has been rendered nearly useless for water supply, for swimming, or to support the rich fish life that once abounded there.” Everything that people say about the air and water in China and India right now was said of America’s cities then."

https://www.thenation.com/article/environment/earth-day-live-mckibben/
Looking for a Ladies’ Room With Margaret Mead: The Hearings That Launched the First Earth Day

Looking for a Ladies’ Room With Margaret Mead: The Hearings That Launched the First Earth Day

Earth Day turns 50 on April 22. Nat Geo is encouraging families to discover the planet through its amazing animals.

Want to see animal art in the wild? Check out how other families are celebrating Earth Day and the Nat Geo Neighborhood Safari. #NatGeoEarthDayatHome

Inline image

09-trees-earth-day.adapt.1190.1.jpgSacred Tree Shrine, Neem, Sardar Sweet Shop, Bhojubeer District, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, India.jpg
DOC-ARAL.doc
The NGO estimated the burning of plastic packaging put on to the market by the companies creates 4.6m tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent.jpg
Seagulls flock to plastic waste and other trash near the mouth of the Los Angeles River in 2015..jfif
We Depend on Plastic. Now We’re Drowning in It..html
boy from Senegal walking along a polluted beach strewn with predominantly plastic bottles in the village of Ngor, Dakar, Senegal..jpg
Afghans in the Vefa neighborhood of Istanbul, Turkey, make a living searching for plastic, metal, cardboard or other materials that they can sell..jpg
plastic-waste-single-use-worldwide-consumption-7.adapt.1900.1.jpg
Climate Change GIF Shows NYC Drowning As Ice Sheets Melt..jpg
Greta Thunberg Climate Change.jpg
Which cities will be most affected by Climate change.jpg
08-trees-earth-day.adapt.1190.1.jpgBunut Bolong, Banyan, Asahduren Village, Bali, Indonesia.jpg
Climate Change coronavirus capitalism.jpg
Oil corps climate change.jpg
UN-Warning-Climate Change Trumpf.jpg
Climate change, our biggest threat, can't be stopped at the border.jpg
climate change.jpg
climate-change-we-can-believe-in-cartoon-1024x763.jpg
climate-change-forecast-cartoon-600x423.jpg
Climate change is worsening existing problems in China, like the effects of air pollution linked to car emissions.jpg
A court gave the status of living entities to the Ganges and Yamuna rivers to save them from further harm caused by widespread pollution..jpg
The Developing World is Awash in Pesticides. Does It Have to Be_ - 2.html
Global Warming Timeline.html
BBC News - India's dying mother.html 2.html
Eco Greece.docx
MLKing World House wQuiz.DOC