panaritisp

Mar 25, 2021, 10:09:26 AM3/25/21
to Six on History

Welcome back to Six on History.

PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

Go to the Six on History Archive to search past posts/articles click "labels" on the left when there and the topics will collapse.

Thanks

   Phil Panaritis

Six on History: Women's History is Every Month

1) Rosie the Riveter Gets Her Due 75 Years After the End of World War II

"Take, for instance, the iconic poster of a woman wearing a red-and-white polka dot bandanna, flexing her biceps. With bold determination, she confronts the viewer from beneath the words “We Can Do It!” Created by Pittsburgh artist J. Howard Miller, the poster hung at Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company factories for just two weeks as a motivational tool for women workers. As well-known as the poster is today, few people would have seen it at the time. The propaganda poster didn’t recruit workers as one might think; it promoted the management’s message to existing workers to work hard and not slack off. The Rockwell magazine cover would have had greater exposure to people during the 1940s and beyond."

2) Women’s History Month: Rosemarie Sinclair

3) NCAA weight room discrepancy shows 'they don't think these women are worth it,' says Jemele Hill

4) A Letter to My Fellow Asian Women Whose Hearts Are Still Breaking

Still and always, hypersexualized, ignored, gaslit, marginalized, and disrespected as we’ve been, I am so fortified, so alive, when I’m with us.

"In the past, I have written a lot of essays and political op-eds about racism and sexism, rivers of words arguing for and explaining varieties of the ongoing, abiding fight to get free. This is not what I’m writing today. On Tuesday, three days ago, a white gunman allegedly shot and killed eight people at three Asian massage parlors in the Atlanta area, including six Asian women, in a racist, sexist attack on massage parlor workers, and today I am not spending any more of my limited time alive defending the humanity of marginalized people, arguing once again with those who don’t already see it that we are all fully realized people deserving of human rights. This long, hard week, I have felt especially pulled toward the company of fellow Asian women, so that is who I will write to here.

To Asian women, not for—there’s no speaking for us, splendidly vast and manifold as our people are. And my experience of this world, and of America, is that of being a Korean American woman born in Seoul, so let me be specific about the body I inhabit: I moved to the U.S. with my family when I was three years old. I write and teach for a living; I’ve worked in the service industry, at a restaurant, but not since college. It is by no means a given that my life has a lot of overlap with the six Asian women killed while working at massage parlors, even the four women of Korean descent, except that much of America has trouble telling any of us apart.

It is a standing, pain-riddled joke with close Asian women friends that if we haven’t yet been mistaken for each other, we’re not really friends, and my friends laugh, and I laugh, and still they keep mixing us up. To date, I have been mistaken for Asian women who are almost a foot taller than I am, with women 15 years younger or older, biracial people, women who descend from every East Asian and Southeast Asian nation, plus Sri Lanka, as well as India, all of us thrown together by the willful, lazy illogic of racism.

But I love being in this company—I love it here, with my sisters. I always have, and there’s not anywhere else I’d want to be. With femme-presenting siblings too, though here I hesitate, as I know at least some nonbinary friends prefer not to be categorized with women. It is also true, as many have pointed out, that when it comes to gender-based violence from male strangers, femme-presenting people who aren’t women are of course vulnerable, so I’ll write this to you if you want to be here, and not if you don’t. And while our siblings of color live with and are killed by white supremacy too, and while our sisters of color and our white sisters live with and are killed by misogyny too, today I have to write to us first, with the Asian women who have been crying all week, who are grief-stricken, furious, afraid, and heartsick, our bodies rioting beneath the heft and bulk of a racist, misogynist tragedy while we mourn.  ... "

6) Official Anniversary Commemoration of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

Join us!
***
Official Virtual Commemoration of the 110th Anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire
Tomorrow, March 25, 6:00 to 7:00pm (EDT)

Here's the Zoom Link

This year we gather online to remember and honor the victims and legacy of the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire. You can still register for the Official Commemoration, March 25th, 6:00-7:00pm.

~
Tomorrow's program will include music, poetry, video presentations and end with a series of commemoration photos from around the world honoring the 146 workers who perished. Interpretation in American Sign Language, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin) & Italian is available.

WE SHALL NEVER FORGET

Upcoming Events

Thursday, March 25, 6:00pm-7:00pm

to the victims and legacy of the 1911 Triangle Fire
Register here to participate in our online remembrance

Thursday, March 25
It's time to Chalk for the Triangle Workers! Each year Chalk volunteers inscribe the names and ages of the Triangle workers in front of their former homes. If you're interested in participating, send a note to Chalk founder Ruth Sergel - all are welcome! More info here.

Thursday, March 25, 11:00am
Join New Jersey City University Arts Center for a special commemorative event: How the Triangle Fire is Remembered by a New Generation 110 Years later. All are welcome, more information here

Thursday, March 25, 6:30pm
The Triangle Fire Memorial Association, Inc. will hold its Triangle Fire Anniversary Memorial Ceremony both online as a Zoom event and at the Christ The King HS CNL Paolucci Center at 68-02 Metropolitan Avenue, Middle Village, Queens, NYC. More info here.

Thursday, March 25, 7:00pm-9:00pm
The Legacy of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire (Webinar), co-sponsored by the Remember the Triangle Fire Coalition, is free and open for registration. Dr. Elissa Sampson of Cornell University will deliver the Margolis Family lecture via Zoom on the tragedy and how commemoration in a new age of global sweatshops represents a compelling broadening of the collective memory of the descendants of Jewish and Italian immigrants and the labor movement. More information here.

Thursday, March 25, 7:00pm-8:00m
NYC's Lower East Side Tenement Museum invites everyone to a special virtual tour-- Piecing it Together: Tenements, Factories and Unions. On the 110th anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, the event explores the tragedy's lasting impact, and the women who worked in New York's garment industry and how they effected change. More information and the event link are here

We Shall Never Forget

 photo courtesy Ernesto L. Martinez

As we near the commemoration of the 110th anniversary of the Triangle Factory Fire, we are reaching out to you. Help ensure that the construction of the long awaited Triangle Fire memorial begins soon. Join us by remembering the tragic lives lost and the legacy of reform their deaths inspired with a contribution now. Your loyalty and support is vital to us.

Please donate through PayPal or by check to
Remember the Triangle Fire Coalition
P.O. Box 1822 New York, NY 10113

Visit our website

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Circa 1946 in Greece, girls peer through the window of a schoolhouse where a medical clinic has been set up. In 2015, a small child refugee stands with adults at a wire fence in Gevgelija,.jpeg
Aymara indigenous women Bertha Vedia, 48, Domitila Alana, 42, and Dora Magueno, 50, pose for photographs on the Huayna Potosi mountain.jpg
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's wife was wrong when she claimed that the Ottoman-era harems provided women with an education..........jpg
Girls in cooking class.jpg
“800 women strikers for peace on 47 St near the UN Bldg,” 1962..jpg
Teenage girls hold hands during an activity at a UNICEF-supported children’s shelter in Guatemala, the country with the world’s highest female homicide rate.jpg
dresden-women_3197503k Women helping to clear the ruins at Theaterplatz square in 1946.jpg
Women’s Leadership in the American Revolution _ The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History.html
vintage-women-beauty-1900-1910-61__605.jpgYoung Algerian Girls.jpg
An ultra-Orthodox Jewish bride enters the men's section of the wedding to fulfill the Mitzvah tantz, in which family members and honored rabbis are invited to dance in front of the bride.jpg
vergara-5 Girls with Barbies, East Harlem 1970.....jpg
Muslim girls read the Quran, Islam's holy book, at a mosque in Kandahar, Afghanistan, Wednesday.jpg
1. 32 girls go on strike at strike at Ten Eyck ropewalk - 1886.pdf
mom Women who stay at home with their children often are criticized for not working outside the home..jpg
Girls HS Brroklyn 1901.jpg
Ethiopian women chat after receiving aid distributed under a (EU) funded project, in the Shinile Zone of Ethiopia on Friday near the border with Somalia.jpg
Castro greets a nun from a girls’ school in a small town before his Havana arrival on 5 January, 1959. By Burt Glinn..jpg
Gungoo Mehter who was tried at Kanpur for killing many of the Sati Chaura survivors, including many women and children. He was convicted and hanged at Kanpur on 8 September 1859.jpg
Girls attend prayers marking the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha in Abuja, Nigeria on November 6, 2011..jpg
Anne Hutchinson - Death by Massacre. reading.docx
Parents of the Chibok girls attend a meeting with Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential villa in Abuja, Nigeria,.jpg
Two Girls in Matching Bathing Suits, Coney Island, New York, 1967, Diane Arbus..jpg
Rural Indian Girls Chase Big-City Dreams - he girls waited excitedly for their turn at an A.T.M. on payday.html
Mount, the blackberry girls, 1840....jpg