Six on Schools: Parents Learn to Respect Teachers Now That Children Are Home; Online Teaching Can Be Culturally Responsive; teachers search for positive ways to connect with isolated students; Reality - and dilemma - of NYC’s remote learning sets in;

panaritisp

Apr 1, 2020, 1:08:22 AM4/1/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

Six on Schools: Parents Learn to Respect Teachers Now That Children Are Home; Online Teaching Can Be Culturally Responsive; teachers search for positive ways to connect with isolated students; Reality - and dilemma - of NYC’s remote learning sets in; A model Google contract that has strong student privacy protections

Parents Learn to Respect Teachers Now That Children Are Home

"Plenty of parents around the country — and, presumably, around the world — are finding new appreciation for their children’s teachers as they sit at home with their kids during the coronavirus pandemic and take over the role of educator.
Some 1.5 billion students around the world have been affected by school closures during the crisis, and parents whose jobs are not deemed “essential” to keep the country functioning are at home taking over as impromptu teachers"

Online Teaching Can Be Culturally Responsive

Amid school closures, online classes can offer new opportunities for culturally responsive teaching. Here’s what one educator is trying with her fifth grade students.

Seniors understand why, but fear they're missing milestones

"Spring musicals have been canceled or postponed, and some senior award dinners placed on hold. There are questions about the prom, and some wonder whether graduation ceremonies will be held at all.

The coronavirus is impacting the Class of 2020, a group of high school seniors who have been looking forward to these milestones. They say they understand why school is closed, but can't help feeling sad for what could have been.

Garden City High School senior Delaney McKenna, 17, is co-captain of the cheerleading squad and won a coach's award for her role. The celebratory dinner for the squad's winning record this year has been postponed. More than anything, she would like to finish out her final year at school.

"I want to spend my senior year with my friends and teachers who helped me get to where I am," she said. "It's disappointing, but important that everyone stays healthy."

NYC Public School Parents

A model Google contract that has strong student privacy protections

Slightly modified from Parent Coalition for Student Privacy blog.

We have received many questions from parents and teachers over the last few weeks concerned about the privacy practices and policies of the various ed tech tools and programs being adopted hurriedly by schools and districts in the wake of the coronavirus crisis. One of the most widely used programs, even before many schools were shut down, was Google classroom or G-suite.

We just received a copy of the model G-suite contract that upstate NY administrators negotiated this fall with Google that complies with NY State's student privacy law, Education § 2-d. Because of the relative strength of this law, New York state received a B-, the second highest grade of any state in our state privacy report card, .

Parents in NYC and elsewhere in the state should ask their districts for a copy of their contract with Google Suite to see if it includes the same or similar privacy-protective provisions. If not, ask why, and whether their district can't simply opt into this one.

If your NY district refuses to make available the contract upon request, you should remind them that they are required to post all contracts online that allow for the disclosure of student data, according the regulations promulgated by NY State Education Department in January.

BOCES model contract with Google – G Suite 19-20

BOCES district Opt-In – Erie1 9.3.19

ought to be taught.png
fraternities of the indifferent.png
But-whats-wrong-with-1z3rkic.jpg
Ive-learned-that-great-1n5jh1q.jpg
pearson.jpg
Pearson-sold-the-Los-24f6ioz.jpg
peel.png
Our brains pay more attention to information that reinforces our preexisting opinions..jpg
our kids 1.jpg
me either.png
Developing-a-2f862ra.jpg
ECU_Obama-Sotu_Quote.jpg