Six on Schools: Why Denver Teachers Went on Strike; School Reform in the U.S.: Naivete and Fatalism; Teachers union seeks arb

panaritisp

Feb 14, 2019, 1:43:16 PM2/14/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Schools: Why Denver Teachers Went on Strike; School Reform in the U.S.: Naivete and Fatalism; Teachers union seeks arbitration orders to reduce chronically oversize classes; These 50 New York City schools will boost teacher pay and get other perks under new Bronx Plan; Atlanta School Cheating Scandal: The Untold Story of Corporate Greed & Criminalization of Teachers; state test score inflation, past and present

Why Denver Teachers Went on Strike

School Reform in the U.S.: Naivete and Fatalism | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

"If naivete is a danger, so is fatalism.”*

The history of school reform has been a back-and-forth journey between hyperactive innocence and passive resignation. I will explain this and give examples shortly but I want to ask one question and then make one fact clear before I do.

Why has school reform occurred again and again? One would think that reformers who have defined the educational and social problems to be solved, planned solutions to those problems, and adopted remedies would be satisfied and walked away confident that the problems would disappear. Not so. Turns out that the social and educational problems reformers, generation after generation, aim to solve hang around after well-intentioned problem-solvers exit. Then another generation of wannabe reformers enter stage right or stage left, do their thing and float off the stage (see herehere, and here).

The fact is that for tax-supported public schools in the U.S. there has been a perennial school “crisis” since the late-19th century (see herehere, and here). Naive reformers have attacked (and continue to) with gusto and money again and again, “crises”, leaving disappointed practitioners, parents, and researchers slinking away, resigned to failure in the wake of perverse changes they had not anticipated. The above quote says it well.

 Teachers union seeks arbitration orders to reduce chronically oversize classes

"Teachers have reported class sizes of up to 38 students in Leon M. Goldstein HS for the Sciences, Benjamin N. Cardozo HS, Francis Lewis HS, the Academy of American Studies and the Secondary School for Journalism. All these schools have reported major overcrowding in classes for at least four of the last six years.

UFT President Michael Mulgrew said, "Parents and teachers agree that class size is a critical issue for students' learning, and the limits in the UFT contract are the only official restraints on class sizes in the city's public schools.  But the schools on this list have a history of ignoring these limits, and under our new contract we can now begin a faster process of getting all class size complaints resolved."

Under old contract rules covering oversize classes, the arbitration process could be lengthy and often resulted in DOE “action plans” that had little or no effect. In addition, some schools were permitted to apply for repeated exemptions from the class size requirements, which range from 18 students in pre-K to 34 in high school academic subjects.

Under the new DOE-UFT contract, schools that have been deemed to have chronically oversized classrooms can be brought immediately to arbitration and the arbitrator’s decision must be implemented by the DOE within five days. Arbitration awards can be enforced by the courts."

state test score inflation, past and present

You and Sue have been on the case a long time.  Your analyses of NYS/NYC skewed results and spin over the years--using the NAEP as a true barometer of non-progress have offered us continuous proof of the sham we have had to endure.  When does institutional lying become an act of malfeasance?

All of it is of the same piece with a lack of transparency at the core..  To the assiduous work you have done to uncover and chronicle the fraud, let me add a few tricks behind the good news stories manufactured shamelessly via political press officers (now known as information officers, to hide their intention to manipulate the media).

I helped Erin Einhorn design and implement her experiment in 2007 leading to her expose--which became the Daily News front-page headline "Math Test Shock" on the first day of school that year. She showed that the so-called equating of tests from one year to the next in order to claim results comparable--yielded tests that were, in fact, not comparable.  When the same kids simultaneously took two of the "equated" tests, they got different results. Q.E.D.

Einhorn's study came a mere 26 years after Wayne Barrett's Village Voice cover story, "City Cheats on Reading Tests" which showed how the use of the same test in back-to-back years caused NYC scores to go up by 10 percent from 1980 to 1981, conveniently a re-election year for Mayor Koch.  That put more than half of our students above the national norm for the first time.  And anyone old enough to remember those days will recall that Koch wanted and took credit for being responsible for education.

Not to rest on his laurels, Mayor Koch and his Chancellor, Frank Macchiarola, rolled out the Promotional Gates Program in 1981, ushering in tough standards -- holding kids back a year in third grade if they were more than one year below grade level.  Barrett wrote his second feature piece in 1982, "The Politics of Flunking - Using Tests Against Kids."  The promotional policy was put together in haste, received favorable press, but there was little planning behind it in the way of what to do with the hold backs, except to send them to summer school. based on a single test score.  In short, it was a policy in search of a program.  Four years later and four outside reports on its shortcoming later--the gates were dismantled.  I'm proud to say I was Wayne's source for these two detailed stories.

Fast forward back to 2007--two years after Mayor Bloomberg won re-election--coming off startling 10 percent gains in the 2005 4th grade reading scores.  He had gotten the state legislature to make the school system a mayoral agency, thereby gaining control of its governance.  And despite the failings and critique of Koch's promotion policy, Bloomberg and his non-education chancellor Joel Klein, did the tough standards/hold us accountable dance and set up a hold-back program that ignored the gross flaws of its predecessor.

Let us also remember that Mayor Bloomberg's establishment of the Department of Education, newly headquartered in the Tweed Courthouse, coincided with the passage of the No Child Left Behind Act.  In those years testing occurred in the 4th and 8th grades. But the stakes were starting to become higher after that--with the mandate that all students would be proficient in reading and math by 2014. To that impossibility there was attached a 95% participation rule and vague consequences for schools that didn't make adequate annual progress.  This would be followed by ever-evolving models for evaluating teachers, rating principals and reorganizing or closing schools.

I digress.  By 2007, I had been able to FOIL the DOE for information that took more than a year to obtain.  It showed that the 2005 gains were spurious, half of which were achieved by denying promotion to low scorers in the third combined with a waiver that allowed NYC to exempt more English Language Learners form testing.  Subtracting both of these groups from testing in Grade 4 took students out of the test population who would otherwise have kept a lid on the 2005 results.  Juan Gonzalez reported this deception in May 2007, too late to impede the mayor's ride to victory in 2005.  But clearly this had been a deliberate attempt to rig the results

In short order NYS scores became inflated.  In 2009, the cut off score was so low that children could guess their way to Level 2.  That was significant, because it meant that a child could mark his/her answer sheet randomly and escape Level1, which was the criterion Bloomberg used for to keep children back.  Thus, when Bloomberg ran defiantly for his third term--he could claim that under his educational leadership, virtually all children were able to pass.

Scores at the state level had risen so preposterously that Regents Chancellor Merryl Tisch recognized they couldn't be sustained.  She set forth her education reform agenda that soon led into more "rigorous" tests and the Common Core era with core-based testing under contract with Pearson, Inc.  Again--top-down coercion, with NCLB leading to Race to the Top and forced compliance with a new set of exams.  This spurred the opt out movement, the need for which remains great to this day.

I'd be remiss if I didn't note two more dirty secrets: In 2013, SED began to do stand-alone field testing on a mass scale, in an effort to perpetuate the development and administration of unsound exams.  Parents realized this extra testing amounted to having their children serve as guinea pigs for the test publisher and learned there were no negative consequences for pushing back against this scheme.  And finally, SED, sensing how the winds of test resistance had picked up force, did what it often does--tried to stay one step ahead of parents and teachers by making concessions that are too little too late--such as removing time limits in 2016 (really an admission of bad test design).  And now we have two days of testing instead of three and standards that have a new name.

Before we are marched off blindly once again by SED and City Hall, into a third year of exams supplied by the latest test vendor Questar, I hope we will demand disclosure of information that will reveal how Questar's instruments functioned in 2017 and 2018. If we can't have immediate access to such data, allowing informed judgments to be made about the quality of the exams, I would urge boycotting them on April 1.

Fred