Six on Coronavirus: The beginning of the end? Don’t buy into the politics of fear; Why so many epidemics originate in Asia and Africa – and why we can expect more; Detailed Coronavirus Preparation Tips From A Renowned Pathologist; Corona Panic; Coro

panaritisp

Mar 9, 2020, 8:10:10 AM3/9/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

 Six on Coronavirus: The beginning of the end? Don’t buy into the politics of fear; Why so many epidemics originate in Asia and Africa – and why we can expect more; Detailed Coronavirus Preparation Tips From A Renowned Pathologist; Corona Panic; Coronavirus case at CPAC brings outbreak closer to Trump; Coming to a couch near you: A brave new world of telework in the coronavirus era

The beginning of the end? Don’t buy into the politics of fear

"Buying into the doomsday narratives on Covid-19, climate change, civil wars or humanitarian crises only breeds fatalism and authoritarianism, when what the world needs is creative solutions and global cooperation"

Why so many epidemics originate in Asia and Africa – and why we can expect more

"Population explosion and changing urban landscapes

An unprecedented shift in human population is one reason why more diseases originate in Asia and Africa. Rapid urbanization is happening throughout Asia and the Pacific regions, where 60% of the world already lives. According to the World Bankalmost 200 million people moved to urban areas in East Asia during the first decade of the 21st century. To put that into perspective, 200 million people could form the eighth most populous country in the world.

Migration on that scale means forest land is destroyed to create residential areas. Wild animals, forced to move closer to cities and towns, inevitably encounter domestic animals and the human population. Wild animals often harbor viruses; bats, for instance, can carry hundreds of them. And viruses, jumping species to species, can ultimately infect people.

Eventually, extreme urbanization becomes a vicious cycle: More people bring more deforestation, and human expansion and the loss of habitat ultimately kills off predators, including those that feed off rodents. With the predators gone – or at least with their numbers sharply diminished – the rodent population explodes. And as studies in Africa show, so does the risk of zoonotic disease

The situation is only likely to get worse. A major proportion of East Asia’s population still lives in rural areas. Urbanization is expected to continue for decades."

Detailed Coronavirus Preparation Tips From A Renowned Pathologist

"Robb's other tips include:

  1. NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
  2. Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches, elevator buttons, etc. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
  3. Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
  4. Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts. ... "

Corona Panic

This is the first global crisis in the social media age. What we’ve learned from social media in the last decade is that 1) information spreads fast, 2) false information spreads fastest because it’s more sensational, and 3) tribal identities are heightened when debates take place online vs. in person, so healthy debate quickly descends to a my-team-versus-yours battle. FDR said, “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself,” in an era when the only information source was a morning newspaper, edited and fact-checked by professionals, written by journalists who weren’t motivated by likes, retweets, or paid per click.

Uncertainty amid danger feels awful. So it’s comforting to have strong opinions even if you have no idea what you’re talking about, because shrugging your shoulders feels reckless when the stakes are high. Complex things are always uncertain, uncertainty feels dangerous, and having an answer makes danger feel reduced. We want firm answers when things are the most uncertain, which is when firm answers don’t really exist.

We’re not mentally prepared to think about widespread risk. Here’s German psychologist Gerd Gigerenzer in his book Risk Savvy:

People aren’t stupid. The problem is that our educational system has an amazing blind spot concerning risk literacy. We teach our children the mathematics of certainty—geometry and trigonometry—but not the mathematics of uncertainty, statistical thinking. And we teach our children biology but not the psychology that shapes their fears and desires. Even experts, shockingly, are not trained how to communicate risks to the public in an understandable way."

Coronavirus case at CPAC brings outbreak closer to Trump, threatening to upend his routine amid reelection bid

Coming to a couch near you: A brave new world of telework in the coronavirus era

"HONG KONG — For a taste of what's in store for Americans, look to Hong Kong, where businesses have been enforcing work-from-home arrangements for six weeks because of coronavirus fears.

The social experiment of teleworking en masse has unearthed pitfalls, comical moments and potential opportunities. With the virus hitting the United States and Europe, millions more will probably need to crowd into homes with children and spouses while finding a way to stay productive.

Businesses in Hong Kong say the biggest challenge is getting staff to stay focused and on task. Terence Lin, who runs an online jewelry and used-car sales business, has repeatedly caught employees slacking off on social media and playing games during work hours.

“I can see that they keep logging into Facebook, posting photos on their stories, showing up on online games,” he said of his employees, who are scattered across Hong Kong and several Chinese cities. A favorite is “Wangzhe Rongyao,” or “Honor of Kings,” a multiplayer fantasy battle game based on historical Chinese heroes. “They are always online there, and they think I can’t see them!” Lin said."

Jaswinder Singh, who drives travelers at La Guardia Airport, said he cleans his cab continuously throughout his shift coronavirus.jpg
The Strongest Evidence Yet That America Is Botching Coronavirus Testing.jpg
The new coronavirus.jpg
Fear4 levels of fear were also strongly connected to steep declines in quality of life across a range of domains, including social, personal, and financial well-being coronavirus.png
This illustration provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in January 2020 shows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).jfif
Fear Coronavirus - we find clear disparities in fears about health and pandemics across different levels of education and family income..png
We looked at fear about four specific issues - global pandemics, fears of becoming seriously ill, and fears about people you love becoming seriously ill or dying coronavirus.png
Chotiner-Epidemics-1Epidemics like the coronavirus outbreak are a mirror for humanity, reflecting the moral relationships that people have toward one other, the historian Frank M. Snowden says.jpg
This scanning electron microscope image shows SARS-Cov-2 (yellow) among human cells (pink). This virus was isolated from a patient in the U.S. coronavirus.jpg
coronavirus Trump news conference.jpg
Coronavirus.jpg
A worker cleans an abnormally uncrowded subway train in Hong Kong on Tuesday. Many in the city have been working from home for several week coronavirus.jpg
Steve Bell on Mike Pence leading US's coronavirus response – cartoon.jpg
Mike Pence has been picked to lead the Trump administration’s coronavirus response. But his handling of an AIDS crisis when in office was malevolent and incompetent..png
Coronavirus live news and latest updates US passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship have been airlifted out of Japan..jpg
The Diamond Princess cruise ship docked at Yokohama, Japan, on Friday. More than 200 coronavirus cases have been confirmed on the ship since it was quarantined last week.jpg
coronavirus-anxiety.jpg
coronavirus-facial-hair.jpg
china-coronavirus.jpg
On his way back to Morocco in 1348, Ibn Battuta encountered history’s greatest pandemic, the Black Death, which affected the Middle East as dramatically as it did Europe.jpg
plague_sabatelli_6.jpg
Shoppers in face masks as they line up at a grocery store in Wuhan, a city of 11 million, in central China’s Hubei Province. coronavirus.jpg
Feb. 18, 2020, in Seoul, South Korea, people wearing face masks pass an electric screen warning about COVID-19. coronavirus.jpg
nebraska_coronavirus A woman who tested positive with the coronavirus is brought to the University of Nebraska Medical Center..jpg
A person wearing a mask walks down a street a day after 60 people were brought to nearby hospitals to be tested for coronavirus, in Boston,.jpg
US deaths rise to 19 as New York declares state of emergency coronavirus.jpg
South Korean soldiers in protective gear sanitizing a shopping street in Seoul, South Korea, on Wednesday. coronavirus.jpg
Coronavirus comparision.jpg