Six on Food: Kyushoku: The Making of a Japanese School Lunch; Food Justice; Maple Leaves Can Be a Crispy, Fried Snack; Amuse-Bouche; During the Jim Crow Era, Pig Intestines Were a Code

panaritisp

Jun 3, 2020, 12:22:43 AM6/3/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.
Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

johnelfrankdana_new - six-on-history-help

How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana

 Six on Food: Kyushoku: The Making of a Japanese School Lunch; Food Justice; Maple Leaves Can Be a Crispy, Fried Snack; Amuse-Bouche; During the Jim Crow Era, Pig Intestines Were a Code

Kyushoku: The Making of a Japanese School Lunch

Union of Concerned Scientists: Food Justice

"Our nation is a paradox, founded both on democratic, egalitarian ideals and on systematic practices of injustice and oppression—colonialism, slavery, genocide, and exploitation of labor, especially immigrant labor—that we have never fully confronted, repudiated, or made amends for.

Our food system is Exhibit A. Our supermarket shelves display an astonishing variety of food options, yet millions of our people are excluded from that abundance. Racial and economic privilege determine what kinds of food are available to us. Food justice advocates refer to this systematic stratification of our food choices as “food apartheid”.

These inequities will not just go away; we have to do the work of dismantling them, often in the face of opposition. A host of national and local organizations are engaged in food justice work, and UCS has collaborated with several of them, most notably through our partnerships with the HEAL Food Alliance and the Good Food for All Collaborative."

Unequal access and its consequences"

Chitlins: These entrails identified safe venues for African-American performers during the Jim Crow era.

"Why were chitlins designated “slave food”? Since one’s social status dictated which part of the animal they ate, slaves mostly dined on the trotters (feet), maw (stomach), and chitlins, all of which required intense cleaning. Wealthy people tended to eat the upper portions of leg and back, hence the affluence-denoting phrase “high on the hog.”

But it wasn’t just just necessity that led African-Americans to identify with eating chitlins. Western Africans cooked and ate every edible part of animals, so slaves viewed entrails as more than just scraps. These resourceful cooking techniques linger today, as Southerners continue to slow-cook or deep-fry chitlins with vinegar and hot sauce, serving it alongside collard greens and cornbread."

An Indian woman waits to receive food at a relief camp set up inside a government-run school on the outskirts of Jammu, India, on Wednesday..jpg
Uncle Sam's Thanksgiving Dinner -- Nast.jpg
NY Times 11 26 1895 Evacuation Day Dinner.pdf
A Nepalese Hindu woman worships and offers fruit to a cow, regarded as an incarnation of the Hindu Goddess of prosperity Laxmi, during the Tihar Diwali festival in Kathmandu.jpg
difference between Siberia and the Urals is with pelmeni dumplings. The yellow ones on the left, made with carrots, duck and goose, are from the Urals. The ones on the right, pork, beef, and mutton, are from Siberia..jpg
04hunger-on-trial2013.pdf
farmer husking crop corn.jpg
mount LI Farmer husking corn 1834.jpg
A food truck in Saranda. The Greek island of Corfu is visible in the background.jpg
A food cart serving rice and chicken on a side street off Istiklal, where decrepit buildings are a common sight.jpg
Fish food … a third century pharaoh head on the ocean floor at Thonis-Heracleion..jpg
Discarded food lays in a pile as migrants and refugees stage a protest at a makeshift camp for migrants in Horgos, Serbia.jpg
Children wait to be called for food distribution near Wau, South Sudan, on July 3 after fighting in the area displaced thousands of civilians..jpg
Diego Rivera, The Capitalist’s Dinner, from Ballad of the Proletarian Revolution, 1928-1929.jpg
dali-dinner-1_Joan of Arc atop a tower of crayfish.jpg
Cutting the pies and cakes at the barbeque dinner, Pie Town, New Mexico Fair, 1940.jpg