Six on "our" Economy: the False Promise of Trump’s Tax Bill; "Be Recorder" by Carmen Giménez Smith; Terri Sewell, the Worst of the Black Caucus, Subverts $15 Wage Bill; Trump 'rodent' tweets ring true at Kushner-owned apartments; Facebook’s Audacious

1 view

panaritisp

Aug 1, 2019, 5:03:36 PM8/1/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

 Six on "our" Economy: the False Promise of Trump’s Tax Bill; "Be Recorder" by Carmen Giménez Smith; Terri Sewell, the Worst of the Black Caucus, Subverts $15 Wage Bill; Trump 'rodent' tweets ring true at Kushner-owned apartments; Facebook’s Audacious Pitch for a Global Cryptocurrency; FAIR - The NYT’s Six Percent Solution for Student Debt

A Decline in Capital Investment Reveals the False Promise of Trump’s Tax Bill

"With Donald Trump using his Twitter feed as a flamethrower on a daily basis, other significant developments, particularly policy ones, often don’t get the attention they deserve. Take last week’s G.D.P. report from the Commerce Department, which detailed a sharp slowdown in capital spending by American businesses during the second quarter of this year. To understand the full significance of this development, you need to go back to the first year of the Trump Administration.

In October, 2017, the White House Council of Economic Advisers published a white paper that claimed the Administration’s proposal to slash the tax rate on corporate profits would increase the average household income by at least four thousand dollars a year, and perhaps as much as nine thousand dollars. To say the least, it wasn’t entirely clear how presenting corporations with such a gift would generate this huge boost in living standards, but Kevin Hassett, a conservative economist who was the head of the council, suggested one possible route. “I would expect capital spending to really take off if the tax bill passes,” he told the Washington Post."

Terri Sewell, the Worst of the Black Caucus, Subverts $15 Wage Bill

"Be Recorder" by Carmen Giménez Smith

View this email on a browserForward to a friend
facebook-icon                                   tumblr-icon   twitter-icon
August 1, 2019

from Be Recorder

Carmen Giménez Smith

            after Pedro Pietri’s “Puerto Rican Obituary”

they work their fingers
to the soul their bones
to their marrow
they toil in blankness
inside the dead yellow
rectangle of warehouse
windows work fingers
to knots of fires
the young the ancients
the boneless the broken
the warehouse does too
to the bone of the good
bones of the building
every splinter spoken for
she works to the centrifuge
of time the calendar a thorn
into the sole dollar of working
without pause work their mortal
coils into frayed threads until
just tatter they worked their bones
to the soul until there was no
soul left to send worked until
they were dead gone
to heaven or back home
for the dream to have USA
without USA to export
USA to the parts under
the leather sole of the boss
they work in dreams of working
under less than ideal conditions
instead of just not ideal
conditions work for the
shrinking pension and never
dental for the illusion
of the doctor medicating them
for work-related disease
until they die leaving no empire
only more dreams that their babies
should work less who instead
work more for less
so they continue to work
for them and their kin
they work balloon payment
in the form of a heart attack
if only that’ll be me someday
the hopeless worker said on
the thirteenth of never
hollering into the canyon
of perpetual time
four bankruptcies later
three-fifths into a life
that she had planned
on expecting happiness
in any form it took
excluding the knock-off
cubed life she lived in debt
working to the millionth
of the cent her body cost
the machine’s owner
Yolanda Berta Zoila
Chavela Lucia Esperanza
Naya Carmela Celia Rocio
once worked here
their work disappearing
into dream-emptied pockets
into the landfill of work
the work to make their bodies
into love for our own

Facebook Like Button  Tweet Button

Copyright © 2019 Carmen Giménez Smith. Originally published in Poem-a-Day on August 1, 2019, by the Academy of American Poets.
Smith reads from Be Recorder

About This Poem

“I’ve always loved the music and voice in Pedro Pietri’s work, and I wanted to commemorate the important contribution ‘Puerto Rican Obituary’ has been to contemporary poetry and to me as a poet of color. My hope is that I synthesized what he did with my own music, like a remix as a long poem in my forthcoming book, Be Recorder. I began writing it by reading his poem hundreds of times, then by reimagining his critique of the ‘American Dream’ in relation to my own mother’s experiences in the marketplace. I hope I’ve done both of them—all of the folks represented in both poems—justice.”

—Carmen Giménez Smith

Carmen Giménez Smith

Carmen Giménez Smith is the author of six poetry collections, including Be Recorder, forthcoming from Graywolf Press in August 2019. She is a professor of English at Virginia Tech and lives in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Photo Credit: Adam Fitzgerald

more-at-poets

Facebook’s Audacious Pitch for a Global Cryptocurrency

"Facebook, of course, has a history of playing fast and loose with personal information, and there is little reason to believe that the data generated from Calibra will not be shared with the company. “Why should we trust Facebook?” Waters asked Marcus at the hearing. He conceded that “we have made mistakes.” Facebook says that it will not share data between Calibra and Facebook without customer consent. But, historically, consent has offered little protection from Facebook’s willingness to exploit users, either by embedding consent provisions in lengthy and obscure “privacy” policies, or ignoring users’ preferences altogether. It is also easy to imagine those unbanked people in countries where Facebook is the Internet having no choice but to use Calibra, if they want to access the benefits of Libra. What is the meaning of consent for them?"

FAIR

The NYT’s Six Percent Solution for Student Debt

view post on FAIR.org

by Jim Naureckas

Why are Democratic candidates going on about student loan debt? Why, the problem is practically solved already!

That’s the message of a piece in The Upshot (7/24/19)—the New York Times‘ project aimed at “examining politics, policy and everyday life in new ways”—written by Kevin Carey, who directs education policy at the New America foundation. (New America’s higher education program is largely funded by Bill and Melinda Gates.)

Upshot: It’s Easy to Forget, but a Program to Forgive Student Loans Already Exists

According to the New York Times‘ Upshot (7/24/19), Democratic candidates are proposing solutions to a student debt problem that has largely already been solved.

“It’s Easy to Forget, but a Program to Forgive Student Loans Already Exists,” is the headline. The subhead clarifies: “Democrats are campaigning to fix an issue that is already starting to resolve itself for many teachers and other public servants.”

After outlining proposals by Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren for large-scale forgiveness of student loans, Carey writes:

What’s strange about the new crop of proposals is that the Department of Education already has a public service loan forgiveness program, called PSLF, which President George W. Bush signed into law in 2007.

Sure, Carey admits, almost no one who applies for this program has their debts forgiven:

In the 18 months after borrowers with a decade of service in government or nonprofit jobs first became eligible in 2017, 73,554 people applied to have their student loans wiped out. And 73,036 were turned down—a rejection rate of 99.3 percent.

But that’s a problem that’s going to work itself out over time, Carey explains at great length—applicants will figure out over time how to make themselves eligible for this extremely convoluted program. The bottom line, writes Carey:

Nearly half of the $870 billion in outstanding Direct Loans — the kind that are eligible for loan forgiveness — is being repaid through income-driven plans, the kind that are eligible for loan forgiveness. And one in four American workers is in a job eligible for the forgiveness program.

So nearly half of $870 billion in debt is eligible for loan forgiveness, and one in four workers have jobs that qualify them for that program. If you do the math, that’s very roughly $100 billion that could theoretically be forgiven—or about 6 percent of the $1.6 trillion in outstanding student debt.

The upshot, according to Carey: What are these candidates belly-aching about?

Democrats competing to help teachers and other public servants with loans may be about to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to fix a problem that is already on the way to being solved.

Or 6 percent of it, anyway.

You can send a message to the New York Times at let...@nytimes.com (Twitter:@UpshotNYT). Please remember that respectful communication is the most effective. Feel free to leave copies of your messages in the comments thread.

Featured image: New York Times depiction (7/24/19) of Bernie Sanders at a student debt rally with indebted former student Pamela Hunt. (Photo: J. Scott Applewhite/AP)

FAIR/Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting
124 W. 30th Street, Suite 201
New York NY 10001
USA
An analysis by American for Tax Fairness (ATF) finds that the Republicans' plan would give more than 80 percent of tax cuts to the nation's richest one percent.png
Republicans unveil their tax bill sales pitch, with some real urgency.webp
The explanation for the lawmakers' support for the bill, said Public Citizen, isn't hard to explain or understand.jpg
gates shirt spent millions.jpgThe Education of Bill Gates.jpg
Bill Gates speaks to the media about his chicken donation plan..jpeg
Halperin-Friends-In-High-Places.pdf
White America’s racial resentment is the real impetus for welfare cuts, study says - The Washington Post.html
onmorin0725 trump.jpg
Trump oversight.jpg
Trump - we are the envy of the World.jpg
Republicans unveil their tax bill sales pitch, with some real urgency.webp
The middle class is so very important in Trump’s tax plan.webp
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) addresses a rally against the Republican tax plan outside the Capitol yesterday.jpg
Trump’s “YUGE” Tax Cut for the Rich.png
Rep. Rob Woodall (R-Ga.) holds a copy of the 2018 Republican budget plan, which includes a tax-code overhaul.jpg
What a privilege! Trump tax cuts inequality.jpg
Epsten-Dershowitz Once a friend of presidents, the ultra-rich and the elite of Wall Street’s bankers — plus a major benefactor to Harvard University — Jeffrey Epstein handled portfolios estimated to be worth over $15 billion..jpg
Detail from a recent cartoon attached to a Wall Street Journal column warning against Medicare for All..png