panaritisp

May 19, 2021, 2:33:36 PM5/19/21
to Six on History

Welcome back to Six on History.

PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

Go to the Six on History Archive to search past posts/articles click "labels" on the left when there and the topics will collapse.

Thanks
IMG_4706 (2).JPG

   Phil Panaritis

Six on History: Social Studies Resources

1) Resources for Family Engagement from the Library of Congress

We invite you and your family to participate in these activities, inspired by the collections, programs, and expertise of the Library of Congress.

Activity Kits

The activities below require just a few simple items you can find easily around the house and items from the Library's website. Kids are encouraged to use their creativity to enhance, adapt, or recreate anything we share. Check back often for new activities and opportunities with engage with us!

All Ages
  • Cooking Up History  [PDF 150KB]

    The Library's collections include thousands of cookbooks and recipes, including Thomas Jefferson's recipe for macaroni and cheese and for ice cream, cookbooks dating as far back as the 16th century, and even Rosa Parks's recipe for "featherlite pancakes". Recreate a recipe from 100 years ago preserved in Chronicling America, the Library's searchable database of historic newspapers.

  • Make a Cartonera  [PDF 125KB]

    Cartoneras are hand-painted books with cardboard covers that appeared in the early 2000s as a response to an economic crisis in Argentina. Create one based on cartoneras held in the Library's Hispanic Division. For older children, use the stitching instructions from the Make a Mini-Book activity on this page as the binding for your cartonera.

  • Puppet Power  [PDF 347KB]

    Using puppets in storytelling can help children of many ages and abilities to develop literacy skills such as decoding and building vocabulary. Use inspiration from the Library’s collections to create a puppet show at home. These two activities demonstrate how to create stick puppets and a shadow theater based on traditional Chinese shadow puppetry.

  • Remembering Rosa Parks  [PDF 351KB]

    Shortly after the death of civil rights activist Rosa Parks, letterpress artist Amos Paul Kennedy, Jr. began a print series featuring quotes by Parks. The Library's Prints and Photographs Division holds a number of Kennedy's works, which are the inspiration for this activity.

Ages 7-10
  • Be a Comic Creator  [PDF 188KB]

    Did you know that the Library of Congress holds over 140,000 issues of comics, the largest publicly-available collection of comic books in the United States? Use the Library's comic collection as inspiration for becoming your own comic creator!

  • Design Your Own Lighthouse  [PDF 360KB]

    Draw inspiration from images and architectural drawings from the Library's collections to design and build your own lighthouse.

2) Larry Ferlazzo's Ed Blog

"I teach English, Social Studies and International Baccalaureate classes to English Language Learners and mainstream students at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California.

There are nine books on my resume: The ELL Teacher’s Toolbox (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski) Navigating The Common Core With English Language Learners (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Building A Community Of Self-Motivated Learners: Strategies To Help Students Thrive In School and BeyondClassroom Management Q&As: Expert Strategies for TeachingSelf-Driven Learning: Teaching Strategies For Student MotivationThe ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers To Classroom ChallengesEnglish Language Learners: Teaching Strategies That Work; and Building Parent Engagement In Schools (with co-author Lorie Hammond).

In addition, Katie Hull Sypnieski and I have edited a series of practical classroom books for Social Studies, Science and Math teachers that were based on our The ELL/ESL Teacher’s Toolbox:  The Math Teacher’s ToolboxThe Science Teacher’s Toolbox, and The Social Studies Teacher’s Toolbox (NOTE: They have now been published!).

Katie and I are also preparing a second edition of our The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide.  In addition, I am writing a fourth book on student motivation, Building Intrinsic Motivation in the Classroom: A Practical Guide.

I’ve won several awards, including the Leadership For A Changing World Award from the Ford Foundation, and was the Grand Prize Winner of the International Reading Association Award for Technology and Reading.

In the past, when I’ve had time, I’ve taught courses in the teacher credential program at California State University, Sacramento and the University of California – Davis.

I write a popular education blog at http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/, a weekly teacher advice column for Education Week Teacher and semi-regular posts for The New York Times and The British Council. My articles on education policy appear in the Washington Post. In addition, my articles have appeared in publications such as ASCD Educational Leadership, Social Policy, and Language Magazine.

In addition, I host a weekly radio show on BAM! Education Radio.

I was a community organizer for nineteen years prior to becoming a public school teacher.

I’m married and have three children and two grandchildren.

You can also read an interview with me that appeared in the Sacramento Bee.

Here are a few other articles that would tell you more about me and my work (there is a fair amount of white space among some of the embedded resources, so you want to keep on scrolling):

Education writer Alexander Russo interviewed me for Scholastic Magazine, and you can also see it online here as “Catching Up With Larry Ferlazzo.”

Two days after Ben Carson suggested that Saul Alinsky was, and Hillary Clinton is, a devil worshiper, the KQED Mindshift blog published an interview with me about how I apply his work in the classroom (regular readers might remember that I spent nineteen years as a community organizer with the group Alinsky founded eighty years ago). Check out Books Teachers Share: Larry Ferlazzo and Rules for Radicals.

Choice Equals Power: How to Motivate Students to Learn appeared in KQED Mindshift.

Here are about 130 articles I’ve written for other publications (those don’t include the regular posts I’ve written for a few other organizations that you can see on the homepage of this blog).

You can see a number of videos on a different page of this blog, and here are links to a few short radio interviews I’ve done:

I Chose to Be Comfortable Instead of Effective on BAM! Radio

Slate podcast of Schooled: Does Class Size Matter?

I was interviewed by Val Brown about parent engagement

Justin Baeder at Principal Center Radio interviews me about student motivation

3) Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions h/t to Ken Peterson

Tools for education and self-advocacy during the pandemic and beyond

"Asking questions is an essential — yet often overlooked — lifelong learning skill.

The ability to ask better questions allows young people to:

  • Assess with a critical eye what they see in the news, online, and on social media.
  • Make their voices heard while listening to the voices of others.
  • Navigate complex situations and adapt to change.
  • Frame problems and challenges in a way that leads to action.
  • Feel greater power and self-efficacy at school.
  • Become more confident and ready to participate in civic life.
  • Contribute to a robust democracy.

Kindergartners through doctoral students become more curious, engaged, and joyful learners when they learn to formulate their own questions. This program equips all educators — at all levels — to become experts at teaching the fundamentally important skill of question formulation.

Overview

This program provides a unique, collaborative experience that models how to support meaningful learning with the Question Formulation Technique (QFT). The QFT is a deceptively simple, practical, adaptable method that helps students become more sophisticated thinkers and problem-solvers as they learn to ask better questions. The QFT was originally developed by Luz Santana and Dan Rothstein, co-directors of the Right Question Institute and co-authors of Make Just One Change: Teach Students to Ask Their Own Questions (Harvard Education Press). Their book very quickly became a classic text for strengthening inquiry in all classrooms, from kindergarten through higher education. Today, the QFT has spread to more than one million classrooms in over 150 countries.

This program expands on Santana and Rothstein’s original work by demonstrating how to adapt the QFT to a wide range of learning environments. Sarah Westbrook, the Right Question Institute’s director of professional learning, oversees this program — tapping into the wisdom of thousands of teachers who have shared creative ideas on how best to use the QFT for K-20 classrooms and drawing on extensive experience developing and facilitating professional online learning programs in the U.S. and internationally.

4)  TPS Spotlight: Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Program h/t Ken                Peterson, Legend

TPS Spotlight: Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Program
APRIL 23, 2018 BY PSN LEAVE A COMMENT

The mission of the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources (TPS) program is to: build awareness of the Library’s educational initiatives; provide content that promotes the effective educational use of the Library’s resources; and offer access to and promote sustained use of the Library’s educational resources. Learn how to get started with primary sources, then access ready-to-use classroom materials, and further your practice through free professional development. The Library … [Read more...]

5) Classroom Resources on AAPI History and Contemporary Life, Facing History and            Ourselves

"Though Asian and Pacific Islander American (AAPI) people have faced racist violence in the United States for centuries, the endurance of this racism became more visible in the last year as an uptick in violence targeting AAPI peoples entered the national consciousness. This virulent racism and the structures that allow it to persist demand response, and education is one of our most powerful tools for raising consciousness and taking steps toward repair.

For many educators who are eager to begin exploring AAPI history and contemporary experiences with students, it can be challenging to know where to start. We invite educators to use the following curricular resources and professional development offerings to begin a journey of reflection, dialogue, and learning in the classroom.

Japanese American Incarceration

Bearing Witness to Japanese American Incarceration (Teaching Idea)
March 21, 1942, marks the date that Congress passed Public Law 503. This legislation authorized the federal courts to enforce President Roosevelt’s Executive Order 9066, which sanctioned the forced removal and incarceration of Japanese Americans on the West Coast in internment camps.

This Teaching Idea probes some of the complex issues arising from the history of Japanese incarceration during World War II. While not comprehensive, these resources and activities enable students to explore difficult questions about national identity, institutional racism, and the boundaries of US citizenship.

Teaching Farewell to Manzanar (Unit)
Jeanne Wakatsuki was seven years old in 1942 when the United States government authorized the forced relocation of all Japanese Americans on the West Coast to internment camps. Teaching Farewell to Manzanar interweaves a literary analysis of Jeanne’s memoir with an exploration of the relevant historical context surrounding her experience.

This guide provides engaging activities, teaching strategies, and recommended media to structure your students' reading of the memoir. Throughout their study, students will return the central questions:  How do our confrontations with justice and injustice help to shape our identity? How do those confrontations influence the things we say and do?

Teaching Farewell to Manzanar: A Memoir of Japanese Internment (On-Demand Webinar)
Watch this webinar to explore teaching Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston's powerful memoir of her family’s internment at Manzanar Internment Camp in California.

George Takei: Standing Up to Racism Then and Now (On-Demand Webinar)
As part of the Facing History virtual Community Conversation Series, actor and activist George Takei discusses his family’s wrongful incarceration during World War II and how we can all take action against anti-Asian racism on the rise today.

And Then They Came for Us (Documentary)
This history of Japanese American internment during World War II is retold in this documentary from Abby Ginzberg and Ken Schneider. It also follows Japanese American activists today as they speak out against the Muslim registry and travel ban.

Chinese American Experience and Chinese Political History

Becoming American: The Chinese Experience (Documentary) + accompanying study guide
The film Becoming American: The Chinese Experience describes the ways the first arrivals from China in the 1840s, their descendants, and recent immigrants have "become American." It is a story about identity and belonging that will resonate with all Americans. The goal of the study guide that accompanies the film is to explore this universal theme within this particular history. Throughout the guide, students are encouraged to relate the experiences of Chinese Americans in America to their own community’s histories and the history of the nation as a whole.

Teaching Red Scarf Girl (Unit)
Teaching Red Scarf Girl has been developed to help classrooms explore essential themes, including conformity, obedience, prejudice, and justice. This study guide accompanies Red Scarf Girl, Ji-li Jiang’s engaging memoir that provides an insightful window into the first tumultuous years of the Cultural Revolution in China. Exploring the choices made by Jiang, her family, and her peers provides an opportunity for students to gain awareness of a significant moment in world history and provides them with an opportunity to reflect on their own role as members of families, schools, neighborhoods and nations.

Native Hawaiians and Indigenous Sovereignty

Indigenous Rights and the Controversy Over Hawaii’s Maunakea Telescope (Teaching Idea)
Since mid-July 2019, Native Hawaiian protesters have been blocking the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on Maunakea (also spelled Mauna Kea), the highest mountain in Hawaii. Maunakea has some of the clearest views of the skies in the world, and it also is one of the most sacred places to Native Hawaiians. Many Native Hawaiians view the plan to build this telescope on Maunakea’s peak as the latest affront to their rights over their ancestral lands. The events on Maunakea raise important questions about the US government’s treatment of indigenous peoples and Native Hawaiians’ claims to sovereignty. This Teaching Idea provides historical context for the protests against the Thirty Meter Telescope and helps students explore the reasons why many Native Hawaiians oppose its construction.

--

Facing History and Ourselves invites educators to use our Teaching Idea Bearing Witness to Japanese American Incarceration in the classroom.

Access Resources

Pictured above: A portion of the cover of Teaching Farewell to Manzanar (Facing History and Ourselves, 2018).

Topics: Japanese American IncarcerationAsian American and Pacific Islander History"

6) NYCDOE Social Studies - Resources and Professional Learning Opportunities
     get on their mailing list!

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Dear Educator,

We hope this email finds you, your family, and your school community healthy and safe!

Ranked Choice Voting
NYCVotes has created flyers to inform voters about Ranked Choice Voting. Flyers are available in multiple languages here and can be shared with your school community.

DemocracyNYC has updated their website to include important information about this year's primary, including palm cards to prepare for using Ranked Choice Voting.

Ranked Choice Voting Trainings
In this year’s city primary election, New Yorkers will use Ranked Choice Voting - a system that allows voters to rank up to 5 candidates in order of preference instead of choosing just one. This new system will foster more positive, issue-focused campaigns, give voters more choice, and ensure that elected officials are accountable to a broader spectrum of their constituents. But it could also create added confusion for New Yorkers of all ages.
Civics for All has worked with a group of NYCDOE high school students to design 45 minute Ranked Choice Voting training sessions that can be available to the voters in your school community.
To schedule a group of Ranked Choice Voting Student Leaders to provide a virtual training on ranked choice voting to your teachers, PTA, or other group in your school community contact jry...@schools.nyc.gov with the subject line RCV Training.

May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
The NYCDOE has created these K-12 resources and this AAPI Heritage Month Resource Guide to incorporate Asian Pacific-American history in your curriculum throughout the school year—as well as support the DOE’s system-wide commitment to elevate anti-discrimination and anti-bullying best practices, and build empathy and acceptance during this challenging time.

May is Jewish American Heritage Month
  The Social Studies and Civics for All Team has created a Jewish American Heritage Month Resource Guide to encourage teachers to illuminate the contributions that Jewish Americans have made to our collective history, not only in May, but throughout the year.

Professional Learning
NYCDOE Social Studies Department
Join us for the 2021 LBGTQ+ History Talks!
 Middle and high school ELA and Social Studies teachers: join the Office of Curriculum, Instruction, and Professional Learning for the 2021 NYCDOE LGBTQ+ History Talks! This May and June we’ll showcase some of the most engaging contemporary voices in LGBTQ+ history from 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm via Zoom. To register, visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/153552153625

Our series starts with Jen Manion author of Female Husbands: A Trans History on June 1st, followed by C. Riley Snorton, author of Black on Both Sides: A Racial History of Trans Identity on June 10th. Our Final talk will be delivered by Hugh Ryan, author of When Brooklyn Was Queer on June 17th.

The first 40 NYCDOE teachers to register for the series and attend all three talks will receive 10 copies of each book above. When registering at the Eventbrite link, please select the "Book set” option. If you are placed on the "Book set waitlist," you will be waitlisted to receive the book sets if one of the first 40 registrants does not attend both of their grade-banded book talks. The Eventbrite registration will also ask you to register via the NYCDOE Zoom (https://nycdoe.zoom.us) registration page for the event, this will allow you to access the talks. In order to receive your books you must sign into both book talks on time with your DOE email address (@schools.nyc.gov). If you are one of the first 40 registrants and log on with an email address other than your DOE email (i.e. a personal email or school-specific email) we cannot guarantee that you will be counted in attendance and will not receive the book set of each book. All attendees receive CTLE credit.

NYCDOE Social Studies Department
Passport to Social Studies: Teaching Grade 7 Unit 5 (A Nation Divided)
5/20/21 | 3:00 - 4:30 PM
Join the NYCDOE Social Studies team and New-York Historical Society for this professional learning session. Participants will examine course content for Unit 5 of the Grade 7 curriculum and consider resources and culturally responsive strategies for teaching the Civil War.

NYCDOE Social Studies Department
Digital Tools to Support the Passport to Social Studies Digital Curriculum – Jamboard Deep Dive
5/25/21 | 3:30 - 4:30 PM
Join members of the DOE Social Studies team as they model the use of Jamboard to support the Passport to Social Studies Digital curriculum. This one-hour workshop-style session will give participants a hands-on experience using Jamboard to enhance student engagement with grade-specific Passport to Social Studies for Digital Learning materials. Participants will consider opportunities for using Jamboard in their own remote and hybrid classrooms.

NYCDOE Social Studies Department
Digital Tools to Support the Passport to Social Studies Digital Curriculum – Low-Tech Discussion Board Deep Dive
5/26/21 | 3:00 - 4:00 PM
Join members of the DOE Social Studies team as they model the use of Low-Tech Discussion Boards to support the Passport to Social Studies Digital curriculum. This one-hour workshop-style session will give participants a hands-on experience using Low-Tech Discussion Boards to enhance student engagement with grade-specific Passport to Social Studies for Digital Learning materials. Participants will consider opportunities for using Low-Tech Discussion Boards in their own remote and hybrid classrooms.

NYCDOE Social Studies Department
Digital Tools to Support the Passport to Social Studies Digital Curriculum – Google Forms Deep Dive
5/27/21 | 3:00 - 4:00 PM
Join members of the DOE Social Studies team as they model the use of Google Forms to support the Passport to Social Studies Digital curriculum. This one-hour workshop-style session will give participants a hands-on experience using Google Forms to enhance student engagement and assessment with grade-specific Passport to Social Studies for Digital Learning materials. Participants will consider opportunities for using Google Forms in their own remote and hybrid classrooms.

Brooklyn Museum
Virtual Teacher Program: Teaching China through the Arts
5/20/21 | 5:30–7:30 pm
Join us online for a teacher professional development workshop, held in conjunction with the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia. Learn about our Arts of China Teaching Toolkit, a new free, online resource designed to support culturally inclusive learning by introducing students to the complexity and diversity of China. Hear from Joan Cummins, Lisa and Bernard Selz Senior Curator, Asian Art, who presents key themes and artworks from the Museum’s recently reinstalled Arts of Asia galleries. Then, work with New York City public school teachers Sara Greenfield, Zach Lombardi, and Lisa Rosado as they model activities and share strategies for an arts-integrated approach to incorporating Chinese history and culture into the classroom.

Quiet Before: Unearthing Anti-Asian Violence
Quiet Before: Unearthing Anti-Asian Violence is a six week virtual series that looks at Asian Pacific American history and the current state of community in all its nuance.
For Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, the series will feature five virtual panels of historians, scholars, activists and artists sharing experience and stories from a spectrum of perspectives:
  • History: Asian American history as American history
  • Context: The context of violence in Asian American history.
  • Today: The current state of the Asian Pacific American community.
  • The Future: The intersectional vision of the next generation.
  • Policy: Mentoring young organizers and activists through the political process.
For more information and to register, please visit www.quietbefore.com. To obtain CTLE credit, please register with your NYCDOE email. After each panel, a link to a google form will be shared to confirm your attendance.
Visit this link for a full list of speakers.

LGBTQ+ Inclusive Online Resources PD Webinar Series
Join The WNET Group, New York City Department of Education, Hetrick-Martin Institute, PFLAG NYC, American Social History Project, Museum of the City of New York, New-York Historical Society, and LGBTQ+scholars for four unique opportunities to learn tips and strategies for making your curriculum LGBTQ+ inclusive and support your LGBTQ+ students. CTLE/continuing education credit available.

Resources to Make your Social Studies Curriculum LGBTQ+Inclusive
5/20/21 | 4:00 - 5:15 PM
Learn how to make your social studies curriculum LGBTQ+ Inclusive with video-based resources from The WNET Group’s LGBTQ+ Identity: A Toolkit for Educators, New York City Department of Education’s Hidden Voices, and classroom ready strategies from LGBTQ+ scholars.

Social Emotional Learning Support for your LGBTQ Students
5/25/21 | 4:00 - 5:15 PM
Learn about how to help your LGBTQ+ students feel seen, safe and thrive in school with resources from The WNET Group’s LGBTQ+ Identity: A Toolkit for Educators collection on PBS LearningMedia and PFLAG NYC’s programs and online materials.

Stony Brook University's Center for News Literacy
07/12/21- 07/15/21
Stony Brook University's Center for News Literacy is offering a four-day, virtual Academy this summer on how to prepare students to judge the reliability of news and information, with a special emphasis on navigating the potential perils of the internet and social media.  Participants will be eligible for 20 CTLE credits and will leave with lessons they can immediately introduce into the classroom.
Details and information about how to apply are here.

05/25/2021
Willesden READS is an extraordinary multi-layered, interdisciplinary program based on the book, The Children of Willesden Lane. The story engages students in learning about the Holocaust, the importance of standing up against bigotry and hatred, and the transformative power of music. K-8 school librarians, classroom, and music teachers can participate in an online professional learning session and gain access to eBooks for their students and a livestreamed theatrical event and performance. For more background on the program, please see Willesden READS on Vimeo.

 News Literacy Project (NLP), The Wall Street Journal & the New York City Department of Education
NewsLitCamp® with The Wall Street Journal
6/03/21 | 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM and 12:45 PM - 3:00 PM
Join the News Literacy Project and the New York City Department of Education for a virtual, free educator-centered NewsLitCamp® led by WSJ journalists and NLP’s news literacy experts, designed to empower you to teach news literacy. Open to U.S. middle and high school educators. Educators attending all sessions and completing an end of day feedback survey will receive a certificate of participation to apply for continuing education credits from their school districts. NYC DOE participants can receive up to six hours of CTLE credit (must sign up with your DOE email to be eligible).

NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project
The NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project is offering free Educator Tools including virtual field trips for the 2021 School Year!
The NYC LGBT Historic Sites Project, https://www.nyclgbtsites.org, has developed a series of free Educator Tools designed for high school teachers and students that connect historic LGBTQ sites with classroom studies, including humanities and social studies. All include ten-minute video presentations accompanied with downloadable two-page, PDF summaries with general questions about historic places, intersectionality, and representation. Links to detailed website entries and additional resources are included.
● Teacher’s Guide: Provides guidelines to teachers who would like to learn more about teaching LGBTQ place-based history in the classroom by using the project website as a resource.
● Student’s Guide: Shows students how to engage in LGBTQ place-based history by using the project website as a resource.
● Stonewall & Greenwich Village LGBTQ History Tour: Explores Stonewall, site of the 1969 uprising, and other sites in the surrounding area related to LGBTQ history.
● LGBTQ Discrimination & Activism History Tour: Features historic places where LGBTQ New Yorkers have faced discrimination and where they have fought back through activism and protest.
● Black LGBTQ History & Culture Tour: Features sites connected to the Harlem Renaissance, leading figures of the Black civil rights movement and LGBTQ rights movement, and important community spaces.
All videos are shareable through Vimeo and designed for high school students. Interested teachers can access these free tools by visiting https://www.nyclgbtsites.org/educatortools/. For more information or questions, email in...@nyclgbsites.org.

History UnErased
History UnErased is offering free professional learning opportunities to all NYCDOE K-12 educators
History UnErased has multiple targeted professional learning opportunities for elementary educators, secondary educators, and school & district leaders. Participants receive 30+ digital LGBTQ-inclusive, intersectional resources with virtual professional learning to integrate and/or support LGBTQ-inclusive curriculum.
To find out more information visit the History UnErased NYC 2021 Professional Learning Calendar here.

Student Opportunities

Voter Registration Drives - In Our Hands
In Our Hands, a youth-led coalition of NYC youth activists aimed at engaging youth in the 2021 electoral cycle is holding a series of voter registration drives throughout the month of May before the May 28th voter registration deadline. In Our Hands is providing supplies, support, and volunteer service hours to students to hold drives at their lunch time or after school and is also providing supplies, support, and compensation to students to host drives on the weekend.
Please pass this incredible opportunity onto your students as we are eager to have a historical youth voter turnout for the mayoral and municipal primaries this June! Students can use this Google form to sign up:

YVote Summer 2021 Activist Institute
Are you interested in helping transform the political landscape? Apply to join YVote to be on the front lines of a youth social change movement organized around creating change--and holding elected officials accountable--around issues you care about: criminal, climate, gender & LGBTQIA, healthcare & mental health, immigration, or racial justice. Program meets on Tuesday evenings, July 13-Aug 17, with a $150 stipend for full participation. Learn more at www.yvoteny.org/apply and apply directly at www.tinyurl.com/YVoteApp

Next Generation Politics Summer Civic Fellowship
Looking to broaden your perspective this summer, and to engage in conversation with peers and experts about some of the most pressing issues of our time: like what would a just and equitable criminal justice system look like and how do we create it? Where is the line between free speech and hate speech? How do we ensure free and fair elections that enable all citizens to vote and have a voice? Applications are now OPEN for Next Gen Politics' six week Civic Summer Fellowship (on Zoom), which launches on July 14. Further information here and application at www.tinyurl.com/NGPApp.

NYYCI
We are reaching 100! NYYCI is excited to share our growing database of diverse civic opportunities for youth to engage in now and through the summer. Current opportunities include: Project NextGen's New York State Senator Brian Kavanaugh's Youth Policy Cabinet, Youth Climate Projects' climate communication fellowship in the Adirondacks, and ArtsConnection's Art and Activism Panel and Workshop. Please check out nyyci.org/getinvolved and find your personal pathway to civic action.

NYCDOE
Free LGBTQ+ Live Virtual Field Trips for Grades 9-12!
In partnership with the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, the NYC Department of Education is offering free, live virtual field trips on LGBTQ+ history and identity. Grade 9-12 NYC DOE teachers can register to visit the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum with their classes.
Each trip includes a pre-lesson that introduces key concepts, background knowledge, and vocabulary, as well as a post-lesson that supports students making connections, sharing observations, and extending their learning from the trip. All schools can also access several asynchronous trips as well as other materials to support student learning. Don't wait, register today! Registration is first come, first served.
For questions, email VirtualF...@schools.nyc.gov

Remote and Blended Learning Resources

The Social Studies and Civics Department now has a Youtube Playlist to view Virtual Content Specialists Videos to support the online Passport Digital Curriculum
Visit the Passport Digital Youtube Channel Here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0uGMZZhqRH_QXs1nnUpmpQ/playlists
Passport Digital Curriculum videos are created by Virtual Content Specialists and are categorized into different Youtube Playlists based on grade level. For more information on accessing the Passport Digital Youtube Channel visit our guide hereVideos in the playlists are updated weekly, so be sure to check back often for new videos for your grade level!

We're pleased to announce the launch of our partner Mikva Challenge's Ranked Choice Voting Lessons!
In this year’s city primary election, New Yorkers will use Ranked Choice Voting - a system that allows voters to rank up to 5 candidates in order of preference instead of choosing just one. This new system will foster more positive, issue-focused campaigns, give voters more choice, and ensure that elected officials are accountable to a broader spectrum of their constituents. But it could also create added confusion for New Yorkers of all ages. This curriculum, made up of 5 lessons and activities, is meant to inform younger generations about this new way of voting. Exposing young people to Ranked Choice Voting will help prepare them before they enter the voting booth, and encourage them to educate their peers and communities about Ranked Choice Voting. These lessons were created by Mikva Challenge, in partnership with Citizens Union Foundation and supported by the New York Community Trust.

Grades K-12: Passport Digital Curriculum:
For the 2020-2021 school year, please know that the Passport to Social Studies and Civics for All curricula have been adapted for use in remote and blended learning classrooms. Materials for remote and blended learning are available on the NYCDOE TeachHub. Materials include Unit Overviews/Day-by-Days, Lessons (in the form of Google Slides), and fillable PDF files of the Passport to Social Studies student workbooks in the 10 DOE languages. Additional lessons and resources will be added on a rolling basis.

The easiest way to access the Passport Google Drive is by visiting the DOE’s TeachHub (teachhub.schools.nyc) and clicking on the Passport icon (pictured below). Please do not try to share materials from the Passport Digital Google Drive via links. All materials and folders are “View-only.” In addition, the material can only be accessed by users signed into their official DOE Google account. To sign in with these credentials, use your user name associated with your @schools.nyc.gov email address. If you sign in via the TeachHub each time, you can be sure you are using the correct DOE credentials.

Passport to Social Studies student workbooks are uploaded to the TeachHub (teachhub.schools.nyc), however, if you’re looking for more guidance on how to locate the student workbooks in the TeachHub, extract PDF pages and upload student workbooks to your Google Classroom please visit the video tutorials linked here.

Look for this icon on the NYCDOE TeachHub to access Grades K-12: Passport Digital Curriculum

As always, our Social Studies and Civics resources and curricula are available online and are linked below:
  • The Passport to Social Studies curriculum is available digitally on WeTeach linked here.
  • The K-12 Civics for All curriculum is available digitally on WeTeach linked here.
  • Our team has compiled a list of remote learning resources and student opportunities into a regularly updated Google sheet. You can find that list here.

The Civics for All Current Issues and Events collection is designed to support teachers in connecting fundamental social studies concepts to current events. A resource guide for family and teacher-facing resources about Black History Month can be found here. A resource guide for teaching about the Transfer of Power in the United States can be found here and includes materials for teaching both Inauguration Day and the early days of a new presidency. Lesson plans on the impeachment process for grades 3 – 12, as well as additional resources and infographics, can be found here. A resource list to support teachers in holding conversations with their students following the insurrection at the United States Captiol on January 6, 2021 can be found here.

Together with the Division of School Climate & Wellness, our social studies and civics teams have updated our resource to support teachers in having discussions on racism and systemic inequality. The updated Resources to Support Discussions on Racism and Systemic Inequality resource guide can be accessed here.

The NYCDOE Social Studies and Civics for All team has created a resource guide to support educators in addressing Anti-Asian bias, discrimination, and hate. Resources are also included to support the necessary inclusion of Asian-American history as part of NYCDOE’s emphasis on culturally responsive and sustaining education. The Resource Guide to Support Discussions on Increases in Anti-Asian Bias, Racism, and Hate Crimes is linked here.

We'd also like to remind you that our Election and Post Election resources are available and linked below. Post-Election 2020 Resource Guide is linked here and our Election 2020 Resource Guide is located in the Passport to Social Studies Grades K-12: Passport Digital Curriculum folder in the subfolder Grades K-12: Current Issues and Events Resources accessible through the TeachHub.

Over the past months of remote learning the Social Studies and Civics teams have uploaded our remote professional learning sessions and events recordings to Microsoft Stream. Be sure to follow our stream to receive updates on the latest recordings that are posted.

Best,

The Social Studies Department

NYCDOE Social Studies Dept | 52 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10011

Sent by jry...@schools.nyc.gov
Commemorative Plaque - both.pdf
PrimarySources[1].pdf
SIGHT Analysis Worksheet.pdf
How to Use images in the Classroom.pdf
JFK Inaugural Address.pdf
Competing Visions - letters to the Roosevelts.doc