Six on Geography and Science: Jane Jacobs vs. The Power Brokers; Room to Breathe: My Quest to Clean Up My Home's Filthy Air; And Leafly’s 2019 strain of the year is…; Is 'Crinkle Concrete' the Next Architecture Trend?; Tokyo Drivers Gridlocked As 12

panaritisp

Dec 15, 2019, 11:35:00 PM12/15/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

Six on Geography and Science: Jane Jacobs vs. The Power Brokers; Room to Breathe: My Quest to Clean Up My Home's Filthy Air; And Leafly’s 2019 strain of the year is…; Is 'Crinkle Concrete' the Next Architecture Trend?; Tokyo Drivers Gridlocked As 12-Legged Catbus Overturns On Highway; Hospital in Oregon

Jane Jacobs vs. The Power Brokers How the patron saint of progressive urban planning’s ideas and ideals were implemented - and corrupted.

Room to Breathe: My Quest to Clean Up My Home's Filthy Air

"This past winter, I played the role of reluctant shut-in. I was recovering from a health calamity which forced me to spend my days working from a sofa in my den. I had never spent so much time inside my home—a 131-year-old, two-and-a-half-bedroom, fourth-floor apartment in Brooklyn’s Cobble Hill Historic District. I live here with my three children, and we consider ourselves lucky to have nine windows on three exposures. I feel less lucky about the constant hum of the six-lane Brooklyn Queens Expressway one block away, or the hiss of the old-fashioned steam heat system.

I also suffer from a perennial sinus infection that usually shows up during February or March, then blossoms into a full upper respiratory infection before the grand finale: situational asthma that requires two different inhalers; prednisone; and during one particularly bad bout, a nebulizer at urgent care. I wasn’t sure when my yearly scourge would make its appearance, but I was certain it would be soon. ...

Not too long ago, our outdoor air was deadly. On Thanksgiving Day in 1966, a thick toxic smog covered New York City, and about 200 people died from inhaling it. After the passage of the Clean Air Act and creation of the Environmental Protection Act in 1970, our air has improved. However, the current administration continues to roll back those emission-curbing protections, and for the first time in four decades, there’s been a 15 percent increase in unhealthy or hazardous outdoor air quality in the United States.

Add to that the effects of climate change, like the wildfires in California, and staying indoors is often the only means of keeping our lungs safe. The environment that has the greatest impact on our health, the one where we spend up to 90 percent of our days, is mostly unregulated and often makes us sick."

Room to Breathe: My Quest to Clean Up My Home's Filthy Air

And Leafly’s 2019 strain of the year is…

"It is widely believed that Wedding Cake is a cross between Cherry Pie and GSC, but the breeder, Seed Junky J Beezy of Seed Junky Genetics, lists it as a phenotype of Triangle Mints via Instagram. We reached out to him for discussion about the discrepancy, but weren’t able to connect. Still, we’re choosing to ride with the creator on this one.

Aesthetically, most Wedding Cake flowers will be c-c-c-coated in trichomes that are stacked on top of dark green buds with purple accents, thoroughly flushed by orange hairs. Buds are thick and dense, busting into a perfect pile of green goodness when run through a fresh grinder."

Is 'Crinkle Concrete' the Next Architecture Trend?

“We’re pushing the limits of what this material can do,” says a designer behind the Kennedy Center’s new building, describing its experimental concrete treatments."

okyo Drivers Gridlocked As 12-Legged Catbus Overturns On Highway

Hospital in Oregon

Marilyn Chin

Shhh, my grandmother is sleeping,
They doped her up with morphine for her last hours.
Her eyes are black and vacant like a deer’s.
She says she hears my grandfather calling.

A deerfly enters through a tear in the screen,
Must’ve escaped from those there sickly Douglas firs.
Flits from ankle to elbow, then lands on her ear.
Together, they listen to the ancient valley.

From A Portrait of the Self as Nation: New and Selected Poems (W. W> Norton, 2018). Copyright © 2018 by Marilyn Chin. Used with the permission of the poet.

Marilyn Chin

Marilyn Chin was born in Hong Kong and raised in Portland, Oregon. The author of six poetry collections, she currently serves as a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets.

A certain remorseless force has rendered the landscape badly scrambled.jpg
A Nepalese woman picks marigold flowers to make garlands during Tihar festival in Kathmandu, Nepal, on Oct. 17. Marigold garlands are used as offerings to Hindu deities as well as for decorative purposes during Tihar fest.jpg
A never-ending procession of stories.jpg
A woman with Brassica oleracea in Pieter Aertsen, Market Scene, 1569..jpg
Basilica_di_San_Pietro_1450 19th-century drawing of Old Saint Peter's Basilica as it is thought to have looked around 1450 AD.jpg
dali-dinner-1_Joan of Arc atop a tower of crayfish.jpg
dalimontaigne35.jpgOne of Salvador Dalí’s illustrations for the essays of Montaigne.jpg
dalimontaigne36.jpg force of imagination.jpg
DALLOL, ETHIOPIA A sulphur lake is pictured in the Danakil Depression on January 23, 2017 near Dallol, Ethiopia. The depression lies 100 metres below sea level and is one of the hottest and most inhospitable places o.jpg
A Brass Ankle family near Summerville, S.C., in December 1938. The Brass Ankles are a tri-racial isolate group believed to be descended from runaway enslaved Africans, white indentured servants and Native Americans..jpg
A breathtaking aerial view of Masada, once a mountain fortress built by order of Herod the Great during the 1st Century BCE (BC)..jpeg
A bridge across the Ciliwung. The waterways under Jakarta’s kampungs have become default sewers..jpg
A brief history of the Olympic games.png
A Navajo girl hugging her dog while she watches the sheep on the high plateau.jpg
A nearly full moon rises over the Temple of Poseidon, the ancient Greek god of the seas, in Cape Sounion, east of Athens, Greece,.jpg
A NegraTarsila do Amaral. A Negra. 1923.jpg
A Nepalese Buddhist woman lights butter lamps on full moon day at the Boudhanath Stupa in Kathmandu, Nepal on Tuesday. The Boudhanath Stupa is an important pilgrimage site for Buddhists.jpg