Six on Geography and Science: What Happens If We Hit Sperm Count Zero?; How Connected Is Your Community to Everywhere Else in

philip panaritis

Sep 22, 2018, 12:10:37 AM9/22/18
to Six on History
 If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Geography and Science: What Happens If We Hit Sperm Count Zero?; How Connected Is Your Community to Everywhere Else in America?; Physics & Astronomy Zone on Twitter; The social fabric of forest soil; Tough-Guy Myths of Reproduction; The Maps That Show That City vs. Country Is Not Our Political Fault Line;

What Happens If We Hit Sperm Count Zero?

"If we are half as fertile as the generation before us, why haven't we noticed? One answer is that there is a lot of redundancy built into reproduction: You don't need 200 million sperm to fertilize an egg, but that's how many the average man might devote to the job. Most men can still conceive a child naturally with a depressed sperm count, and those who can't have a booming fertility-treatment industry ready to help them. And though lower sperm counts probably have led to a small decrease in the number of children being conceived, that decline has been masked by sociological changes driving birth rates down even faster: People in the developed world are choosing to have fewer children, and they are having them later.

The problem has been debated among fertility scientists for decades now—studies suggesting that sperm counts are declining have been appearing since the '70s—but until Swan and her colleagues' meta-analysis, the results have always been judged incomplete or preliminary. Swan herself had conducted smaller studies on declining sperm counts, but in 2015 she decided it was time for a definitive answer. She teamed up with Hagai Levine, an Israeli epidemiologist, and Niels Jørgensen, a Danish endocrinologist, and along with five others, they set about performing a systematic review and meta-regression analysis—that is, a kind of statistical synthesis of the data. “Hagai is a very good scientist, and he also used to be the head of epidemiology for the Israeli armed forces,” Swan told me. “So he's very good at organizing.” They spent a year working with the data."

Physics & Astronomy Zone on Twitter

What if It Was Your City, by Alberto Lucas López, was first published in Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post to mark the the 70 year anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombs.jpg
Climate change, our biggest threat, can't be stopped at the border.jpg
Climate data shows ice thinning and skulls thickening.jpg
Climate-change-Climate-Shmange.jpg
climate-change-forecast-cartoon-600x423.jpg
climate-chaos2.jpg
climbing Moab Rock in Utah.jpg
King Eider by Daniel P. Huffman visualizes the arctic life of the king eider sea duck. This is one of 135 pieces that Huffman produced for the Ecological Atlas of the Bering, Chukchi, and Beaufort Seas..jpg
Eastern Pacific Ring of Fire, by John Nelson, showing the boundaries of the Earth’s tectonic plates.jpg
A woman carries a sack outside a market during heavy rains in Chandigarh, India,.jpg
A woman carries bags of sachet water she bought in Baruwa Lagos, Nigeria,.jpg
Yemenis who were stranded in Egypt pray as they disembark from their plane at Sanaa international airport in Yemen.jpg
You finished your plate because ....jpg
Cliff Palace, Mesa Verde, from the Ruins, 1904. Cliff Palace is the largest cliff dwelling in North America. The structure built by the Ancestral Puebloans is located in Mesa Verde National Park.jpg
Climate change is worsening existing problems in China, like the effects of air pollution linked to car emissions.jpg