Women's History is Every Month: For This Feminist Collective in Puerto Rico, the Mass Protests Were a Long Time Coming; A century of trailblazers in US politics; the Propaganda Against Women’s Rights 100 Years Ago; Gender equality at home takes a hi

panaritisp

Aug 12, 2019, 11:08:46 PM8/12/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Women's History is Every Month: For This Feminist Collective in Puerto Rico, the Mass Protests Were a Long Time Coming; A century of trailblazers in US politics; the Propaganda Against Women’s Rights 100 Years Ago; Gender equality at home takes a hit when children arrive; Toni Morrison, A Single Working Mother Who Became One Of The Greatest Novelists Of Her Generation, Died On Monday; First Statue Featuring Real Women In Central Park Will Be Redesigned To Include Sojourner Truth

"The Colectiva has been pushing Mr. Rosselló on feminist issues since he was elected in 2017. In November 2018, they camped outside of his mansion for three days, demanding that he declare a state of emergency as domestic violence surged across the islandpost-Hurricane María. He refused at the time, but met with them earlier this year, when the Colectiva gave him a list of demands, including the introduction of a gender studies curriculum in public schools to help prevent violence against women.

For This Feminist Collective in Puerto Rico, the Mass Protests Were a Long Time Coming

A century of trailblazers in US politics women

Odd Vintage Postcards Document the Propaganda Against Women’s Rights 100 Years Ago

"At the turn of the century, the women’s suffrage movement faced significant levels of abuse and resistance. One photograph has circulated, for example, of a suffrage activist lying in the street as police beat her. (The woman in the photo is not Susan B. Anthony, as many claim, but a British suffragist named Ada Wright, beaten on “Black Friday” in 1910.) It’s an arresting image that captures just how violently men of the day fought against the movement for women's suffrage. [It’s also worth noting, as many have: the early suffrage movement campaigned only for white women’s right to vote, and sometimes actively resisted civil rights for African-Americans.]

Gender equality at home takes a hit when children arrive

Toni Morrison, A Single Working Mother Who Became One Of The Greatest Novelists Of Her Generation, Died On Monday

"Prior to her death, Morrison lived in Grand View-on-Hudson, a town along the Hudson River.
Originally from Lorain, Ohio, Morrison moved to New York City in 1968 after being transferred by Random House, where she was working as an editor. By then, she was a single working mother who had published her first novel, The Bluest Eye, written during nights while her two children slept. In New York, she chose to settle in Queens, because as she described in a 2003 New Yorker profile, ”I always wanted a garden.”

gallery-of-suffrage-005-c25a51Political cartoons from before women could vote.jpeg
Ferraro was a New York Representative and had a background as a teacher and a lawyer women.jpg
The women serving in the 84th Congress - in 1955 - pose on the Capitol steps.jpg
One hundred years ago - on 4 June 1919 - Congress approved the 19th Amendment to the US constitution guaranteeing the right of American women to vote.jpg
Athapascan_women_selling_crafts_on_board_USS_Patterson_Norton_Sound__Alaska_ca1898.jpg
Women of the Eastern states reaching for the light of Lady Liberty.jpg
Women workers install fixtures and assemblies to a tail fuselage section of a B-17F bomber at the Douglas Aircraft Company, Long Beach, Calif.jpg
League of Women Voters members in front of the White House, 1924..jpg
The Pay Gap Women.jpg
Customers at McSorley’s Old Ale House jeer at Lucy Komisar, who was among the first women to drink at the pub after the city passed a new anti-discrimination law.jpg
Women in Am. Rev. Lucy Knox letter.pdf
gallery-of-suffrage-001-54ae51A Gallery of Suffrage, For Your Voting Pleasure.jpeg
Women working in World War I United States factory.jpg
'Firefighters are on call 24 hours and they get paid. Are we home attendants special because we're women We are also on call. Why shouldn't we get all our pay.jpg
Seneca Falls flyer suffrage.jpg
Woman Suffrage Centennial The Last Trench.jpg
gallery-of-suffrage-13-f27ed7 TR.jpeg
gallery-of-suffrage-11-4eb283 Votes for White women.jpeg
seneca_falls.pdf
AASuffrageQuotes.doc
gallery-of-suffrage-1.jpeg