Six on Poetry: Poems to Take Shelter In; Brown Love, The Days to Come, Alone, The 19th Amendment & My Mama, Hope is the thing with feathers, The Bronze Legacy, Invictus, Gate A-4, Patience, Everyone Sang

panaritisp

Mar 24, 2020, 5:29:43 PM3/24/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

 Six on Poetry: Poems to Take Shelter In; Brown Love, The Days to Come, Alone, The 19th Amendment & My Mama, Hope is the thing with feathers, The Bronze Legacy, Invictus, Gate A-4, Patience, Everyone Sang

Poems to Take Shelter In

Here is a selection of poems that were chosen from Poets.org by our readers for you to take shelter in:

The Days to Come” by Medora C. Addison
Alone” by Maya Angelou
The 19th Amendment & My Mama” by Mahogany L. Browne
Hope is the thing with feathers (254)” by Emily Dickinson
Invictus” by William Ernest Henley
The Bronze Legacy” by Effie Lee Newsome
Gate A-4” by Naomi Shihab Nye
Patience” by Kay Ryan
Everyone Sang” by Siegfried Sassoon

Brown Love

    Brown love is getting the pat down but not the secondary screening
    and waiting after you clear to make sure the Sikh man or
    the Black woman or the hijabis behind you get through

    Brown love is asking the Punjabi guy working at the starbucks

    knockoff
    if all the tea sizes are still the same price

    and he says no,
    it hasn’t been like that for at least four years,
    but he slips you an extra tea bag without talking about it.

    Brown love is the unsmiling aunty
    at the disabled immigration line

    barking
    anything to declare? No? No? Have a good day.
    and your rice, semolina, kari karo seeds and jaggary all get through
    even though they are definitely from countries
    where there are insects that could eat america to the ground

    Brown love is texting your cousin on whatsapp asking
    if she’s ever had a hard time bringing weed tincture in her carry on

    brown love is a balm
    in this airport of life

    where, if we can scrape up enough money
    we all end up
    because we all came from somewhere
    and we want to go there
    or we can’t go to there but we want to go to the place we went after that
    where our mom still lives even though we fight
    or our chosen sis is still in her rent controlled perfect apartment
    where we get the luxury of things being like how we remember
    we want to go to the place we used to live
    and even if gentrification snatched the bakery
    with the 75 cent coffee where everyone hung out all night
    we can still walk the block where it was
    and remember

    and the thing about brown love is, nobody smiles.
    nobody is friendly. nobody winks. nobody can get away with that
    they’re all silently working their terrible 9 dollar an hour
    food service jobs where tip jars aren’t allowed
    or TSA sucks but it’s the job you can get out of the military
    and nobody can get away with being outwardly loving
    but we do what we can

    brown love is the woman who lets your 1 pound over the 50 pound limit bag go
    the angry woman who looks like your cousin
    who is so tired on the american airlines customer service line
    she tags your bag for checked luggage
    and doesn’t say anything about a credit card, she just yells Next!
    Brown love is your tired cousin who prays you all the way home
    from when you get on the subway to when you land and get on another.
    This is what we have
    we do what we can."

    Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha

    atacama-desert-covered-in-pink-flowers.jpg
    1924 illustration by Kay Nielsen for ‘The Steadfast Tin Soldier’ by Hans Christian Andersen.jpg
    03-frozen-in-time-feature Ice cave at the Vatnajokull Glacier in Iceland.Shane Wheel National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest..jpg
    Dolphins frolic.jpg
    Dolphins near Throggs Neck.jpg
    doubilet-Circling-Barracuda.adapt.1190.1.jpg
    doubilet-coral-reef.adapt.1900.1.jpg
    David Siqueiros, The End of the World, 1936.jpg
    A falcon carries its prey in its beak as it flies over Arvanitia beach in Nafplio, Peloponnese, Greece.jpg
    About 70 percent of the mangrove forests in Shenzhen have been cleared..jpg
    About a third of all land on earth has been claimed by desert—almost twenty million square miles—and the percentage is likely to increase with global warming..jpg
    Bryce Canyon NP.jpg
    An Atlantic Puffin holds a mouthful of sand eels on the island of Skomer, off the coast of Pembrokeshire, Wales.jpg
    mesa verde..jpg
    Mesa Verde.jpg
    entelognathus__1__in_the_silurian_seas_of_yunnan_by_gogosardina-d6nx55p.jpg
    EquinoxEarthElektroL800 From a geostationary orbit 36,000 kilometers above the equator.jpg
    Guardian #mother #guardian #muskox #greenland.jpg
    Giorgio de Chirico The Pink Tower, 1916.jpg
    one-sultry-snowbank.jpg
    1280px-LaTrincheraOrozcoSICDF.jpg
    23tb-oldesttree-bristlecone pine at Inyo National Fores.jpg
    04-tulips. Holland.jpg
    1976 - Commemoration of Mao's famous swim in the Yangzi river near Wuhan, June 1966. It is a demonstration of his strength, just before he unleashes the Cultural Revoluti..jpg
    10-white-rhinos.jpg
    “Cat Eating a Bird,” 1939, by Pablo Picasso.jpg
    “Cathedral of the Salamanders,” 2015..jpg