Six on Gaza/Jerusalem: Jerusalem: The not-so-eternal capital of the Jewish people; Why I March in Gaza; I was at the Gaza bor

1 view

philip panaritis

May 20, 2018, 5:11:04 PM5/20/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Gaza/Jerusalem: Jerusalem: The not-so-eternal capital of the Jewish people; Why I March in Gaza; I was at the Gaza border, we did all we could to avoid killing; Deir Yassin (1948) and the Israeli Border Fence with Gaza (2018); Netanyahu Provides Stunning New Evidence That Iranians Planned Sacking Of Babylon In 539 B.C.; The Half-Millennium When Rome excluded Jews from Jerusalem; Blaming the Victims of Israel’s Gaza Massacre;

Jerusalem: The not-so-eternal capital of the Jewish people

"Jews have been unquestionably connected with the city for millennia, yet it functioned as their capital only for short periods in history"

Why I March in Gaza

"There are multiple answers to Ali’s question. I fully believe in the march’s tactics of unarmed, direct, civilian-led mass action. I have also been inspired by how the action has unified the Palestinian people in the politically fractured Gaza Strip. And the march is an effective way to highlight the unbearable living conditions facing residents of the Gaza Strip: four hours of electricity a day, the indignity of having our economy and borders under siege, the fear of having our homes shelled.

But the core reason I am participating is that years from now, I want to be able to look Ali, Karam and Adam in the eye and tell them, “Your father was part of this historic, nonviolent struggle for our homeland.”  Western media’s coverage of the Great Return March has focused on the images of young people hurling stones and burning tires. The Israeli military portrays the action as a violent provocation by Hamas, a claim that many analysts have blindly accepted. Those depictions are in direct contradiction with my experiences on the ground.

Representatives of the General Union of Cultural Centers, the nongovernmental organization for which I serve as executive director, participated in planning meetings for the march, which included voices from all segments of Gaza’s civil and political society. At the border, I haven’t seen a single Hamas flag, or Fatah banner, or poster for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, for that matter — paraphernalia that have been widespread in virtually every other protest I have witnessed. Here, we have flown only one flag — the Palestinian flag.

True, Hamas members are participating, as they are part of the Palestinian community. But that participation signals, perhaps, that they may be shifting away from an insistence on liberating Palestine through military means and are beginning to embrace popular, unarmed civil protest. But the Great Return March is not Hamas’s action. It is all of ours."

Opinion | Why I March in Gaza

I believe that direct, nonviolent action can help bring justice and peace for Palestinians.

I was at the Gaza border, we did all we could to avoid killing

"In the biblical Exodus from Egypt, when the Egyptian army drowned in the Red Sea just before overtaking the Israelites, our sages say that God prevented the angels from singing and rejoicing, scolding them with the words “my creations are drowning in the sea and you are singing?!”

I write these words with great caution, and from a sense of mission. I can understand and identify with all of those good and moral Zionists who fear that the many Palestinian victims may be our fault, the result of mistakes made by our side. I’m writing because I am one of the few who was there, in uniform, in the reserves, but I was there. Yes, right there on the fence where the demonstrations are happening. It was last Friday, but I saw it with my own eyes; I was on our side of the fence but I could see and hear and understand everything. I want to testify from my firsthand knowledge, not a theoretical point of view. Because I was there.

I want to testify that what I saw and heard was a tremendous, supreme effort from our side to prevent, in every possible way, Palestinian deaths and injuries.

Of course, the primary mission was to prevent hundreds of thousands of Gazans from infiltrating into our territory. That kind of invasion would be perilous, mortally dangerous, to the nearby communities; would permit terrorists disguised as civilians to enter our kibbutz and moshav communities, and would leave us with no choice but to target every single infiltrator. That’s why our soldiers were directed to prevent infiltration, in a variety of ways, using live ammunition only as a last resort."

Family members carry the body of Layla Ghandour, 10 months, to her burial site in Gaza City.jpg
MilsteinMati_8Graffiti painted by Israeli soldiers marks a concrete barrier on the border between Israel and the Gaza Strip during the second war between them.jpg
MilsteinMati_7An Israeli settler on her cell phone in the southern Gaza Strip. An elderly Palestinian man rides past on a cart..jpg
MilsteinMati_5A Palestinian child cowers against a wall in the southern Gaza Strip as Israeli vehicles pass.jpg
MilsteinMat2005 Palestinian boys on the beach in the southern Gaza Strip..jpg
Fatalities from the March 30 violence on the Israel-Gaza border identified by Israel as members of terror groups. (Israel Defense Forces).jpg
An Israeli soldier keeps guard next to an entrance to what the Israeli military say is a cross-border attack tunnel dug from Gaza to Israel, on the Israeli side of the Gaza Strip border near Kissufim.jpg
180514-chaos-and-blood-gaza-05.jpg
DdKROVPW0AEscM8.jpg
DdKRNKoXUAAB8r6.jpg
fencePalestinian protesters stood in front of an Israeli tank during a protest in Khan Younis on April 3, 2018..jpg
A demonstrator rolls a tire to the front of the border protest in Bureij, near Deir al Balah in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday..jpg
Fatalities from the March 30 violence on the Israel-Gaza border identified by Israel as members of terror groups. (Israel Defense Forces).jpg
Israel says it has approved 2,500 West Bank settlement homes.jpg
After Israel seized East Jerusalem in 1967, its soldiers carried a confiscated portrait of King Hussein of Jordan.jpg
file-20180430-135844-1rgyf0q.jpg
la-fg-trump-israel-20170519.jpg
Businessman Sheldon Adelson arrives ahead of the inauguration of the US embassy in Jerusalem on May 14, 2018.jpg
Kushner hit out at the Palestinians who were protesting the official opening of the new US embassy in Jerusalem on Monday and called them 'part of the problem' - but his remarks were left off the official White House.jpg
A Palestinian boy pointing to a car vandalized and daubed with racist slogans by Israeli settlers in Beit Iksa, a West Bank village near Jerusalem, January 17, 2018.jpg
A Palestinian man decorates his shop with decoration lights near the entrance of the Al-Aqsa mosque compound, in the old city of Jerusalem on June 5, 2016..jpg
The Walls of Jerusalem by Lachlan Goudie.jpg
Home to 1.9 million people, Gaza is 41km (25 miles) long and 10km wide, an enclave bounded by the Mediterranean Sea, Israel and Egypt..png
Jerusalem - Map of Old City crop.jpg
General Sir Edmund Allenby (1st Viscount Allenby) in Jerusalem in a Vauxhall staff car.jpg
Beit Hanina, an Arab neighborhood in East Jerusalem. “You feel like you’re living in jail here,” one neighborhood resident said. “The people are so tense.”.jpg
Muslim world erupts in riots over Jerusalem row.jpg
The destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem.jpg
Joy in Jerusalem overshadowed by death in Gaza.jpg
A Palestinian woman on the Gaza side of the fence on a day of bloody protests at the buffer zone with Israel, May 14, 2018.jpg
Palestinian protesters flee from incoming teargas canisters during clashes with Israeli forces along the border with the Gaza Strip east of Gaza City on May 4, 2018.jpg
MilsteinMati_13April 6, 2018 An Israeli tank in position along the Gaza border during recent protests by Palestinian civilians against Israeli occupation.jpg
MilsteinMati_12Illumination shells fall as Israeli naval and artillery units pound the northern Gaza Strip in the final hours of the second war.jpg
MilsteinMati_9An Israeli tank sits atop a transport truck en route to the Gaza Strip during the second war.jpg