Six on "our" Economy: The Birth of Predatory Capitalism; The Autoworkers Strike Is Bigger Than G.M.; Amazon's Jeff Bezos Cuts Health Benefits for Part-Time Whole Foods Workers; I’ve Got Just the Thing; The Fall of the Meritocracy; Richard Wolff: "D

1 view

panaritisp

Sep 17, 2019, 5:23:02 PM9/17/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

 Six on "our" Economy: The Birth of Predatory Capitalism; The Autoworkers Strike Is Bigger Than G.M.; Amazon's Jeff Bezos Cuts Health Benefits for Part-Time Whole Foods Workers; I’ve Got Just the Thing; The Fall of the Meritocracy; Richard Wolff: "Democracy at Work: A Cure for Capitalism"

The Birth of Predatory Capitalism

"We’re used to thinking that offshoring “took” jobs in rich countries. But the truth is subtler — and more ruinous. They blew apart the idea of a job as we used to know it. As jobs went to countries without good governance, decent labour laws, a boomerang effect happened. The machine discovered that it could do in rich countries what it had done in poor ones — and so it began stripping away everything that made a job “a job.” Because the economy was increasingly composed of monopolies, giant companies, banks, and investors had the power to do so with impunity. Speculators began raiding pension funds. Managers began stripping away benefits of every kind, from childcare, to vacations, to healthcare. Until, at last, in a final triumph, the “at-will job” and the “zero-hours contract” were created — social contracts that were only “jobs” in name, but offered less than no stability, security, mobility, or opportunity. People who didn’t have benefits could now be fired on a whim — and so now they bore all the risk. But the risk of what, precisely?

Remember those speculators? Taking huge risks, betting billions with each other, on exactly nothing of real value? Risk had come full circle. Now it was the average person in the real economy who bore all the risks of these bets going bad. If the bets with south, who’d take the hit? All those people with zero benefits, no protection, no safety, all those people for whom “a job” now meant something more like “a temporary soul-crushing way to avoid destitution.” They’re the ones who’d be fired, instantly, lose what little savings they had, have their already dwindling incomes slashed, be ruined."

The Autoworkers Strike Is Bigger Than G.M.

How teachers, hotel workers and supermarket cashiers inspired 50,000 General Motors workers to go on strike.

Opinion | The Autoworkers Strike Is Bigger Than G.M.

Amazon's Jeff Bezos Cuts Health Benefits for Part-Time Whole Foods Workers

"Yet deteriorating labor conditions are not new for Bezos’ companies.

In March 2019, following public pressure, Amazon raised its minimum wage to US$15 an hour, a decision that was expected to improve the lives of workers by giving them livable wages. However, at Whole Foods, the benefits of that decision were counteracted with other tactics aimed at maintaining high levels of corporate profitability.

"My [working] hours went from 30 to 20 a week," a Whole Foods part-time employee told The Guardian back in March, which reported that full-time employees decreased their average weekly working term from 37.5 to 34.5 hours. Now, these workers will have their health benefits slashed as well.

In November of 2017, Amazon acquired Whole Foods for US$13.7 billion and took control of its 460 grocery stores in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom."

I’ve Got Just the Thing

Bill Gates speaks to the media about his chicken donation plan..jpeg
EDCreminHirs.DOC
Educ. and Eco. 1987.DOC
DOCNIBHR.DOC
Educ. and Class, 1936.DOC
plotting_inequalitiesthe ways economics and racism affect education, housing, and job opportunities..pdf
Demonstrators hold images of Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos during a protest over the company's facial recognition system at the Amazon headquarters in Seattle on October 31, 2018 surveillance.jpg
ceo-to-worker-compensation-rate-aaa4CEOs Make 312X Their Employees.jpg
CEO re-accommodation.jpg
CEO salaries just keep rising to outlandish levels
The Only Thing Up on Wall Street Is CEO Pay - Fortune.html
Amber waves of grain, huh trump econ.jpg
Is Capitalism Dying Ask A Millennial.jpg
Members of City Council Against Poverty visit the second-grade classroom of Martin Goldberg at P.S. 87 in the Ocean Hill-Brownsville School District in 1968.jpg
poverty_inequality_unRev. William Barber unveils Poor People's Campaign's list of demands at a rally in April..jpg
poverty.jpg_1752595435.jpg
An 1880 political cartoon from a New York paper depicting Standard Oil — one of the great monopolies of the 19th century — as a “horrible monster, whose tentacles spread poverty, disease and death..jpg
The rising rate of homelessness in places like San Diego is one of the signs of growing poverty in the United States.webp
furman2.jpgBetween 2006-2010 and 2011-2015, over 17% of neighborhoods saw a 10 percentage point increase in their poverty rate..jpg
the increase would be disproportionately larger among older people with lower income—particularly people between 50 and 64 years old with income of less than 200 percent of the federal poverty level..jpg
Jobs for everyone! full employment econ.jpg
Very special interests Econ.jpg
visit-dad-world-5-87c Econ.jpg
‘What we politely refer to as the ‘legacy’ of slavery is a political and economic system built on racial exploitation and the theft of black labor.’.jpg
Trump, Economic Genius.png
Lucy Stone, Eco. Inequality, 1855.DOC
Chas, Beard on Constit., 1913.doc