Six on Geography and Science: Here's How Your NY Fall Foliage Map Is Made; From seashore to beehive: 2018's best architectura

philip panaritis

Oct 10, 2018, 2:15:38 AM10/10/18
to Six on History

If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Geography and Science: Here's How Your NY Fall Foliage Map Is Made; From seashore to beehive: 2018's best architectural...

The Personality Brokers, the Myers-Briggs test

"Guernica: What does the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator say about human personality, and what do you think are its limitations?

Emre: The indicator is supposed to chronicle your preferences along four different dimensions, creating a composite image of the person as one of sixteen different types. It is also supposed to be a kind of chronicle of the differences among normal people (by which the creators meant people who don’t have any kind of emotional or psychological disturbance or illness). But it’s also supposed to be general enough that it can show you the continuity among different people. That seems to me to be its great selling point: it’s offering you both this fantasy of individuality and this fantasy of sociality. So you are both one in sixteen and one in a million, as I like to say.

What are the drawbacks? I think there are a number. I think, if you are someone who’s invested in these kinds of instruments being reliable or valid, it is neither reliable nor valid. That’s not particularly what I’m interested in. If you’re interested, more generally, in how these instruments have been wielded—which I am interested in—then the primary concern is that these types of systems are all used to sort of flatten human beings out, and that they are used by the largest institutions of capitalist modernity to try to colonize people’s psychological livelihood, to try to make your personality into something that is not only knowable, but also usable by corporations, by universities, by the military, by religious institutions, by online dating sites. And that, to me, seems to be the biggest, darkest side of what personality testing imagines it can do."

Photos From the Deadly Earthquake and Tsunami in Indonesia
- in case anyone was wondering what history, geography and science had to do with one another!

An emperor moth caterpillar being harassed by a wood ant.jpg
Lava tumbles and flows into the ocean near Pahoa on May 20, 2018..jpg
Lava_Burst.gif
Law enforcement stand in the distance as fire and thick smoke from burning tires billows in the air in Morton County, N.D.. A Dakota Access Pipeline protester started the fire at a protest roadblock at the Front Line Camp.jpg
Fish food … a third century pharaoh head on the ocean floor at Thonis-Heracleion..jpg
fish market at Nagor harbour in Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu, India. The bay can provide only a meagre living 61 percent of fisherfolk live below the poverty line.jpg
Fisherman at the Sea of Galilee by Lachlan Goudie.jpg
fisherman walks on a beach blanketed with dead sardines in Temuco, Chile. Ocean dead zones have quadrupled since 1950, say scientists.jpg
Fish-Tree-of-Knowledge-17Sep2017-850x765.jpgThe Silencing of Dissent.jpg
Nobody-made-a-greater.jpg
scene from ‘The Web Planet,’ from the sci-fi tv series Doctor Who, in which the Doctor and his crew travel in their time machine to the planet Vortis, home of the butterfly-like Menoptera (center), the ant-like Zarbi (rig.jpg
paradise_lost climate change.pdf
Human-history-becomes.jpg
Human-Nature-is-the-only.jpg
Human-progress-is.jpg
bowling-ball-pyramid-1,785 Bowling Ball Pyramid.jpg
Lava flows into the ocean at sunset, kamokuna, Kalapana, hawaii.jpg
Lava flows toward the ocean from fissures near Pahoa, Hawaii, on May 19, 2018..jpg