Six on WWII: August 1942. Women in industry; WWII Vet Portrayed In ‘Band Of Brothers’ Dies At 96

jelfrank

Oct 15, 2017, 9:43:09 PM10/15/17
to Six on History

August 1942. Women in industry, Office of War Information
August 1942. "Women in industry. A million-dollar baby, not in terms of money but in her value to Uncle Sam, 21-year-old Eunice Hancock, erstwhile five-and-ten-cent store employee, operates a compressed-air grinder in a Midwest aircraft plant. With no previous experience, Eunice (last seen here) quickly mastered the techniques of her war job and today is turning out motor parts with speed and skill." Photo by Ann Rosener, Office of War Information.

1942, Michael and his brothers and sisters are as American as the Smiths and Joneses.
June 1942. Chicago, Illinois. "Manpower. Americans all. His war job with Pressed Steel Can Car Company gives Michael Kassalo an extra good appetite. Operating a vertical turret lathe in a Midwest tank plant, Michael is one of many hundreds of first- and second-generation Americans whose sole purpose during working hours is to get as many tanks as possible off the lines and ready for shipment to the fighting fronts. Michael's grandparents, with whom he lives, cling to the Slavic language and to many 'Old Country' customs, but Michael and his brothers and sisters are as American as the Smiths and Joneses." Photo by Ann Rosener for the Office of War Information.

If Donald Trump is going to use WW2 to justify his UN speech, it would be good if he got his facts right
"But the reference to the “deserts of the Middle East” went way beyond reality. US Middle East policy after the Second World War was based on oil resources – and the propping up of dictators and kings who would ensure the flow of oil in the future – and total and uncritical support for Israel, whose occupation and theft of Palestinian land in the West Bank would have produced a froth of economic sanctions from the Trumps of this world had it been any other country."

"And there’s one more thing we might mention in this load of old Trumpery: that when Hitler marched into Poland and Denmark and Norway and Holland and Belgium and Luxembourg and then France and threatened to invade Britain, the United States enjoyed a very profitable period of neutrality – as it had done for most of the First World War – until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour in December 1941, more than two years after the start of the Second World War. It was, we might remember, Hitler who then declared war on the United States, not the other way round. And French “patriotism” and “free France”, which Trump also mentioned, took something of a back seat during the four-year disgrace of the Vichy collaboration.

As for the Brits, strong we were, though it would have been good to have US troops fighting for us on the beaches of Dunkirk in 1940 as well as on the beaches of Normandy four years later. Pity they couldn’t make it.

And – hem, hem – I do recall another man who used the “Free French” resistance parallel from World War Two. He was trying to prove that Muslims had the right to resist the United States. He said it to me. In Afghanistan. His name was Osama bin Laden. But there you go. I guess Trump’s World War Two efforts get about two out of ten. Not bad for a guy who’s crackers."

Three Texans were aboard a B-29 that crashed in China in 1944, Lt. Garl Bud Ray, who was the plane's co-pilot; Lt. Charles Gray, the flight observer; and Sgt. Virgil Bailey, a gunner..jpg
United-States-Army-trucks-001.jpg
We-must-be-prepared-to.jpg
Yoo hoo, Adolf! Lookee! I'm attacking 'em too!, July 1, 1941.jpg