Six on Politics: Even As Voter Registration Soars, Voter Suppression Lives On; Republican mailer depicts a Jewish candidate g

philip panaritis

Oct 31, 2018, 9:10:33 PM10/31/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Politics: Even As Voter Registration Soars, Voter Suppression Lives On; Republican mailer depicts a Jewish candidate gripping cash and grinning; Bernie Sanders Says GOP Effort to Strip Healthcare From 32 Million Should Be Highlighted 'Every Hour of Every Day'; Trump won the Rust Belt with macho. These women hope to win with change.; How Thirsty and Stupid Do Stacey Abrams, Lucy McBath, and Most Progressive Democrat Congressional Candidates Think We Are?; How To Understand Mass Protests, From MLK to the Women’s March

With Midterms in One Week, Bernie Sanders Says GOP Effort to Strip Healthcare From 32 Million Should Be Highlighted 'Every Hour of Every Day'

Trump won the Rust Belt with macho. These women hope to win with change.

How Thirsty and Stupid Do Stacey Abrams, Lucy McBath, and Most Progressive Democrat Congressional Candidates Think We Are? | Black Agenda Report

"And then there’s Stacey Abrams. Stacey is a tax attorney, Spelman and Yale Law grad from Gulfport MS. She was first state rep from an Atlanta district in 2006. In American legislatures, party caucus leaders are chosen by the amount they bring into party coffers in donations from PACs, corporations and wealthy individuals and their expertise in doling it out to other lawmakers. By 2011 Stacey Abrams was chosen Democratic leader in the GA House, a post which she held until beginning her run for governor in 2017. She’s written several romance novels on the side too.

Stacey Abrams wants to be president, and Georgia governor is one of the checkmarks on the way there, and election to governor will immediately put her on the short list of contenders. She lays that out quite clearly in her latest book Minority Leader How to Lead From the Outside and Make Real Change. It’s a memoir-centered self-help book, an I-did-it-you-can-do-it-too kind of thing with checklists at the end of every chapter. The “it” she talks about in the book is achieving power, but for all her deep understanding of how to maneuver to obtain this power Stacey offers very few if any clues about what great things she wants to do with that power.

We’ve seen that movie before though haven’t we? Didn’t we just finish eight years of an unaccountable black president presiding over the greatest loss of black family wealth since we started keeping statistics on it? Didn’t we just see three million American families lose their homes? Didn’t we hear Eric Holder, the first black attorney general tell us the banks to were too big to jail and too important to investigate, and didn’t we see Loretta Lynch the second black attorney general literally write the fine print on get out of jail free cards for CitiGroup and other criminal investors who walked away with billions. We’ve lived to see a black president break his word on raising the minimum wage and delivering single payer health care? The first black president blockaded and bombed all the countries the white presidents before him were blockaded and bombed and added a few new ones, including the actual overthrow of a prosperous African country, where black Libyans and other Africans are being traded as slaves right now. Didn’t we see the first black president expand fracking around the world, privatize big chunks of public education, and let all the torturers and kidnappers on the US payroll off the hook?"

Republican mailer depicts a Jewish candidate gripping cash and grinning. The GOP defended it.

 How To Understand Mass Protests, From MLK to the Women’s March

"One of the most striking things in your book is the way you juxtapose the 1963 March on Washington and the 2017 Women’s March. These two historic protests could not have been organized more differently. At the same time, they reflect a larger transition that’s been underway on the left for decades in terms of moving from a top-down, male-oriented leadership to more decentralized, female-led movements.

Absolutely. The way in which the 2017 women’s marches came together was very decentralized, very viral, very bottom up. There were quite a few seasoned organizers who stepped up and took on a lot of the nuts-and-bolts work of putting those mobilizations together. However, the process of mobilizing, of getting the people there, so much of that was work that women and some men, not waiting for permission, not waiting for direction, but just making it happen themselves. And that impulse really carried over into the way the larger resistance to Trump came together in the period after his inauguration in thousands of small, decentralized women-led groups all around the country who are now very busy at work to affect the outcome of the midterm elections.

So what do protests accomplish if they don’t achieve their immediate objectives?

The work of protests unfolds over many years and a lot of times you have to lose repeatedly before you can win. The way that you create change over the long term involves expanding the political possibilities of the moment by empowering others to take action with building and sustaining movements and movement organizations that can do organizing work.

Often people will look at a protest and consider it just as a short-term pressure tactic, which some kinds of protests are meant to be. However, mass mobilizations, be they the ’63 March on Washington or the women’s marches, don’t really work that way. They do much more to help people feel part of something bigger than themselves than they do to concretely achieve change in the short run. The work of change usually happens through multiple tactics and multiple means, not just through marching. But marching matters because it’s part of how we get a sense of collective power. For many people, large protests are the on-ramp to other forms of activism."

BoyerJ20171105_low.jpg
Edward Bender yells in front of the Masjid Jamaat Al-Mumineen Mosque as he and others attempt to have the mosque closed..jpg
caravan of migrants.jpg
Ted Rall The Great Immigration Debate.jpg
Central American migrants walking on the outskirts of Huixtla, Mexico. “I never expected this to get so big,” an organizer said..jpg
Elbridge Gerry, circa 1800, as governor of Massachusettshe became known for manipulating voting districts,a process now called “gerrymandering”.jpg
Maribeth Whitehouse's Voting Rights Lesson.doc
Stepping into Selma_ Voting Rights History and Legacy Today _ Teaching for Change.html
Always listening Trump.jpg
President Donald Trump blends all too nicely with Italy's fascist dictator Benito Mussiloni..png
Trump Prepares His Legal Defense -- Just in Case.png
20170622_Secret_Plot.jpg
—Rudy Giuliani “defending” Trump on Fox. Are we sure this guy passed the Bar.jpg
Crazy Rudy G Defends Donnie Trump.png
20170210_Fighting_Terrorists.jpg
The GOP campaign to keep control of Congress seems to rely entirely on spooking conservative white Americans..jpg
GOP.jpg
And now the GOP will apply their health care skills to our democratic lifeblood.jpg
The GOP is suffering from a debilitating pre-existing condition.jpg
FFR_Callout-Elizabeth-Warren-GOP-Quote_20171214.png
The crowd at a get-out-the-vote rally during a speech by Michelle Obama, Miami, Florida, September 2018.jpg