Six on Apollo 11: All the Reasons Why We Don't Have Cities on the Moon (Yet); LI Workers behind Apollo 11 lunar module honored; These 6 Accidents Nearly Derailed Apollo 11's Mission to the Moon; It was time, Kennedy said, “for this nation to take a c

panaritisp

Jul 19, 2019, 10:48:40 PM7/19/19
to Six on History
 If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Apollo 11: All the Reasons Why We Don't Have Cities on the Moon (Yet); LI Workers behind Apollo 11 lunar module honored; These 6 Accidents Nearly Derailed Apollo 11's Mission to the Moon; It was time, Kennedy said, “for this nation to take a clearly leading role in space achievement”; Can the New Space Race Really Make America Great Again?; A Space Odyssey – Part 3: The Lunar Surface moon

These 6 Accidents Nearly Derailed Apollo 11's Mission to the Moon

It was time, Kennedy said, “for this nation to take a clearly leading role in space achievement”

'To achieve our aims will take a miracle'

The first landing on the moon took place 50 years ago this weekend, but the challenge that led to the lunar mission was issued eight years earlier by President John F. Kennedy, in a speech to Congress in 1961.

It was time, Kennedy said, “for this nation to take a clearly leading role in space achievement” and beat the Russians to the moon.

Newsday’s editorial board “heartily” agreed. Writing on May 26, 1961, the board joined with JFK in stating the importance of fighting “the Communist threat in the areas of space, foreign aid, disarmament, defense and Latin America.”

Kennedy’s request for $531 million to begin the effort to put a man on the moon by the end of the decade was one of “a series of desirable and acceptable goals,” the board wrote. “We hope Congress and the people will consider his requests carefully — and approve most of them. To do otherwise would be to gamble with the future of the free world.”

Sixteen months later, as JFK traveled around the country drumming up support for the moon mission, the board, always full-throated about the dangers of the Cold War and the Communist threat, cautioned that it would take more than rhetoric to get us there first, invoking the urgency that spurred the Manhattan Project that produced nuclear weapons during World War II.

“It will take a far greater amount of the national income than has so far been invested; it will take prodigies of accomplishment to overcome the immense lead the Russians appear to have,” the board wrote on Sept. 13, 1962. “To achieve our aims will take a miracle.”

It also would require contributions from every American, the board wrote.

“The national will must support the President if we are to be the first on the moon and the first in space,” the board wrote. “This means a degree of sacrifice many of us are unwilling to face. It means higher taxes, no cutback in working hours, a willingness to forego new roads and other public works to which we have become accustomed. It means an end to fat living and fat thinking. Do we have the courage to face up to that challenge?”

Less than seven years later, we had the answer.

- Michael Dobie @mwdobie

Picture _ Mind-blowing images of space from the Cassini orbiter -softly hued Saturn embraced by the shadows of its stately rings..html
ngm-1907-main-moon-map_ai2html-desktop-medium.jpg
Made in Bethpage How Grumman got the contract for the lunar module Apollo 11.jpg
threeastronautsArt from The Three Astronauts, Umberto Eco’s vintage semiotic children’s book about the role of space exploration in world peace.jpg
on June 22, Raikoke spewed forth a blast of ash and volcanic glass so powerful it could be seen from space. And fortunately, astronauts on board the International Space Station were there to capture the moment.png
Extras playing corpses on the set of Spartacus assigned with numbers so that Stanley Kubrick could address them individually and give them instructions..jpg
A still showing Slim Pickens from Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 1964.jpg
A NASA rendering of a long-term lunar base with rover from 1986 moon.jpg
Zilia Sánchez, Lunar (Moon), 1985.jpg
Zilia Sánchez, Lunar con tatuaje (Moon with Tattoo), c. 1968-96. Acrylic on stretched canvas..jpg
Zilia Sánchez, Lunar negro con tatuaje (Black Moon with Tattoo), 1975. (Colby College Museum of Art).jpg
LIFE magazine cover, August 11, 1969. (American astronauts on the moon.).jpg
crescent-moon-over-the-needles-“The 7% waxing crescent Moon setting in the evening sky over the Needles Lighthouse at the western tip of the Isle of Wight.jpg
iss-daylight-transit A perfectly-timed photo of the space station and the moon puts human achievements in perspective.jpg
A nearly full moon rises over the Temple of Poseidon, the ancient Greek god of the seas, in Cape Sounion, east of Athens, Greece,.jpg