Six on WW I: The Great War’s Unfinished Agenda; WWI battles that levelled East Africa; The two great battles of the Greek arm

1 view

philip panaritis

Nov 12, 2018, 7:44:24 PM11/12/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on WW I: The Great War’s Unfinished Agenda; WWI battles that levelled East Africa; The two great battles of the Greek army; We Are Heading for Another Tragedy Like World War I; This Is What the Sound of WWI's Ceasefire 'Looked' Like; "On Receiving the First News of the War" by Isaac Rosenberg

The Great War’s Unfinished Agenda

"Isolationism, and its associated retreat from the moral dividends of victory after World War I led to the far worse, historical catastrophe of World War II. Following World War I, the United States did not stand with its European partners to resist Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany. To add insult to injury, in one of the greater moral failings in modern history, the US refused to admit but a trickle of legitimate refugees from political terror into our safe embrace.

And yet, we walk the same path now, knowing full well the darkness into which tolerating or abetting anti-democratic authoritarianism leads the world. Multilateralism, through the promotion of democracy, free trade, freedom of religion and speech with the United States and our democratic European, Asian, ANZAC and African allies firmly in the lead politically and morally, can and does create a stable base for a peaceful and progressive world.

The 1920 Treaty of Versailles forced the complete assumption of guilt upon the newly created and ill-fated German Republic, a dodgy assignation that led to the rise of Nazi Germany. This powder keg reignited quickly and powerfully in Europe, but the errors have also fostered slower burning fires that continue to flare up even 100 years later. Other World War I-era agreements, treaties, and mandates have led to ongoing ethnic, religious, and political tensions due to unilateral and haphazard border drawing. Turks and Kurds still struggle with the unbalanced outcomes of the 1920 Treaty of Sevrès and 1923 Treat of Lausanne; Israelis and Palestinians with the 1917 Balfour Declaration; the Syrians with 1920 Mandate for Syria and Lebanon. Even if it takes another 100 years, the world community needs to continue to talk to resolve these and other unsatisfying legacies of World War I and seek mutually just compromises.

On Nov. 11, 2018, the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day, we owe it to those who fought to ask ourselves if the lasting legacy is already written, or one we should still be looking to improve. For many places in the world, the fighting continues to this day and a true Armistice is nowhere in sight. Can we now task ourselves to achieve it and provide the ultimate compliment to those who fell?"

Untold history: The WWI battles that levelled East Africa

We Are Heading for Another Tragedy Like World War I

"Amid all the usual patriotic cant from politicians, imperialists and churchmen about the glories of this slaughter, remember that World War I was a contrived conflict that was totally avoidable. Contrary to the war propaganda that still clouds and corrupts our historical view, World War I was not started by Imperial Germany.

Professor Christopher Clark in his brilliant book, `The Sleepwalkers’ shows how officials and politicians in Britain and France conspired to transform Serbia’s murder of Austro-Hungary’s Crown Prince into a continent-wide conflict. France burned for revenge for its defeat in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War and loss of Alsace-Lorraine. Britain feared German commercial and naval competition. At the time, the British Empire controlled one quarter of the world’s surface. Italy longed to conquer Austria-Hungary’s South Tyrol. Turkey feared Russia’s desire for the Straits. Austria-Hungary feared Russian expansion.

Prof Clark clearly shows how the French and British maneuvered poorly-led Germany into the war. The Germans were petrified of being crushed between two hostile powers, France and Russia. The longer the Germans waited, the more the military odds turned against them. Tragically, Germany was then Europe’s leader in social justice.

Britain kept stirring the pot, determined to defeat commercial and colonial rival, Germany. The rush to war became a gigantic clockwork that no one could stop. All sides believed a war would be short and decisive. Crowds of fools chanted ‘On to Berlin’ or ‘On to Paris.’

Few at the time understood the impending horrors of modern war or the geopolitical demons one would release. The 1904 Russo-Japanese War offered a sharp foretaste of the 1914 conflict, but Europe’s grandees paid scant attention.

Even fewer grasped how the collapse of the antiquated Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires would send Europe and the Mideast into dangerous turmoil that persists to our day."

"On Receiving the First News of the War" by Isaac Rosenberg: Commemorating WWI

View this email on a browserForward to a friend
facebook-icon                                   tumblr-icon   twitter-icon
November 11, 2018

On Receiving the First News of the War

Isaac Rosenberg
Snow is a strange white word;
No ice or frost
Has asked of bud or bird
For Winter’s cost.
Yet ice and frost and snow From earth to sky This Summer land doth know; No man knows why.
In all men’s hearts it is: Some spirit old Hath turned with malign kiss Our lives to mould.
Red fangs have torn His face, God’s blood is shed: He mourns from His lone place His children dead.
O ancient crimson curse! Corrode, consume; Give back this universe Its pristine bloom.

Facebook Like Button  Tweet Button

This poem is in the public domain.

About This Poem

“On Receiving the First News of the War” was published in Poems by Isaac Rosenberg (William Heinemann, 1922).

Isaac Rosenberg

Isaac Rosenberg was born on November 25, 1890, in Bristol, England. He is considered one of England’s foremost “trench poets” and the author of two privately published folios, Youth (1915) and Night and Day (1912), and a poetry collection, Poems by Isaac Rosenberg (William Heinemann, 1922), published posthumously. He was killed in battle on April 1, 1918.

more-at-poets

World War I Poetry

Today, November 11, 2018, marks 100 years since the end of World War I, a global war that resulted in the death of more than 16 million soldiers and civilians. Read about the poets and poetry of World War I, and learn more from essays, lesson plans, ephemera, and other resources.

more-at-poets

"Dulce et Decorum Est" by Wilfred Owen

read-more

"The Soldier" by Rupert Brooke

read-more

"In Flanders Fields" by John McCrae

read-more

A burial ceremony in Sommerviller, France, in 1917, honoring an American soldier killed in the First World War..jpg
A private museum of World War I and World War II artifacts in Tukhlia, Ukraine, is dedicated to the heroes of Makivka— a mountain in what is now western Ukraine that was the site of a battle with Russian forces.jpg
Members of the first contingent of New Yorkers drafted into the United States Army line up in front of their barracks at Camp Upton in Yaphank as America enters World War I in 1917..jpg
A 1921 political cartoon portrays America’s new immigration quotas, influenced by popular anti-immigrant and nativist sentiment stemming from World War I conflict..png
World War I poster, c. 1914..jpg
Up to 1.5 million of its people were killed during the First World War.jpg
World War I Poster “Treat’em Rough! Join The Tanks, United States Tank Corps,” c. 1918.jpg
British_Empire_Union_WWI_poster.jpgBritish Anti-German poster, circa 1919, calling for boycott of German goods and depicting German businesspeople selling their products in Britain as the other face of German soldiers.jpg
American troops march through Place de Jena and down Avenue du President Wilson in Paris on July 4, 1918.jpg
Claggett Wilson, Rosalie, Rosalie! Rosalie Is the Nickname for the French Bayonet, circa 1919.jpg
American troops cheer on Nov. 11, 1918, after hearing the news that the Armistice had been signed, ending World War I..jpg
Cartoonist Clifford Berryman created this solemn image of Uncle Sam standing amid a pile of wreaths, his hat in hand in remembrance and respect for all of the brave men who died during World War I. 11-9-1921.jpg
A woman munitions worker operating a machine in an armaments factory, Britain, circa 1915.jpg
French troops under shellfire during the Battle of Verdun, 1916.jpg
Russian infantry marching to battle, Poland, August 1914.jpg
Boys wearing bags of camphor around their necks to ward off influenza, 1917.jpg
Leon Trotsky with the Soviet delegation to negotiate a peace treaty with Germany, Brest-Litovsk, 1918.jpg
Mourners attending the burial of the World War II veteran George Dorsey and his sister, Dorothy Malcom..jpg