Six on Cuba: Cuba Trip for Educators; The two sides of Cuba’s Guantanamo; In Cuba, condom use stretches far beyond sex;... I

1 view

philip panaritis

Oct 9, 2018, 1:44:35 PM10/9/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Cuba: Cuba Trip for Educators; The two sides of Cuba’s Guantanamo; In Cuba, condom use stretches far beyond sex;...

In Cuba, condom use stretches far beyond sex | Article [AMP] | Reuters

Neurologists Debunk US Report on Cuban 'Sonic Attack' Theory | News | teleSUR English

An ABC Journalist’s Secret Liaison With Fidel Castro

‘My Dearest Fidel’: An ABC Journalist’s Secret Liaison With Fidel Castro

October 27, 2012
Mikoyan's "Mission Impossible" in Cuba: New Soviet Evidence on the Cuban Missile Crisis

October 24, 2012
The Underwater Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Submarines and the Risk of Nuclear War

October 19, 2012
Cuban Missile Crisis Day by Day: From the Pentagon's "Sensitive Records"
Secret Notes by Deputy Secretary Roswell Gilpatric Show Early Interest in Trade of U.S. Jupiter Missiles for Soviet Missile in Cuba, Even a Status Change for Guantanamo, as Basis of a Settlement, Presaging Elements of the Secret Deal that Helped End the Crisis.

October 16, 2012
Pentagon Estimated 18,500 U.S. Casualties in Cuba Invasion 1962, But If Nukes Launched, "Heavy Losses" Expected
Gen. Taylor Proposed Major Retaliation if Cubans "Foolhardy" Enough to Try to Repel U.S. Invasion with Nuclear Weapons.

October 12, 2012
Cuban Missile Crisis Revelations: Kennedy's Secret Approach to Castro
Declassified RFK documents yield new information on back-channel to Fidel Castro to avoid nuclear war

.

October 10, 2012
The Soviet Cuban Missile Crisis: Castro, Mikoyan, Kennedy, Khrushchev, and the Missiles of November
Mikoyan Archive Reveals Cuba a Near-Nuclear Power. New Book Shows Crisis Unresolved Until November 22, 1962.

New York Educators trip to Cuba 2019

[Mickey and Cynthia are smart, experienced and extremely professional, Phil]

Dear All,
We hope that you all have a successful start to the new school year. The Cuba trip 2019 is half way full and have not received the processing fee and airfare from those who have expressed a desire to be on the trip. The only democratic way to get on the trip is first come first served...I think we can all agree on that. We know have a deadline for the processing fee and airfare of October 26, 2018. The November 2nd deadline has been moved to November 16th 2019. See details below...if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at mgl...@aol.com...and please feel free to circulate to colleagues.....Mickey
Dear Prospective Travelers,
We are very happy to announce the details of our annual journey to Cuba!  As we have always done in the past, our goal is to make your trip memorable as well as affordable. The dates for next year’s trip are Saturday, April 20 through April 27, 2019.

Below you will find information to help guide your decision to participate. Since this is an Education Research Trip, we will incorporate visits to schools and meetings with members of the Ministry of Education and ICAP, Instituto Cubano de Amistad con los Pueblos (the Cuban Institute for Friendship with the People) is the largest international solidarity NGO in Cuba.

The New York Educators trip to Cuba 2019 will be the last trip that we will organize. We are passing the baton on to the next generation to ensure the sustainability of solidarity with Cuba through yearly trips with educators.

We cancelled the 2018 trip because of hurricane Maria and the devastation in Puerto Rico when many of us had to redirect our resources to family and friends on the Island. If you are receiving this email either you were on the 2017 trip, or have expressed an interest in participating in a trip to Cuba. There is limited space available given the fact that the 2018 trip was half booked by Sept. 20 when Maria slammed into Puerto Rico.

Departing from Newark International
(High season blackout)
April  20, 2019 flight #1502 - Newark to Havana Cuba   10:25 AM... arrives Havana at 1:50 PM
April 27, 2019 flight #1503 - Havana to Newark                2:50 PM.....arrives Newark at 6:15 PM
Baggage information"  1st luggage $25.00, 2nd luggage $40.00

Air and Visa: $750.00 (health insurance not included $30-$40.00)

Land Package:       (Collected in Cuba)

Double Rooms:      $1,305.00 USD per person
Single Room:         $1,445.00 USD per person

Accommodations: (7 nights/8 days) at Copacabana (available online), all- inclusive, all meals and ground transportation on an air-conditioned bus (including pick-up and drop off at the airport); bilingual (English/Spanish) translator for all tours and excursions; gratuities for drivers, guides and translators.

There is a $300.00 processing fee (non-refundable)If you have been doing the math, here are the totals:

Double Occupancy: $2,355.00 per person
Single Occupancy:  $2,495.00 per person

Not included: There is a 25.00 CUC (Cuba’s Currency for tourists) airport exit tax. Sometimes it is collected in NY, sometimes in Cuba; baggage check-in; overweight baggage; personal expenses; admission to other attractions not mentioned on the itinerary, extra meals not mentioned on the itinerary; chamber maid gratuities; server gratuities; waiters and porter gratuities; your own parties...etc

 Next Steps:
1.   Confirm your reservation ASAP by sending the processing fee, airfare and an email address, a total of $1,050.00. Make the check out to Miguel Melendez, 555 North Avenue, Apt. 11-V, Fort Lee, N.J. 07024. This must be done ASAP to confirm your reservation. If reserving double occupancy, provide the name and email address of your roommate.

      2. Prepare your notarized affidavit (attached) and photo copy your passport (only your photo page) with pertinent information). Each passenger must have a complete, notarized affidavit and unexpired passport.  The name on the passport and on the notarized affidavit must match exactly.

This is due on Friday November 2nd 2018.

Orientation (TBD):  If you have never traveled with us, your attendance at the orientation is mandatory.

Fell free to circulate this information to your colleagues

Very Important!
Moving forward, you must check your emails frequently announcing updates to our "Cuba Trip 2019".  Most will be time sensitive.
A trip to Cuba is a very special event. Please help us make your experience positive and memorable.

Mickey Melendez / Cynthia Rodriguez

Comments from NYC Educators Delegation Trip 2017.

“Let me just say that I am not happy to be back. There I said it! Cuba was absolutely amazing; I haven't been able to stop thinking about our time there, its streets, music, and culture." NYCDOE first year teacher.

“I will forever feel joy in my spirit as I remember the many experiences lived in Cuba.
It was so untouchable to feel guajiro son and rumba. To dance in the streets of Habana was
a dream come true.  My soul rejoices and is humbled as I see how "mal criado" we can be.
I loved the love given to me by all I met.”  NYCDOE Teacher

“I have a whole new outlook on Cuba and fell in love with it, the people, and its rich history the moment I got there! What a beautiful country!”  NYCDOE PE Teacher

“It was a pleasure and an honor to be a member of this educational research trip to Cuba. It’s going to take some time to process all that we experienced firsthand, up close and personal. We have acquired a great respect for the people of Cuba. Their vigilance and tenacity to survive without the resources that most of us take for granted each and every day is quite astonishing!”  Former NYCDOE Principal and Educational Consultant with his wife Retired RN Montefiore Hospital/ Albert Einstein Medical Center.

“My Cuban experience was extraordinary, amazing and so impressionable that it will live
in my heart and soul forever!  Every picture I took has a story to tell.  An anecdotal very unique
in its' time and place.  The people of Cuba as well as its culture and history touched me.
I will go back as I have more to see and feel.  I have to dance again to the rhythms that move
my spirit and give me joy! Joy of heart!!!! Que Viva Cuba!!!” Retired NYCDOE teacher

“My experience in Cuba was unique in comparison to my other travels abroad. Cuba can only be described in one word based on this trips experience…”Magic”. Its a progressive place preserved with some of the world’s most precious gifts. It thrives on a culture that transcends generational gaps. This experience showed me that it is our responsibility to see the full scope of history and not just through the lens of an American but through the lens of a human being. It is difficult to explain every piece of this trip with words because it can only be experienced. The literacy museum and special needs school were both very inspiring places.” NYCDOE Guidance Counselor

“This was by far the most significant vacation I have ever taken. It’s educational, cultural and political components made the experience so valuable for me. Since getting back to work I’ve been mostly talking about this trip. (My colleagues say I’ve been bragging.)… “
I was impressed by the humbleness of the Cubans who have not been raised under a materialistic consumerist culture.  I noticed the pride of the director of the Literacy Museum, Dr. Luisa Campos, displayed when talking about the educational accomplishments of the revolution. An experience that I know would never happen back in the US was obvious on the first day of the trip. The hotel allowed us to check in and spend the night without paying up-front and let us pay the next day.”  NYPD Captain

Richard Nixon, as an eagle, ripping the heart out of Laos. Cuban propaganda poster by Rene Mederos, 1971..jpg
View of the city from the cocktail lounge atop the Havana Hilton. The hotel was advertised as Latin America’s tallest.jpg
86-car-phonePromotional photo for early in-car telephone not far from the Hotel Nacional. El Vedado, Havana, 1950.jpg
View up a bustling Obispo Street filled with fotingos, the colloquial word for the cars of this era. Havana, 1928.jpg
Cuban Soldiers and Sailors conveying the caskets of the Maine dead to the dock in Havana, Cuba, March 16, 1912.jpg
A cargo-hauling mule with pompom-like saddle adornments, framed by a Colonial doorway. Havana, 1900.jpg
Oxen-pulled delivery cart stationed on Avenue Carlos III. Ayestarán, Havana, 1900..jpg
Cuban children play at a park in Havana, Cuba..png
24ISLANDS-DYPTICH-master768.jpgThe Malecón seawall in Havana in 2015, with El Morro fortress in the background. RIGHT The same area on Sept. 10, flooded by Hurricane Irma. Puerto Rico.jpg
lockwood-fidel-crowds.jpgFidel Castro during “The Year of the Heroic Guerrilla,” dedicated to the memory of Che Guevara, Revolution Square, Havana, 1967.jpg
lockwood-barbudos.jpgSeven years after the start of the revolution, rebel army leader Camilo Cienfuegos, center, and his fellow “barbudos” approaching Havana, 1959.jpg
CheLaCoubreMarch Castro and Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara march in a memorial for those killed in the explosion in March, 1960 in Havana Cuba..jpg
Paseo del Prado, Havana, 1900.jpg
Tourists on Wednesday along Obispo Boulevard, a street in central Havana known for restaurants, live music, bars and souvenir shops.jpg
USS Savannah Havana shakedown cruise.jpg
Fidel A. Castro on a municipal bus (Route 28, Buenavista) drinking a Coca-Cola surrounded by an excited, curious crowd.jpg
The 6th-grade class at the Jesuit-run Dolores School, with Fidel Castro Ruz standing to the left in the botto.jpg
castro-cuba-trade.jpgA portrait of the late Cuban leader Fidel Castro at a grocery store, Santiago de Cuba, June 20, 2017.jpg
new-york-daily-news-front-page-cuban-missile-crisis-1962.jpg
Castro and the US Teacher Materials_0 (5).pdf
photographs-che.jpgThe Bolivian government poses with the corpse of revolutionary Che Guevara, 1967.jpg
Aymara men hold images of Ernesto Che Guevara as they attend a ceremony in Vallegrande, Santa Cruz, Bolivia, on Oct. 9 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Guevara's death..jpg
Images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro and revolutionary hero Ernesto Che Guevara are seen during a ceremony commemorating the 50th anniversary of the death of Che Guevara.jpg
lockwood-fidel-crowds.jpgFidel Castro during “The Year of the Heroic Guerrilla,” dedicated to the memory of Che Guevara, Revolution Square, Havana, 1967.jpg
Che Predicts _Two, Three, Many Vietnams_ · HERB_ Resources for Teachers.html