Women's History is Every Month: National Women’s History Month lessons and resources; Rachel Carson’s Brave and Prescient 195

philip panaritis

Feb 28, 2018, 11:58:20 PM2/28/18
to Six on History
PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Women's History is Every Month: National Women’s History Month lessons and resources; Rachel Carson’s Brave and Prescient 1953 Letter; The Cost of Sexual Harassment; CPAC speaker calls conservatives "hypocrites"; Oriflamme; ‘A Woman’s Ability to Pay Her Bills Should Not Be Dependent on the Whims of Customers’

National Women’s History Month lessons and resources

Oriflamme Jessie Redmon Fauset1882 - 1961

‘A Woman’s Ability to Pay Her Bills Should Not Be Dependent on the Whims of Customers’

"I think the big thing people should know is that it is the second-largest and fastest-growing sector of our economy, but pays the absolute lowest wages in the country. And that is due to the money, power and influence of a trade lobby called the National Restaurant Association, which leads the Fortune 500 restaurant chains in our country, and whose power dates back over 100 years to the emancipation of the slaves, when they essentially first fought for the right to not pay workers anything—especially former slaves, who were the first tipped workers in our country—not pay them anything and let them live on customer tips.

And there’s just such a great deal of misinformation about who those workers are today, even. There’s such a misperception, that the Restaurant Association likes to promote, that these are very well-paid tipped workers, white guys working in fancy fine-dining restaurants, when in fact the vast majority of tipped workers in America, 70 percent in fact, are women who work at IHOP and Applebee’s and Olive Garden, and earn a median wage of $9 an hour including tips, and suffer from three times the poverty rate of the rest of the US workforce, and the highest rates of sexual harassment of any industry in the United States, because they are forced to live in large part on tips rather than receiving a wage from their employer."

Demonstrators from the National Women's Liberation Movement picket the 1968 Miss America Pageant in Atlantic City, N.J..jpg
At the Killers of our Women and Children, FIRE!.jpg
Nzinga as illustrated by Pat Masioni for UNESCO's series on women in African history.jpg
Quechua indigenous women walk one hour from their town Cunia to a polling station during general elections in Uchuraccay, Peru.jpg
Grabbin-em-women-600x436.jpg
quadroon-women-image-blog-1030x480.jpg
photographs-one-piece.jpgAnnette Kellerman promotes women’s right to wear fitted bathing suits in 1907. She was later arrested for indecency..jpg
17-12 Elizabeth_Stanton.jpg
This girl in Pokuase, Ghana, is supported by a scholarship provided by Womens Trust.jpg
Our Women - Our Pride - Soviet poster celebrating the first woman in space, Valentina Terechkova (1967). Artist Gausman Y..jpg
Women march.png
Women dynamite workers at one of Alfred Nobel’s factories in the 1880s..jpg
photographs-nazi-collaborators.jpgRobert Capa immortalizes the treatment of French women who were believed to have been Nazi collaborators during liberation ugly carnivals in France, 1944..jpg
Palestinian women protesting in Gaza against Mr. Trump’s move to name Jerusalem as the capital of Israel..jpg
Dalit women offer sweets at a ceremony to mark the eve of the birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar in New Delh.jpeg
Women wearing traditional attire attend the Olojo festival in Ile Ife, Nigeria,.jpg
Hungarian women wearing traditional costume leave a voting booth at a polling station during a referendum on EU migrant quotas in Veresegyhaz, Hungary.jpg