Six on US History and Geography: Rachel Carson and the Culture-Shifting Courage to Speak Inconvenient Truth to Power; Drake

philip panaritis

Nov 7, 2017, 1:17:38 AM11/7/17
to Six on History
"The town was founded by immigrants from Holland, and, until recently, almost everyone who lived there was Dutch."

Richard Nixon: Statement Submitted to Republican National Convention Committee on Resolutions: Vietnam

"The present Administration's emissaries in Paris must be able to speak with the full force and authority of the United States. Nothing should be offered in the political arena that might undercut their hand.

But there is much that can and should be discussed.

The war must be ended.

It must be ended honorably, consistent with America's limited aims and with the long term requirements of peace in Asia.

We must seek a negotiated settlement. This will require patience."

The debate over John Kelly and Ken Burns’s ‘The Civil War’ is making us stupider

"The idea that “The Civil War” portrays abolitionists as the people whose rigidity was the problem is simply not supported by the text. The last thing we need in a moment when we appear to be governed in 140-character tweets is to encourage people to judge 14-second clips of longer works in isolation. The Foote quotation is immediately preceded by historian Barbara Fields’s clear, uncompromising argument that “if there was a single event that caused the war, it was the establishment of the United States in independence from Great Britain with slavery still a part of its heritage.” It is immediately followed by a quotation from the writer John Jay Chapman that says “there was never a moment in our history when slavery was not a sleeping serpent.” A few minutes later, the narration tells us, “Most Southerners refused to acknowledge even the possibility of changing their way of life.”

Click here to Reply or Forward
911-unpublished-james-nachtwey-Now it had happened in my own country, my own city, my own backyard, and the sense of anger had an edge that was even more personal.jpg
3g14976u-Edit_500_2048x2048.jpg
angler Nick Anderson, Rick Anderson and Jeramie Mullis pose with a 143-pound blue catfish from Kerr Reservoir, also known as Buggs Island Lake, in Virginia.jpg
911-unpublished-james-nachtwey-The unbelievable had happened, and any effort seemed futile compared the magnitude of the event. I’m not sure there was even a place to attach their fire hoses.”.jpg
“Columbia’s Easter bonnet”, in Puck (April 6, 1901)..jpg
A cyclist on the Fort Duquense Bridge in downtown Pittsburgh.jpg
A cyclist passes over the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge as a dense fog rolls over the Ohio River on Oct. 13 in downtown Cincinnati..jpg
A crowd gathers to send off prisoners departing for the Tule Lake Segregation Center, in California..jpg
August 1942. Fort Loudoun Dam -- Tennessee Valley Authority drillers. Photo by Jack Delano for the Office of War Information.jpg
1280px-Smoking_him_out.jpg1848 cartoon satirizing the Barnburners . Free Soil Party, referencing the Wilmot Proviso.jpg
According to Louisiana’s new Coastal Master Plan, Cameron Parish is at risk of being inundated by 15 feet of flooding within 50 years.jpg