Six on Mosque Massacre in NZ: The Roots of the Christchurch Massacre; NZ Mosque Shooting Footage in Turkey Campaign; A Beginn

1 view

panaritisp

Mar 18, 2019, 7:57:21 PM3/18/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

 Six on Mosque Massacre in NZ: The Roots of the Christchurch Massacre; NZ Mosque Shooting Footage in Turkey Campaign; A Beginning List Of The Best Resources For Fighting Islamophobia In Schools.;NPR’s Source on Mosque Murders Can’t Recall People Ever Being Murdered in a Mosque Before; Our Brother, Our Executioner; New Zealand shooting put the media’s Islamophobia problem on display yet again

"The suspected attacker, who ranted about Turkey in his manifesto, “targeted Turkey and me,” Erdogan said. The Turkish leader then pivoted to assail the leader of Turkey’s main opposition CHP party, Kemal Kilicdaroglu, who was shown in the campaign video, for talking about “terrorism rooted in the Islamic world.” ...

Erdogan invoked anti-Muslim sentiment to prod his devout supporters to close ranks at the polls amid an economic slump that’s taking a toll on the nation of 82 million. Turkey’s economy entered a technical recession last year following a crash in the lira that also sent inflation to more than five times the official target of 5 percent.

In his manifesto, Tarrant railed that Turks must get out of the country’s European sector, vowing to “kill you and drive you roaches from our lands.”“We are coming for Constantinople and we will destroy every mosque and minaret in the city,” which will be “rightfully Christian-owned once more,” he said, referring to modern-day Istanbul.

Tarrant twice visited Turkey for a total of 43 days in 2016, Erdogan said, vowing to “uncover the connection soon.”

COMBATING ISLAMOPHOBIA IN OUR SCHOOLS

 NPR’s Source on Mosque Murders Can’t Recall People Ever Being Murdered in a Mosque Before

"Another famous mosque attack—as Mondoweiss (3/15/19) pointed out in a post on the NPR interview—occurred in Hebron in the Occupied West Bank on February 25, 1994, in the Cave of the Patriarchs (Extra!5–6/94). Baruch Goldstein, a member of the Israeli army reserves, entered the site sacred to both Judaism and Islam and opened fire while Muslims were praying there, killing 29 before he himself was killed. This act of terrorism still casts a shadow over Israeli politics, as Haaretz (2/26/19) recently reported in an article about a Knesset debate over Goldstein’s burial place: The killer’s grave has become over the years a pilgrimage site for extremist Jews who support him, and a shrine to his memory was set up next to his tomb.

Perhaps the biggest mosque-related mass murder occurred in the Philippines on September 24, 1974, when some 1,500 members of the Moro people were rounded up by the Philippine army and killed in a mosque in the village of Malisbong.

Other anti-Muslim mosque attacks include the 25 worshipers killed on October 11, 2017, at a mosque in Kembe, Central African Republic; the 20 people slaughtered at the Han Tha mosque in Taungoo, Myanmar, in May 2001; and the 147 victims of the Kattankudy mosque massacre in Sri Lanka on August 3, 1990.

Mosques have also been frequent targets of Islamic extremists, particularly Salafist militants such as ISIS attacking Shia and Sufi religious centers. The deadliest terrorist attack in Egyptian history took place on November 24, 2017, at the al-Rawda mosque in the Sinai Peninsula, when some 40 attackers, suspected of being affiliated with ISIS, killed 311 Sufi worshipers (New York Times12/1/17).

That none of this was recalled, either by the host of Morning Edition or the director of a group that presents itself as a “global leader in exposing extremism” with a mission “to secure justice and fair treatment for all,” is a testament to the failure of our information systems to give due weight to violence against Muslims—and the consequent dangerous impoverishment of our collective memory."

Our Brother, Our Executioner

"The Muslims at the two New Zealand mosques were liquidated not just by a man filled with hatred, but by the ideas that he clung to, ideas about racial superiority and who his country belonged to. This was true in Quebec, when Muslims were gunned down in their mosque in 2017. It was true in Pittsburgh, when Jews who had been helping Muslim refugees were murdered in their synagogue in 2018. It was true in Norway, when 77 people were killed by a white bigot. It was true in Charleston, when black churchgoers were mowed down by another radicalized white man. A pathology of hatred has spread around the world, and it has put all our lives at risk.

Islamophobia is not a fringe problem: It is embedded in much of Western society. For over two decades now — the span of an entire generation — the whole Muslim community has been forced to accept collective guilt and punishment for every act of terror or violence committed by one of its members. Never would, or should, this standard be applied to white people, who seem to have kept the privilege of individual differentiation for themselves.

This is what those who are suspicious of Muslims cannot grasp: that the definition of racism is an inability to discriminate between the old man with the skullcap and beard before you and the suicide-bomber you saw on TV."

The New Zealand shooting put the media’s Islamophobia problem on display yet again

"I still go to mosques. What my mother doesn’t realize is that what scares me is that those who condemn this most recent act of cowardly, hateful violence will, when the bodies are buried and the headlines disappear, go back to normalizing the very foundation that got us to this point.As the news cycle develops over the next few days, there will be a very simple part of the story that will not be discussed: how accepted the Islamophobia that underpinned the attack actually is.

Islamophobia is not just a slur or a pull of a hijab; it is not just a ban on who can come into this country and it is not just a massacre that is livestreamed. All of that is a heinous expression of anti-Muslim bigotry, but it is explicit expression; it is an expression of Islamophobia that is easy to categorize. What we have yet to really confront and discuss is the everyday, acceptable Islamophobia that relies on the same basic assumptions that propel violence against Muslims both in the United States and abroad.

Take, for example, language that is used to describe Muslims.   In the immediate aftermath of the Christchurch massacre, there were descriptions of the mosque and its worshipers as “peaceful” — by the media as well as by well-intentioned, horrified onlookers around the world.

The use of the term “peaceful” seems, at face value, benign, but it is a term that insinuates that Muslims and mosques, by near default, are violent unless we categorize and prove them to be otherwise. Muslims, themselves, have adopted the language of “Islam means peace” as a means of protection against violence and accusations of dual loyalty. The choice that is given to Muslims is one that defaults violence: We are either violent or we are against violence.

The 11 worshipers killed at the Tree of Life synagogue in October 2018 were not called “peaceful worshipers.” The Sutherland Springs Church, which saw 26 of its congregants killed in 2017, wasn’t called a “peaceful church.”

But the acceptability and normalization of Islamophobia goes beyond that: It’s when a black, visibly Muslim woman in Congress has her own party partake in an Islamophobic campaign against her, a campaign that hinged on the assumption that Muslims, by default, are anti-Semitic.

It’s when those who have spent a large part or the entirety of their careers fear-mongering about Muslims are rewarded by prestigious institutions with Ivy League fellowships or columns in the New York Times.

It’s when a former U.S. President gets up in front of tens of thousands of fellow party members and demands a loyalty test from Muslim Americans whose vote he is trying to collect for his candidate wife.

It’s when an editor of one of the most respected journalistic institutions in this country casually tweets about “halting and repatriating Middle Eastern mass migration to Europe to keep it safe.” And then does something similar four years later in a piece about how maybe the fascists have a point about “enforcing the borders.”

Israeli forces detain Fawzi al-Juniadi during a protest in the West Bank city of Hebron on December 7.jpg
American airstrikes, aimed at wresting the Syrian city of Raqqa from the Islamic State, have killed hundreds of civilians and trapped others..jpg
Suicide bombings claimed by so-called Islamic State have killed dozens of people in Aden.jpg
Kurdish fighters with the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces in operations against the Islamic State on the outskirts of Manbij in January.jpg
Security forces passing near a refugee camp for Nigeriens displaced by Boko Haram attacks, Niger, 2017.jpg
Islamophobia-Spoken-Here-600x409.jpg
An Egyptian man holds a newspaper near Mesaha Square in Cairo on July 4, 2013, after the military ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi..jpg
Blood stains the wall in the courtyard inside St Mark’s cathedral, the seat of Egypt’s ancient Coptic Orthodox church. The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing that killed 25 people, main.jpg
March 4, 2011 Thousands of Jordanians, including Islamists, trade unionists and leftists, protest in Amman to demand reforms to the regime..jpg
1000The Gazi Husrev-bey Mosque is considered the most important Islamic structure in the country.jpg
islamaphobia.jpg
west-bank-demolition.jpgA Palestinian woman looking at the remains of her home after it was demolished by Israeli bulldozers, near Hebron, the West Bank, March 6, 2017.jpg
Journey-to-Mecca.pdf
maksurah.picture of the interior of the burial place of the Prophet, in Medina..gif
Map of Ibn Battuta’s travel.jpg
A mosque and homes in the Palestinian city of Hebron provide the backdrop as an Israeli child plays in the Kiryat Arba settlement, one of the oldest in the West Bank..jpg
Saudis.jpg
Five_pillars_of_Islam.jpg
Police patrol a night food market near the Id Kah Mosque in Kashgar in Chinas Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region.jpg
This year there have been reports of authorities forbidding ‘Islamic’ names and face veils across the Xinjiang region.jpg
The campaign to oust the Islamic State from Iraq and Syria has left cities like Raqqa in ruin with no clear path to rebuilding..jpg
We know he was trained as a qadi, or judge, in the Maliki tradition of jurisprudence, which is one of the four major schools of Islamic legal thought that codified, interpreted and adjudicated shar’ia, or Isla.gif