panaritisp

May 26, 2021, 3:10:24 PM5/26/21
to Six on History

Welcome back to Six on History.

PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

Go to the Six on History Archive to search past posts/articles click "labels" on the left when there and the topics will collapse.

Thanks

IMG_4706 (2).JPG
   Phil Panaritis

Six on History: Schools

1) Teachers, Keep Hope about the Minds You Influence, History News Network

"How and to what degree does a teacher impact a student?  I doubt that we will ever be able to gauge the matter. I believe it may boil down to matters of hopefulness and pessimism and the moral imperative of making a choice between them. Surely each one of us, both professional educators and laymen, impacts the lives of people we cross, but we often don't know which ones or to what degree. We must remain hopeful as an article of faith.

I once had a memorable professor at the University of Washington, Donald Warren Treadgold, an eminent scholar of the Soviet Union. Let's be kind and just say that this man, a cold warrior extraordinaire, knew his own mind. He was more than a little famous for that.

Professor Treadgold was a prolific author, and his work was known throughout the world. He authored Lenin and His Rivals; The Great Siberian Migration; Twentieth Century Russia; The West in Russia and China (two volumes); and Freedom: A History.

When I first wandered into one of Professor Treadgold's classes, almost all of my study had been on western Europe. I was a stranger in a strange land in my attempts to learn about Russia and the Soviet Union. Considering myself a hotshot, I plunged forward. But wait. The rub was that Professor Treadgold attempted to teach me a great deal that I found myself resisting at every turn. It all took place within the constraints of academic etiquette, but make no mistake, this was a slugging match. And it was a mismatch, for he knew so much, and I knew so little. I considered him to be an old relic. He considered me to be a dopy, misguided, poorly informed idealist. I dug in. He persisted.

Throughout the following years, my memory of him remained fresh. I continued to remember his disdain for my viewpoints, his deep learning, his patient demeanor, and the overall gentleness of his character. And as the decades passed, I found myself incorporating much of what he had vainly tried to teach me. It dripped into me, consciously and subconsciously. I never swallowed it whole, but the slow drip never stopped. I can now firmly say that he had as great an intellectual impact on me, both morally and intellectually, as any person that I have known.

One day, many years later, I was pecking away at my computer. Suddenly, for no conscious reason, I did googled his name. I found that two years before he had passed away as a result of leukemia. Stunned, I gazed out my window. The sun was going down and it looked cold outside. The streets were empty. I placed both hands over my face and sobbed like a little child."

2) Protecting a Teacher’s Citizen Rights and Freedom to Teach – Alan Singer on Daily Kos

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/4/25/2027584/-Protecting-a-Teacher-s-Citizen-Rights-and-Freedom-to-Teach?_=2021-04-25T15:09:37.000-07:00

Long Island News 12 reported that some Rockville Center, New York parents were accusing a high school social studies teacher of expressing anti-police opinions in class. The parents want her reprimanded for expressing views in class they don’t like....

Alan Singer, Director, Secondary Education Social Studies
Teaching Learning Technology
290 Hagedorn Hall / 119 Hofstra University / Hempstead, NY 11549
(P) 516-463-5853 (F) 516-463-6196
Blogs, tweets, essays, interviews, and e-blasts present my views and not those of Hofstra University.

3) More than half of LI students opt out of taking math tests, Newsday

"More than half of students across 57 Long Island school districts in grades 3-8 opted out of taking the math assessments given earlier this month, a Newsday analysis found.

According to data collected from the districts, 55%, or 45,747 children, declined to take the assessment tests, which were given May 3-14. The data tracks closely to the opt-out rate on the English Language Arts exams given in April, when 52.5% of children across 61 districts did not take the exams, a Newsday survey found.

Of the districts surveyed on the math assessments, 44.6% did not take the exams in Nassau County and 60.5% in Suffolk. Not all districts — there are 124 on Long Island — participated in the survey.

"This year's opt-out numbers demonstrate that Long Island continues to be the national epicenter of the pushback against a test-centered education," Jeanette Deutermann, a Bellmore parent and leader of the Long Island Opt Out group, said Friday.

The number of students eligible for the math tests is often lower than those for English Language Arts because students enrolled in accelerated math in grades 7 and 8 may participate in high school math Regents Exams instead.

In 2019, 47.9% of students across 95 districts opted out of the math exams, according to a Newsday survey. Students didn't have to take any assessment tests last year because the state was granted a waiver from the U.S. Department of Education due to the coronavirus epidemic.

Educators noted after this year's English Language Arts tests that the results likely cannot be used to make programmatic decisions. Bill Heidenreich, president of the Nassau County Council of School Superintendents, said then that, "Logistically, we administered the exam because federal law requires that we do so, but we have assessment results that we really don't know what to do with."

Prior years have drawn large boycotts of the assessments, with some parents and educators saying the tests do not accurately measure student achievement.

The tests were different on several levels this year, including: They were shorter, and remote learners did not take the tests at home but were not required to come to school for testing. The U.S. education department insisted that New York and other states conduct them, denying the state the waiver it had sought.

In seeking the waiver for 2021, the state said the tests would not be useful to fairly assess an individual or school district’s progress, given the disruptions of the year and the many students studying remotely.

The state shortened the tests — taking place over one day rather than two in each session — and schools faced no consequences or penalties for low participation rates. Federal aid distribution is not tied to test results.

Educators said the test contained only about two dozen questions. Some questions on the tests had been used in prior years, as well as in practice exams, that were familiar to students.

Testing advocates, such as the New York Equity Coalition of civil rights, education, parent, and business groups, said assessment data is "vital to understand what the academic impacts of the pandemic have been."

4) SC educators worry order ending mask mandates will worsen teacher shortage                 crisis, Post and Courier (Charleston)

"In the week following Gov. Henry McMaster’s order to end mask requirements in schools, some teachers are questioning whether they want to continue on in the profession.

The order, which McMaster signed May 11, directed the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control to create and provide a form that allows students to opt out of wearing a mask in schools. It also dissolved municipal mask mandates that hinged on the state’s ongoing state of emergency.

The governor cited declining COVID-19 cases and deaths as well as the availability of the vaccine, which opened to people age 12 and older on May 12, as his reasoning for the order.

DHEC released the form May 12, inciting a chaotic day for South Carolina school districts. State Education Superintendent Molly Spearman derided the order, saying it circumvented “public health guidance by inciting hysteria and sowing division in the waning days of the school year.

Aside from the form itself, school districts were given very little guidance as to how to implement the new order, which resulted in teachers being left to their own devices. In some instances, teachers found themselves being middlemen between people who were pro-mask and those who were against them.

Gov. McMaster order ending SC mask mandates created ‘chaos,’ schools chief says
By Mary Katherine Wildeman and Libby Stanford mkwil...@postandcourier.com lsta...@postandcourier.com
Some students who chose to continue wearing masks did not want to sit next to students who chose to stop wearing them. Teachers had to find a compromise that ultimately angered parents.

“We were just put in a bad spot being asked to accommodate the different values and views on masks when it’s difficult,” said Mary Rita Wilson, Dorchester District 2 teacher and president of the Summerville Education Association. “You’re in a small room. You can’t always do that.”

In the days that followed the mask order, parents and other community members posted to a Facebook group titled “Unmask our Children SC,” claiming teachers were alienating students who opted out of the mask rules from students who chose to wear the masks.

In one post to the group, a parent wrote that her student at Charleston County School of the Arts was told she could not “talk/stand/move in his class without a mask on.”

Officials at Charleston County School District and Dorchester District 2 both said teachers have been instructed to not separate or single out students who aren’t wearing masks. The districts continue to implement social-distancing protocols and are maintaining seating charts that were put in place before masks became optional.

Officials at Berkeley County School District — the only district in the state that has not required masks since the beginning of the pandemic — declined to comment.

Other parents encouraged their children to record teachers and send the videos to Project Veritas, a conservative group with the goal of exposing corruption in government. The South Carolina Education Association sent a letter to its members informing them of the potential recordings.

However, the education association’s president, Sherry East, and other teachers have not heard of any instances in which teachers were actually being recorded.

“That sent up a red flag because we’re familiar with Project Veritas and some of the tactics they use in other states,” East said.

Another teacher advocacy group, SC for Ed, canceled a scheduled protest May 17 after a number of teachers received “harassing and threatening messaging from groups with extreme views about masking,” according to a statement from the group.

“Lack of plan and execution put us in this place where parents reacted that way,” Leanna Rossi-Potter, the Charleston SC for Ed representative, said. “It led to more divisiveness in our state and it placed parents against teachers.”

So far, teachers say the extreme messaging and threats have been limited to social media posts. However, some worry the reaction to the mask order is going to affect teacher retention in a state that already faces a teacher shortage crisis.

According to a December report from the Center for Educator Recruitment, Retention & Advancement, nearly 6,000 teachers in the state did not return to their jobs in the same district after the 2019-20 school year, which is the lowest that data point has been in the past five years. Around 42 percent of teachers who had less than five years of experience left the profession after that school year.

As of February, there were around 500 teacher vacancies across the state.

“I get emails every day from fabulous teachers, who have many years left in them, saying ‘I’m done,’” said Kathy Maness, executive director of the Palmetto State Teachers Association.

McMaster and his team remain steadfast in the decision to make masks optional despite the criticisms of a lack of planning.

“The governor warned school districts two weeks prior to issuing the executive order that he was going to take action if they didn’t,” McMaster’s spokesman Brian Symmes said. “Frankly, there’s no excuse for schools not to have been prepared ... All he did with this executive order was ensure that a parent’s opinion on what’s best for their children was no longer being ignored.”

If you ask Maness and other teacher advocates, there’s not a resolution at this point.

“The damage is done,” she said."

5) The Complexity of Daily Principal Decision-making, Larry Cuban on School Reform           and Classroom Practice

"Although the content of lessons in science or math, or English, or French or U.S. history differ, they have in common a massive inventory of decisions that effortlessly get made as each lesson is taught. Teachers, then, make hundreds, if not more, instructional and managerial decisions each day they teach. And that’s not counting what decisions teachers make when they interact with students before and after school, make contacts with parents on email, phones, or social media in and out of school. Of course, teachers interact with their principals as well. And many of those interactions involve decisions about students, parents, and other teachers.

Now, consider the complexity of a principal’s daily decision-making. Researchers shadowing principals is rare but it has occurred (see here and here). Principals keeping logs of their daily work and sharing those logs with researchers occasionally appear in the literature (see here and here). But studies that actually count decisions that an elementary or secondary principal makes daily, I have yet to find. So I have had to settle for descriptions of a principal’s typical day or examples of daily logs principals have kept to give the flavor of the rapid-fire decision-making that does occur.

Here is one example of a day-in-the-life of one principal. Jessica Johnson is Principal of Dodgeland Elementary School in Wisconsin. This day-in-the-life appeared on her blog April 26, 2009.

I am guilty of having thought as a teacher and even as an assistant principal, “What is the principal doing all day? Why hasn’t he/she done x, y or z yet?” Well, now that I’m the principal, I take back all of the thoughts I had back then, because you can just never understand what the principal does all day until you live it!

There are so many things that could happen in a day that couldn’t even be shared with staff, because: A) I don’t want to set the tone of the school by complaining B) Some information has to be filtered by me or it would just give teachers more to stress over C) There’s a lot of confidential information contained within a principal’s day. So, I want to write a list of all the crazy things that could happen on any given day.

Monday morning arrive to work at 6:30 am. Turn on the computer and start looking at my list of things to accomplish today (includes 7:35/3:05  Individualized Education Program (IEP) meetings, teacher observation, teacher meeting, parent conference, call McDonald’s for additional donations of ice cream coupons for student of the month awards, write monthly principal newsletter, finalize summer school course packets, sort through the junk mail still piled up from last week-because I didn’t get to it over the weekend, complete purchase requisitions, file pink copies of all purchases for budgeting, get into classrooms).

7:00 receive call from sub-caller, write down list of teachers out today—we ran out of subs so I have to figure out coverage for one of the first grade teachers. Write a note for the secretary regarding this, tell her I’ll be to the class at 8:00, but for her to keep looking for coverage.

7:05 Try to start on paperwork, but a teacher comes in to tell about a phone call she received from a parent after school on Friday regarding a bus incident—record the information to investigate.

7:10 Try to start on paperwork, but get a call from a teacher that our online student information system (for attendance and grades) is down again. Put in a call to tech director to get it fixed…send out an email to all staff that the problem should be fixed soon *hopefully*.

7:20 Parents are here for the IEP meeting…show them to the conference room to wait….no chance of getting paperwork done now. Go to get IEP information for the meeting and see the voicemail light flashing again…check it and hear that a teacher got stuck in traffic and won’t make it in time…go tell the secretary and then run back to the IEP meeting.

7:35-8:00 IEP meeting…this one went well. Now I have to run to cover that class.

8:00-8:30 Teaching a lower grade level, no lesson plans (note to self-remind teachers to get emergency sub plans/folders ready) making it up as I go.

8:30 Call from the office that one of our Emotional/Behavioral Disability (EBD) students needs to be removed from the room—an aide is coming to cover the class instead.

8:35-9:15 Remove EBD student—severe physical aggression, I’m sure I’ll have some bruises from this one—not to mention the mess the conference room is in now (we don’t have a time-out room). I’ve had my glasses broken before, so glad that didn’t happen this time. He/she finally is calm/compliant and I escort the child back to class…
Fortunately another substitute was able to come in and cover that other class now. Thank goodness, I can get to my list…

Check my voicemail—1 teacher call with a question about the new report card, 1 teacher call requesting me to come speak with her about a student, 1 parent call angry about a bus incident, another angry parent upset with a teacher.

9:20 put the sign on my door that says “I’m out in classrooms to see what students are learning” and get to each of the teachers that left me voice messages. Make a move to classrooms for walk throughs—first one has guided reading groups and centers with 1st grade kids reading amazingly well! Start to enter the 2nd classroom of the day when I’m called for on the school loud speaker (I don’t carry my walkie-talkie when I’m going into classrooms and my secretaries know only to call for me in an emergency). Hurry back to the office to find that one of our special needs children ran off from the aide (he/she has never done this before!) I make a special all-call to the staff to let them know we’re looking for ______ and then several of us split up to search….10 minutes later we find her/him in an unattended office in the dark pretending to type on a computer. Whew! ... "

6) We Found the Textbooks of Senators Who Oppose The 1619 Project and Suddenly           Everything Makes Sense, The Root

"So when Mitch McConnell and 38 Republican senators sent a letter to the secretary of education decrying the ghastly prospect of white students having to learn actual facts about slavery, it was not unexpected. For centuries, this country’s schools have perpetuated a whitewashed version of history that either erases or reduces the story of Black America down to a B-plot in the American script. It’s why they hate Critical Race Theory, The 1619 Project and anything factual—because the white-centric interpretation of our national past is so commonly acceptedwhite people have convinced themselves that anything that varies from the Caucasian interpretation must be a lie.

This is not new,” Jelani Cobb told The Root. “One of the most under-discussed topics in education is the role slavery plays in the early history of the country.”

Cobb, a journalist and educator, earned a Ph.D. in American history under the supervision of David L. Lewis, who won the Pulitzer Prize for his two-volume Biography of W. E. B. Dubois, the American giant whose early works provided the template for the study of the history of Black people in America. As a professor at institutions from Columbia University to the historically Black Spelman College, Cobb notes that the “propaganda of history” has been so whitewashed that most people don’t realize that they learned a whitewashed version of America’s founding.

“It is important to realize that all history is revisionist history,” Cobb explained. “The established historiographies are constantly revised as we learn more information.”

Even though no teacher in America has been hogtied and forced to teach the curriculum devised by historians, journalists and people who know things, The Root was curious. If The 1619 Project is an attempt to rewrite history, which version of history does the GOP fear is being altered?

The Root decided to see what some of the signatories to Mitch McConnell’s Strawberry Letter knew about slavery and Black history. We dug through state curriculum standards, yearbooks and spoke with teachers to see which interpretation of history the white tears-spewing politicians learned when they were in elementary and high school. In doing so, there are certain things we realized:

  1. There is no one Social Studies curriculum: Most states’ departments of educations create a K-12 social studies curriculum that sets a minimum standard for what students should learn by a certain grade (Here is Georgia’s). The rest is usually left up to the districts, schools and even the teachers.
  2. There are two histories: As someone who was homeschooled, this was a revelation to me. The majority of K-12 students cycle through two levels of social studies. The basics of geography, civics and history are usually taught in elementary and middle school. Students learn another, more detailed history and civics curriculum in high school that usually includes separate courses for civics/government, world history, and American history.
  3. But really, there are three histories: Many states mandate a “state history” course, usually from a limited selection of one or two state-approved textbooks. In some cases, the state course totally contradicts what the students learn in American history classes.
  4. Sometimes there are four histories. There are some states where students take two different state history courses—one elementary level class and one high school level class.
  5. ...Or six histories: Take Georgia, for instance. In elementary school, students learn the basics of American history and state history. In middle school, they take world history and another year of state history. In high school, they do it over again, with mandatory courses in world history and U.S. history. However, in Georgia, and in most states, students use textbooks from different publishers and authors, many of which tell completely contradictory versions of the same stories.
  6. But no Black history: Aside from cursory mentions of the Civil War, Martin Luther King Jr. and the civil rights movement, most state educational curriculums don’t specify how much history should be dedicated to Black history. In Georgia, students have courses on Native American history, Latin American and Caribbean culture, a course that combines African and Asian geography, but nothing specifically on Black history.

Knowing this, we dug through bios, school archives and academic resources to find out how these GOP legislators gained their knowledge of America’s past. In most cases, we were able to find the exact textbook each legislator’s school district used for one of the state or American history courses. In other cases, we were able to find contemporaneous descriptions of the textbooks from academic journals or reports. To our surprise, most received a well-rounded education on the history of Black people in America.

Just kidding. They all learned variations of the same white lies. And, apparently, they’d like to keep it that way.

Here’s what we found.

Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.)

What she said: “The 1619 Project is nothing more than left-wing propaganda. Tennesseans don’t want it in our schools. We want our children to learn about our nation’s history.”

What she read: Although she represents Tennessee, Marsha Blackburn attended elementary and high school in Laurel, Miss. In 1959, the year Sen. Marsha Blackburn would have entered kindergarten in Mississippi, the state legislature handed control of choosing textbooks to Gov. Ross Barnett. At the request of the Mississippi State Society of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC), the state had already mandated a ninth-grade course in Mississippi history, which means Blackburn learned the history of her state from John K. Bettersworth’s textbook Mississippi: a History.

The New York Times wrote in 1975 that Bettersworth’s catalogs “treat blacks of old as complacent darkies or as a problem to whites.” When The Root reviewed the text, we noticed that the entire history of the 250-year institution of slavery was reduced to five pages. Bettersworth’s book was based on UDC propaganda that taught children that the slave master treated his slaves “as his own,” but noted that most of the human chattel were so lazy that “it took two to help; one to do nothing.” However, Bettersworth was sure to point out the kindness of the masters who educated the enslaved “as they taught their own children.”

Mississippi: A History also treats the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education case as a travesty, insisting that Mississippians were largely satisfied with segregated schools. “Incidents had been extremely rare,” it explained. “[F]or by and large, each race—its parents, its pupils and their teachers, had found it advantageous to remain in an ‘equal but separate’ status.”

The
United Daughters of the Confederacy play an outsized role in the way we learn history. Formed in the late 19th century, the group is not only responsible for most of the Confederate monuments in America but perhaps their biggest memorial to the white supremacist utopia known as the Confederacy is how they instilled their beliefs in schools across America. By turning Southern housewives into lobbyists for the Lost Cause ideology, they transformed history into a fictional version of the past, complete with happy slaves and brave, honorable white men who just wanted low taxes. By the early 1920s, they had become so powerful that a history book didn’t stand a chance of being approved if it contained a negative portrayal of the Antebellum South or the Civil War.

Blackburn’s alma mater, Northeast Jones, integrated in the fall of 1970, the year after Blackburn graduated.

Tom Cotton (R-Ark.)

What he said: “The 1619 Project is left-wing propaganda. It’s revisionist history at its worst.”

What he read: Tom Cotton, a 1995 graduate of Dardanelle High School, likely learned his American History from The American PageantWhile Cengage is a relative newcomer in the textbook industry, its high school history book, The American Pageant was used across the country for many years. The text is nuanced and thorough, even in how it presents slavery...most of the time.

One of the realities of the textbook industry is, because of the UDC’s influence over school districts and boards of education in the South, publishers must choose between telling the truth or bowing out of the textbook market in one-quarter of the country. Cotton’s text never explicitly says the Civil War was about slavery or even refers to it as a “Civil War.” Instead, it carefully couches the “War for Southern Independence” as a clash that had to do with tariffs, Northern overreach, blah, blah, blah. The book also doesn’t quote any of the actual declarations of secession, only noting that the “rebel” Jefferson Davis told the despotic “King” Abraham Lincoln: “All we ask is to be let alone.”

And, of course, the textbook describes the period after the Civil War:

Unbending loyalty to “ole Massa” prompted many slaves to help their owners resist the Union Armies. Blacks blocked the door of the “big house” with their bodies or stashed the plantation silverware under mattresses in their own humble huts, where it would be safe from the plundering “bluebellies”...Newly emancipated slaves sometimes eagerly accepted the invitation of Union troops to join in the pillaging of their master’s possessions.

This would be a theme throughout many of the textbooks. The few passages that described the lives of Black people were usually crafted from single-sourced narratives of enslavers or other white people. “The-thing-that-happened-that-one-time” becomes the mold for “this is how the slaves were,” which is the literal definition of stereotyping.

Perhaps the only thing more racist than this textbook is the name “Tom Cotton,” which sounds like the person you have to fight when you defeat all the other slave masters. ..."

teaching_about_redlining.pdf
rethinking_constitutional_convention role play.pdf
grandparents_civil_rights_erae Civil Rights Movement to students’ family history by asking their grandparents to share their memories of the Movement..pdf
PS 48 students investigate Primary Source Documents.jpg
plotting_inequalitiesthe ways economics and racism affect education, housing, and job opportunities..pdf
why_students_should_study_history.pdf
exploring_womens_rightsExploring Women’s RightsThe 1908 Textile Strike in a 1st-grade Class.pdf
testing_and_tracking origins of HS.pdf
learning_about_unfairgrounds A 4th-Grade Teacher Introduces Her Students to Executive Order 9066.pdf
describing_students_work.pdf