Six on Schools: Advice for New Social Justice Educators: "I Wish I Had Known"; CEC District 16 urges mayor to phase out the gifted program they once fought to create; “If I Want to Go to a Good School Why Do I Have to Go to a White School?”; his fell

1 view

panaritisp

Sep 24, 2019, 10:01:16 PM9/24/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks

Six on Schools: Advice for New Social Justice Educators: "I Wish I Had Known"; CEC District 16 urges mayor to phase out the gifted program they once fought to create; “If I Want to Go to a Good School Why Do I Have to Go to a White School?”; his fellow plutocrats were wrong to blame the schools for the dysfunctions of our society"; Advocates pushing bill to reduce school suspensions they say unfairly impact black students; The Best Sites For Teaching About Latitude & Longitude

Advice for New Social Justice Educators: "I Wish I Had Known"

"I wish I had known
my power would multiply over the years with my experience, but I am still sometimes invisible.

I wish I had known
that teaching consists of a lot of meetings
and paperwork that can make you forget your main purpose.
That a snack and cold sparkling water is magical at 2 p.m.
That I can and should leave work at school.
That exhaustion is not a badge of honor,
and I need energy for my students.

I wish I had known

this is about the kids. Accountability means speaking up and owning my mistakes.
... "

Advice for New Social Justice Educators: "I Wish I Had Known"

CEC District 16 urges mayor, chancellor & CM Cornegy to phase out the gifted program they once fought to create

Article aboHe loudly declared that his fellow plutocrats were wrong to blame the schools for the dysfunctions of our society, which he pinned on income inequalityut CEC 16’s  new position on gifted programs here: Brooklyn’s District 16 urges mayor, chancellor to phase out the gifted program they once fought to create

“If I Want to Go to a Good School Why Do I Have to Go to a White School?”

"The 2014 UCLA Civil Rights Project produced a startling report,

New York has the most segregated schools in the country: in 2009, black and Latino students in the state had the highest concentration in intensely-segregated public schools (less than 10% white enrollment), the lowest exposure to white students, and the most uneven distribution with white students across schools. Heavily impacting these state rankings is New York City, home to the largest and one of the most segregated public school systems in the nation.

 With the sound of bugles the mayor issued a tepid plan to begin school integration, encouraging school communities, with financial supports, to create integration plans.

 Since the release of the report school integration (or, the other side of the coin, school segregation), has dominated the news cycles. From the mayor to the chancellor to electeds the issue resonates across the city. New York City Alliance for School Integration and Desegregation (nycASID) is one of many organizations leading the battle to integrate schools across the city. nycASID holds month meeting (see next meeting agenda here)."

"He loudly declared that his fellow plutocrats were wrong to blame the schools for the dysfunctions of our society"

Advocates pushing bill to reduce school suspensions they say unfairly impact black students
i-wish-my-teacher-knew-school-children-notes-kyle-schwartz-20-57c7d62c1f612__700 (1).jpg
Betsy DeVos, the education secretary, is a firm proponent of school vouchers.jpg
Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is the only Trump cabinet member to receive around-the-clock protection from the U.S. Marshals Service..jpg
1000406_1_cartoon160829-02_standard.png
matthew-diffee-once-again-we-re-boarding-only-our-elite-premium-passengers-at-this-time-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg
Cartoon Analysis Worksheet2.doc
i-wish-my-teacher-knew-school-children-notes-kyle-schwartz-11-57c7d61b0a484__700 (1).jpg
primary school in Uqturpan county, Xinjiang on May 3, 2012. The Chinese characters above the blackboard on the wall read, Always be prepared to strive for the cause of communism......jpg
A child’s doll, perhaps arranged by a tourist, sitting among hundreds of gas masks in an abandoned school in Pripyat, now a ghost town not far from Chernobyl, Ukraine, 2017.jpg
In 1966, a bus captain and a principal checked children on a school bus as part of Operation Exodus, a completely community-led program that self-funded the busing of students.jpg
Valerie Banks was the only student to show up for her geography class at South Boston High School in 1974 on the first day of court-ordered busing.jpg
e2c26cf6b2b9576ca38c875018c1eaae-good-names-teacher-funnies (1).jpg
teachers_protest_CNTE_Mexico_rtr_img.jpgMembers of the National Coordination of Education Workers (CNTE) teachers' union in Mexico carry candles during a march after a lethal police attack against CNTE protesters..jpg
Maritcha Lyons Redmond Lifelong education and African-American activist, co-founder of the White Rose Mission.jpg