Six on Geography and Science: Having kids makes you happier, but only when they move out; The Untold Benefits of Climate Change; Massive sea turtle found dead near LI beach; "Shikwah" by Khaled Mattawa; Mat Bors: Greenland’s New Deal; Monsanto's atta

1 view

panaritisp

Aug 20, 2019, 10:13:19 PM8/20/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Geography and Science: Having kids makes you happier, but only when they move out; The Untold Benefits of Climate Change; Massive sea turtle found dead near LI beach; "Shikwah" by Khaled Mattawa; Mat Bors: Greenland’s New Deal; Monsanto's attack on journalism

Having kids makes you happier, but only when they move out

When it comes to who is happier, people with kids or those without, most research points to the latter. But a new study suggests that parents are happier than non-parents later in life, when their children move out and become sources of social enjoyment rather than stress.

Most surveys of parental happiness have focused on those whose children still live at home. These tend to show that people with kids are less happy than their child-free peers because they have less free time, sleep and money.

Christoph Becker at Heidelberg University in Germany and his colleagues wondered if the story might be different for parents whose kids have left home. To find out, they analysed data from a European survey that asked 55,000 people aged 50 and older about their emotional well-being.

They found that, in this older age group, people with children had greater life satisfaction and fewer symptoms of depression than people without children, but only if their kids had left home.

Returning the favour

This may be because when children grow up and move out, they provide social enrichment to their parents minus the day-to-day stress of looking after them, says Becker. They may also give something back by providing care and financial support to their parents, he says. “Hence, children’s role as caregivers, financial support or simply as social contact might outweigh negative aspects of parenthood,” he says.

The picture is similar in the US, says Nicholas Wolfinger at the University of Utah. He recently analysed 40 years of data from the US General Social Survey and found that empty-nest parents aged 50 to 70 were 5 to 6 per cent more likely to report being very happy than those with kids still at home."

Kendra Wells: The Untold Benefits of Climate Change

Massive sea turtle found dead near LI beach

"A massive and rare leatherback sea turtle was found dead near Callahan’s Beach in Fort Salonga on Wednesday morning, authorities said.

The male turtle, nearly 5 feet long, had several deep lacerations on its back consistent with a vessel strike, said officials with the Atlantic Marine Conservation Society, a not-for-profit that responds to reports of dead or entangled marine animals in New York State. Authorities buried the animal without weighing it, but similar specimens weighed around 700 pounds, said Robert DiGiovanni Jr., chief scientist for the agency.

“This was probably a young animal, like a teenager,” he said. “It probably spent a number of years wandering around the Atlantic,” ranging as far north as Nova Scotia and as far south as the Caribbean. It might have entered the Sound in search of jellyfish, its preferred food, DiGiovanni said.

Leatherbacks, the largest turtle species, emerged during the time of the dinosaurs but are now listed as endangered by federal wildlife officials."

Massive sea turtle found dead near LI beach

"Shikwah" by Khaled Mattawa

View this email on a browserForward to a friend
facebook-icon tumblr-icon twitter-icon
August 20, 2019

Shikwah

Khaled Mattawa

                         After Iqbal

Brother on the threshing floor, body like wheat,
and the red dirt that binds us, that nothing will release us
from. The fig tree, the date palm, the treacherous murder

unleashed into us now, the call blazing from vanity’s lungs,
jutting us to a future of mindless rain, wayward blizzards
of sand and snow. We were born to ward off this desolation

that grinds mountains into floss, bores into our books
for a whim that ordains blood, our blood
and others, our sisters, mothers. Without such fear

who will we be? What will we do without
this aching chord, without the bright morning that tore
the silver’s towers? Fire and the parched red dirt

that binds, the water stolen from our wells,
a black magic dredging the lower rungs of earth.
We dream of clover. The soft scent of young lambs

is the first letter of our alphabet, and the prophets
who tighten ropes around their waists to stifle hunger's
pangs, supplicant brows seeking light from earth’s core.

What will we do without the angel’s voice, a tide
sending us heavenward, a harmattan ushering us into the hell
of its lows. How can we live without such turbulent hope?

How can we accept the certainty of our quiet graves?
How can we stop waiting to witness the Lord’s face?
And what will we do without the hardened gaze?

The girls walk past, hair fluttering like commas
between poems of musk, a dream of touch like water
gently falling on smooth, warm stone.

What will we do without the anemones’ mournful dirge
stroking the dagger’s spine and the gelding’s nightmares.
Our hatred for our scoured hands, our love of the moment

when the sun drops only for our eyes? Who else will hear
birdsong as prayer, who will cleanse himself with the stroke
of sand? Who keeps the earth rotating with praise

of your name? And what will this spinning,
hurtling mean without our voices shouldering it
toward some ripe, sweetened pause?

What will you do, dear God, without us? How
will you fare, alone again in the empty vast, in the dark
of your creation, without us giving you your name?

Facebook Like Button  Tweet Button

Copyright © 2019 Khaled Mattawa. Originally published in Poem-a-Day on August 20, 2019, by the Academy of American Poets.
Mattawa reads Shikwah.

About This Poem

“The title word is the Urdu for complaint (from the Arabic shakwa), and the title of a poem by the great Indian poet Muhammad Iqbal (1877-1938). A complaint to God, Iqbal’s poem bemoans the state of his people and the decline of their civilization. I first encountered Iqbal’s ‘Shikwa’ as an Arabic song by Oum Kalthoum, the great Egyptian singer, in a performance that still gives me chills today. Reading Iqbal’s poem in English translation years later, I was drawn to its rhetorical mode, its drama and range of allusions and knew that eventually, I would write a poem inspired by it. The challenge was to create personal images and symbols while also speaking in a collective voice.”
Khaled Mattawa

 ‘Monsanto Has Worked Very Hard to Discredit Me and My Work’

Carey Gillam on Monsanto's attack on journalism

Janine Jackson interviewed US Right to Know’s Carey Gillam for the August 16, 2019, episode of CounterSpin, about being targeted by Monsanto. This is a lightly edited transcript 00:00

Play
Stop

MP3 Link

Janine Jackson: There’s an old saying but true, “News is something somebody doesn’t want printed. All else is advertising.” And while many a reporter would tell you they are telling the truth and letting the chips fall where they may, relatively few seem to really tread on toes powerful enough, forcibly enough, to generate a response.

Whitewash, by Carey Gillam

Our next guest is wearing that particular badge of honor at the moment. Carey Gillam is a veteran reporter, covering food and agriculture for Reuters for many years, and is now research director at the group US Right to Know. One thing Gillam thinks we have a right to know about is the impacts of pesticides made by Monsanto, which she explores in her book Whitewash: The Story of a Weedkiller, Cancer and the Corruption of Science; it’s out now from Island Press.

Who doesn’t want you to know what’s in that book, or take it seriously? Monsanto. And the agrochemical giant, now owned by Bayer

, is willing to go to some lengths to try and prevent that. Carey Gillam joins us now by phone from Kansas. Welcome back to CounterSpin, Carey Gillam.

Carey Gillam: Thank you, thanks for having me.

JJ: I know that you don’t want this to be about you; you’re not Monsanto’s only target. They go after all kinds of critics or questioners: journalists, activists, Neil Young, you know. And there’s no mystery why they’re so aggressive about image management: People have lots of concerns about genetically modified organisms, another product of theirs, and they’re losing lawsuits about the carcinogenic effects of their weedkiller Roundup

, which you have researched extensively. So I would first like to ask you just to tell us a little bit about the book Whitewash,and then about the nature of Monsanto’s backlash, which started, as I understand it, before the book was even published.

CG: Right. Yeah. I mean, the backlash started, well, more than a decade ago. As far as the book Whitewash, I started calling it The Book Monsanto Doesn’t Want You to Read. They filed a motion in court in one of the lawsuits, one of the big cancer lawsuits, before it went to trial, asking the judge to bar my book from being introduced as evidence.

And what we’ve seen recently is that they had in place a strategic plan, they involved a consulting company from Washington, DC, they had 20 different line items on a spreadsheet, all aimed at discrediting the book before it was released.

But the book is really—I’ve tried to make it very reader-friendly. It’s almost an academic exercise. It’s based on a lot of documents and a lot of data, and tracks the history of the rise of this chemical to become so pervasive in our environment that it’s found in our own bodies, that it’s found in our food and our water, and it’s in the soil and it’s affecting the environment and reducing biodiversity. It really has become, as I’ve said, very pervasive.

And so the book explores how that happened, how Monsanto manipulated and collaborated with regulators

to affect public policy and reduce the regulatory restrictions that should have been placed on this chemical. And it involves a lot of farmers and real stories of real people. So, it did win the Rachel Carson Book Award, and I’m very proud of the book."

A 19th-century IroquoisHaudenosaunee pouch donated by the Dikers and displayed in the Met’s American Wing. The pouch depicts sacred conjoined twins — central figures in the legends of New York’s Iroquois, or Haudenosaunee.jpg
A boy rides a horse at Qiong Ku Shi Tai Village in Yili, Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region.jpg
A boy rows his makeshift raft in the weed covered Sabarmati river in Ahmedabad, India.jpg
A boy selling knives is portrayed at the Grand Market of Bunia to the east of DR Congo..jpg
A boy skateboards next to reinforcements on a building in Basantapur Durbar Square, a World Heritage Site, in Kathmandu, Nepal.jpg
A boy somersaults off a boat under maintenance in a dry dock in Mumbai, India.jpg
A boy stands near a flooded street after Hurricane Matthew passed Cite-Soleil in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.jpg
A boy swims in a public pool in Trou Caiman, Haiti, on Wednesday..jpg
A boy takes a bath under a tap near a polluted water channel in Kolkata..jpg
A certain remorseless force has rendered the landscape badly scrambled.jpg
A coal miner in Min Kush. The city was known for its uranium, but there are also coal reserves. The workers walk three miles into the mountain each morning..jpg
A 100-foot bamboo idol of Goddess Durga put on display as part of Durga Puja festival, in Guwahati on Tuesday..jpg
A coal-fired power plant under construction in Ramagundam, Telangana State, India.jpg
A cobalt mine between Lubumbashi and Kolwezi in the Democratic Republic of the Congo..jpg
A coin with four sides..jpg
Nitza Tufiño’s “Pareja Taína (Taíno Couple).”CreditEl Museo del Barrio, New York.jpg
FIGURE 1 An early rendition of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. From Human Relations in Business (p. 41), Davis, 1957.jpeg
newfoundland.jpg
Newly immigrated tea garden labourers at work in colonial Assam..jpg
safety pin sitting on surface of water for his piece 'Surface Tension'.jpg
A 490-degree map of the world, highlighting the territories of the British Empire in red..jpg
A bald eagle with an eel it pulled from the mill pond in Centerport, NY, in April 2018.jpeg
A Balinese man watches Mount Agung volcano almost covered with clouds as he stands at a temple in Karangasem, Bali, Indonesia. An increasing frequency of tremors from the volcano indicates magma is continuing to move.jpg
A boy carries his sister’s pram after his house was burned in a fire that broke out in a slum in Jammu, India.jpg
A boy jumps into the sea at a pier ahead of Hurricane Matthew, in Les Cayes, Haiti,.jpg
A boy receives polio vaccine drops at Cantonment Railway Station in Karachi, Pakistan.jpg
A boy rides a bike by a bus that was set on fire during violent disturbances ahead of municipal elections in Sao Luis, Maranhao state, Brazi.jpg