Six on Schools: Coleman's College Board Hits a New Low; The Future of Public Education is at Serious Risk; Larry Cuban: Spill

philip panaritis

Feb 23, 2018, 12:07:22 AM2/23/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Schools: Coleman's College Board Hits a New Low; The Future of Public Education is at Serious Risk; Larry Cuban: Spilling the Beans on “Personalized Learning”; If Americans really cared about students’ mental health, these school ratios would be very different; Parents, students and teachers express their disbelief — and disgust; Detroit parents, teachers and youth push back on 'school choice' at education town hall

Coleman's College Board Hits a New Low

Most folks looked at the mass murders of students and faculty at Marjory Stoneman Douglass High and saw an unspeakable horror, a moment for national mourning and action. Unfortunately, some looked at it and saw a call to defend gun ownership against people who dared to think that human lives are more important than gun ownership.

And then there's David Coleman's College Board. Somebody there looked at the loss of life in Florida and saw, apparently, a marketing opportunity.

The Alliance for Quality Education (AQE) Should Not Be Publicly Battling the United Federation of Teachers (UFT): The Future of Public Education is at Serious Risk  see comment

https://mets2006.wordpress.com/2018/02/22/the-alliance-for-quality-education-aqe-should-not-be-publicly-battling-the-united-federation-of-teachers-uft-the-future-of-public-education-is-at-serious-risk/

"I spent a decade believing in this model—the map, the measure, and the library, all powered by big data algorithms.

Here’s the problem: The map doesn’t exist, the measurement is impossible, and we have, collectively, built only 5% of the library.

To be more precise: The map exists for early reading and the quantitative parts of K-8 mathematics, and much promising work on personalized learning has been done in these areas; but the map doesn’t exist for reading comprehension, or writing, or for the more complex areas of mathematical reasoning, or for any area of science or social studies. We aren’t sure whether you should learn about proteins then genes then traits—or traits, then genes, then proteins.

We also don’t have the assessments to place kids with any precision on the map. The existing measures are not high enough resolution to detect the thing that a kid should learn tomorrow. Our current precision would be like Google Maps trying to steer you home tonight using a GPS system that knows only that your location correlates highly with either Maryland or Virginia."

TAH Study Group at Columbus HS with author and Young Lords co-founder Mickey Melendez.jpg
The-most-successful-1zkqk2f-1q7aogj.jpg
The-nations-that-exhibit-2a2gxam.jpg
The-moment-we-begin-to.jpg
The Castle of the Pyrenees by René Magritte..jpg
the infant class, 1882.jpg
The Szondi test kit, with cards and analytic table..jpg
The vacation reading club - join now at your public library, 1939.jpg
the vaunted human capacity for reason may have more to do with winning arguments than with thinking straight..jpg
The_Daily_Grind, Philip Jackson.pdf
The-accumulation-of.jpg
The-American-system-is.jpg