Six on Food: “A Restaurant Is A Living, Breathing Part Of The Community”; Think of Kimchi as a Verb; How to buy crabs; 'How 'Shoebox Lunches' Made Black Travel Possible During Jim Crow; The Taste of Home: Four Cartoonists on Family Recipes and Me

panaritisp

Jul 6, 2020, 8:01:57 PM7/6/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana

Six on Food: “A Restaurant Is A Living, Breathing Part Of The Community”; Think of Kimchi as a Verb; How to buy crabs; 'How 'Shoebox Lunches' Made Black Travel Possible During Jim Crow; The Taste of Home: Four Cartoonists on Family Recipes and Memory; Choosing the best fats for frying will make your food tastier (and less greasy)

How 'Shoebox Lunches' Made Black Travel Possible During Jim Crow

Humble shoeboxes allowed African Americans to dine with dignity.

"Pre-made meals not only reduced costs but served as your breakfast, if your route was void of sites listed in The Negro Motorist Green Book, a paper directory created by Victor Greene to guide black drivers and voyagers. “I remember my first travel experience to visit my grandmother. I was around four years old. We’d catch a train from Seattle, Washington, to Pine Bluff, Arkansas. We brought food on the train,” says Patricia Patton, a retired hospitality professional and entrepreneur. “In the 1960s, my family brought a car, and we’d drive from the Pacific Northwest to San Diego to visit family. The cooler would be packed with enough to eat for three days.”

Many families started each trip by reminding kids of the rules—daylight bathroom pit stops only, and lunch served in the car. This extra caution was vital. “I was born in the late 1940s. I was not supposed to stare or look at people while traveling,” says Patton. “Often, my mother’s hand would tuck my forehead down, and no playfulness—we remained still to avoid any confrontation with white people.”

In Overground Railroad: The Green Book and the Roots of Black Travel in America, author Candacy A. Taylor makes it clear that women were the powerhouses that made getting to and fro easier. A mother’s to-do list then was more than untangling iPad chargers and buying granola bars; it was icing down a cooler and twisting handkerchiefs containing pinches of salt and pepper. The matriarch’s job included repositioning the Stanley-type thermos, filled with water, from shifting on the floorboard.

When it was time to eat, Taylor notes, a “shoebox lunch” was set up, and most often, it was cold fried chicken pieces, thickly sliced country ham sandwiches, buttery pound cake chunks, and winter oranges or backyard peaches. The condiment-slathered sandwiches and an unbreakable platter for the perfectly piped deviled eggs would likely sit high up in the cooler to avoid spoilage."

We Depend on Plastic. Now We’re Drowning in It..html
INGREDIENTS_FOOD_03_DoritosCool Ranch Doritos.jpg
INGREDIENTS_FOOD_13_ChickenNuggets Chicken McNugget, deconstructed.jpg
Hindu devotees offer food to a cow and a calf, and pray as part of the Pind Daan rituals performed for the soul of departed ancestors on the banks of the river Ganges in Allahabad.jpg
eople line up for food on Wednesday after Hurricane Matthew hit Jeremie, Hai.jpg
A monkey waits for food from devotees near the Ruwanwelisaya Stupa during a poya day, or full moon day, in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka.jpg
big-food-two rotating carousels of this milking parlor operate 22 hours a day, milking 7,900 cows three times each. Rosendale Dairy, WI.jpg
big-food-Omaha Steaks main plant.png
big-food-Salinas, Calif., artisan lettuce.jpg
Protesters near a burning fast food restaurant in Minneapolis early Friday. Fed Up.jpg
A food bank line in Brooklyn in April coronavirus.jpg
A food cart serving rice and chicken on a side street off Istiklal, where decrepit buildings are a common sight.jpg
meatpackers coronavirus food.jpg
A school staff member stands by a display of food available for any student to pick up at PS 130 in Chinatown. coronavirus.jpg
Americans Stock Up On Food as COVID-19 Concerns Rise coronavirus.jpeg
Tony Weber (left) and Ferdinand Schaller (right) with their old Dodge in front of the original store in 1937 food.jpg
-kfc-donuts.w chicken fried-chicken fillet sandwiched between two glazed doughnuts food.jpg
Trying to sort truth about food from fiction can be overwhelming.jpg
A 20th-century public education guide from China shows how plague can be spread by rats and fleas, and offers advice about how to trap rats and handle trash and food to prevent them from coming back.jfif
A young Daasanach fisherman guts and cleans a fish on the Eastern shore of Lake Turkana near the boarder of Ethiopia and Kenya.jpg
italian%20food.jpg
Split%20Rock%20Golf%20House%20Food%20Concession-Pelham%20Bay%20Park-the%20Bronx-September%2010-1940.jpg
The Housewives League in action for WW1 food aid, New York..jpg
SEPARATION IS EVERYWHERE, EVEN IN LINE Food outlets, like this café in Riyadh, must follow unique Saudi laws All lines, counters, and eating areas are divided to keep unrelated men and women apart,.jpg
Families begin their journey home from the Estayesh food distribution site in Denkena Kebele, Meket Woreda, Ethiopia [AP].jpg
Pastor Tibor Varga distributes food to refugees from Afghanistan in Subotica, Serbia, in June 2015..jpg