Six on Native Americans: ‘Their Spirits Were Trapped in Those Masks’; George Washington and the Mohawk Frontier; The Two Bull

panaritisp

Feb 11, 2019, 12:25:26 PM2/11/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Native Americans: ‘Their Spirits Were Trapped in Those Masks’; George Washington and the Mohawk Frontier; The Two Bulls family leads an Indigenous art renaissance; Elizabeth Warren's other 'American Indian' problem; TRAIL OF TEARS NATIONAL HISTORIC TRAIL VIDEO;Our national shame: The racism inherent in our First Nations water crisis

The Two Bulls family leads an Indigenous art renaissance

 Elizabeth Warren's other 'American Indian' problem | Newsday

 “TRAIL OF TEARS NATIONAL HISTORIC TRAIL VIDEO”

"the National Park Service, in collaboration with the Cherokee Nation, produced a video which tells the story of the Trail of Tears from the Cherokee perspective. The 30-minute documentary was written by Cherokee Nation citizen Shane Smith, and tells the story of the Cherokee families who experienced the Trail of Tears, often telling the story in the Cherokee language"

 Our national shame: The racism inherent in our First Nations water crisis

"Certainly, many of these villages are remote, fly-in only. Getting heavy duty machinery into them is not easy, and has been a factor in some of the delays. But you can only use that as an excuse for so long. It’s more difficult to rely on as a reason when you’re talking about communities that haven’t had access to safe drinking water for 25 years. And while that situation is particularly absurd, there are many Indigenous people that haven’t had good, reliable water to consume for several years.

There have been documented deaths in Indigenous communities related to bad water, but we barely hear a peep about them. Of course, if this was happening in anything resembling an urban centre in Canada there would be a national uproar. Remember Walkerton?

Which leads to the question: How much does racism play in our water crisis in Canada? Is the situation here Flint, Mich., writ large? Based on the best available evidence, it’s difficult to conclude otherwise."

indians-native-americans-world-war-i The American Indians who served with Company E, 142nd Infantry, 36th Division, during World War I were some of the nation's first code-talkers.jpg
he Carlisle Indian Industrial School was a government-backed institution that forcibly separated Native American children from their parents in order to, as Pratt put it, “kill the Indian in him, and save the man.”.jpg
A member of the Yurok Tribe pulls salmon from his gill net on the Klamath River on the Yurok Indian Reservation in Northern California.jpg
CO700-NORTH AMERICAN COLONIES GENERAL12 (6 of 8) Southern Indian District of North America 1775.jpgBritain’s Futile Attempt to Keep American Colonists From Taking Tribal Land.jpg
wounded-knee-church-ap.jpgIn this March 3, 1973 file photo, a U.S. flag flies upside down outside a church occupied by members of the American Indian Movement (AIM), on the site of the 1890 massacre at Wounded Knee, S.D..jpg
cherokee_seminole_removal.pdf
#StandingRockSyllabus – NYC Stands with Standing Rock.html
Winter_in_the_Valley_of_the_Mohawk.jpg
home_page_collage.png
An illustration of ancient Native Americans in what is today called the Upward Sun River site in central Alaska..jpg
Chief Ninham Monument dog run.doc
Women dressed as Native Americans join the parade..jpg
dont_take_our_voices_away native voices climate change.pdf
Indian Tribes of SC.jpg
Pictured in 1879, they played for Pennsylvania’s Carlisle Indian Industrial School. Jim Thorpe bottom right.jpg
sioux-children1“Hampton Institute, Hampton, Va. – before entering school – seven Indian children of uneducated parents 1897.”.jpg
andrew_jackson_indian_removal.pdf